Do you buy sample packs? (loops, one-shots)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Do you buy sample packs? (loops, one-shots)

Yes
52%
No
25%
Almost never
21%
All the time
2%

Total votes: 112

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not counting Kontakt and Sfz instruments, do people still buy sample packs (the kind of stuff Loopmasters are selling)? If so, what are you looking for in particular? Acoustic riffs, advanced sound design, Foley?

I'm asking the question because this is something I find myself doing less and less. A couple of years ago I was heavily into it but now I'm more into plugin instruments and playable sounds.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

I buy one shot drum samples mostly and occasionally loops that I chop up to create one shot samples
Play it by ear

I go for vocals packs, (although not for a while now), and classical Indian sounds - tablas loops, especially.
Everything else, I use synths/romplers.

Googly Smythe wrote:I go for vocals packs, (although not for a while now), and classical Indian sounds - tablas loops, especially.
I've learned to chop and rearrange vocals in fun ways. Do you extract the grooves from your tabla loops? This is something I've learned to do recently and it really makes a difference in my drum loop programming.

I'd buy (specific) percussion and vocal sample packs. I've no real interest in other stuff, as i'm mostly using synths, and sometimes Kontakt Player with a sample library, or built in DAW romplers.

SampleScience wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:I go for vocals packs, (although not for a while now), and classical Indian sounds - tablas loops, especially.
I've learned to chop and rearrange vocals in fun ways. Do you extract the grooves from your tabla loops? This is something I've learned to do recently and it really makes a difference in my drum loop programming.
I usually leave them as is, although on occasion I've reversed a sample, here and there.
Back in the day I made use of the groove facilities in Cubase (forgotten what they called it - Studio Tracks? I know it was on a separate floppy) , but that was on my Atari...

I always find inspiration from buying sample packs with midi. Take one midi sample from them, chop, change key etc and create a full track from that instance. It makes a great starting point.

No.....there's plenty to be had for free! Even then I seldom use them.

I like buying drums, percussion, sound effects and transitions, both in loop format or one shots, but I don't really like buying synth loops and melodies, it certainly feels like buying premade songs :S

I used to buy Future Music and Computer Music magazines. I stopped (no money, got repetitive). I bought Hollow Sun's FS1R sample set as a thank you to Steve for his many incredible free sample sets.

Thus ended my sample buying, about five years ago now.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

No

I am always on the hunt for GOOD sample packs. I usually purchase multitrack instrumental loops like Kingsway Libraries because they are performed like old 70's music (my favorite to sample) but are royalty free.

Besides that, just funky stuff. Stuff that is hard to replicate with computers. Vocals, guitar riffs, brass (especially brass). Never synths though.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Single-shots. Looking for good cinematic / orchestral drums atm.

Kalee wrote:Single-shots. Looking for good cinematic / orchestral drums atm.
Part 1 and 2 for $5 each. I purchased them for their midi. Well worth it.
https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/wav- ... al-pack-2/

Jorgeelalto wrote:I like buying drums, percussion, sound effects and transitions, both in loop format or one shots, but I don't really like buying synth loops and melodies, it certainly feels like buying premade songs :S
Funny that your say that you don't like synth loops and melodies, in a Future Producer thread about the use of loops a member wrote the exact opposite; he feels that using drum loops is like cheating but synth loops is all fine. It's kind of strange but I guess it depends on the genre of music you're producing, as some genre are more beat oriented the melody will end up being in the background.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”