Do you buy sample packs? (loops, one-shots)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Do you buy sample packs? (loops, one-shots)

Yes
52%
No
25%
Almost never
21%
All the time
2%

Total votes: 112

RELATED
PRODUCTS

For a long time I almost only bought drum one shots. Meanwhile I almost only buy loops. Preferrably tops only. And nothing else than Apple Loops (I work with Logic). Here and there I also buy vocals, although they are hardly used in the final version. I tend to use them as an inspirational starting point.

Finally it's all up to my customers. Most of them want results fast, so drum loops are a great way to start. It's not fun to them to watch me creating cool drums in hours. After they leave, I start to recreate the groove of the loops with samples.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

'Almost never'. That translates into very very very rarely.

SampleScience wrote:
Jorgeelalto wrote:I like buying drums, percussion, sound effects and transitions, both in loop format or one shots, but I don't really like buying synth loops and melodies, it certainly feels like buying premade songs :S
Funny that your say that you don't like synth loops and melodies, in a Future Producer thread about the use of loops a member wrote the exact opposite; he feels that using drum loops is like cheating but synth loops is all fine. It's kind of strange but I guess it depends on the genre of music you're producing, as some genre are more beat oriented the melody will end up being in the background.
Well, the drum loops I use are sliced, rearranged and mixed with other loops and one-shots, so it's not that I use directly the loop to substitute drum busses. I'm not getting the percussion part done just throwing some loops, but it helps me since I enjoy the natural feeling in percussions but I don't want to record them (and I really can't).

I think the only time in about 10 years was this year. I bought a promo drum hits pack foor something like $1, in this year's sales (Yet to audition), and I bought a loop instrument from Looploft (Cinematic something or other), which functions asa Kontakt instrument, and offers more functionality than just a straight loop player (One of those loops made it into my Synthmaster competition project :tu:)

Otherwise, not so into it. Far more interested in putting my audio recorders to use, and developing my own loops

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I think the only time in about 10 years was this year. I bought a promo drum hits pack foor something like $1, in this year's sales (Yet to audition), and I bought a loop instrument from Looploft (Cinematic something or other), which functions asa Kontakt instrument, and offers more functionality than just a straight loop player (One of those loops made it into my Synthmaster competition project :tu:)

Otherwise, not so into it. Far more interested in putting my audio recorders to use, and developing my own loops
The Producers Choice pack? That one is beautifully good :D

Jorgeelalto wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I think the only time in about 10 years was this year. I bought a promo drum hits pack foor something like $1, in this year's sales (Yet to audition), and I bought a loop instrument from Looploft (Cinematic something or other), which functions asa Kontakt instrument, and offers more functionality than just a straight loop player (One of those loops made it into my Synthmaster competition project :tu:)

Then it looks like I saved my loop/hit virginity for 'the right one' :P

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Jorgeelalto wrote:

Then it looks like I saved my loop/hit virginity for 'the right one' :P
Well, that's a personal opinion of mine, so I don't assure you will like it... :hihi:

But yeah, better overall quality than other packs.

I don't like loops at all. But I do like drum samples.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickamandote wrote:I don't like loops at all. But I do like drum samples.
I don't like using loops, as is, but they can be great to butcher for hits :tu:

I buy only drums one-shots, but it has to be something really interesting because I already have too much of them (and I'm definitely not a sample libraries collector, I think I bought no more than 10 packs in my whole life).
I don't like browsing through tons of samples (I still do it, because that's the workflow when working with samples). If I buy a new library, it has to become my go-to choice for a certain sound/vibe/task (so that's kinda hard, because it competes with the libraries I already own).

Anyway, since I bought a decent analog drum machine, I see myself using less drum samples than before (maybe to layer or to add thing not possible with my drum machine); that reduces my appetite for samples.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Vortifex wrote: IIRC Orbital said they used some drum loops on at least one of their albums.
That would be the "Brown Album".

I only buy high-quality one shot drum samples.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:I only buy high-quality one shot drum samples.
Any recommendations?

Only one-shots, of which I have enough right now I think.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”