TAL Sampler

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Sampler

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Also - Why don't sample start, end, loop start and end, and fade respond to automation? The controls are there in the parameter list but they don't move when the daw controls change. Other controls change.
I thought it was just me who couldn't work this out. Thanks for confirming it is indeed broken and not user error.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Also - Why don't sample start, end, loop start and end, and fade respond to automation? The controls are there in the parameter list but they don't move when the daw controls change. Other controls change.
I thought it was just me who couldn't work this out. Thanks for confirming it is indeed broken and not user error.
Do you know if it worked in previous versions, e.g. stable 2.0 or 1.9? If the parameters are there then it must be broken, or maybe it's a planned feature. I didn't have a need to use those with automation so far.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Has there ever been talking of having import an feature for hardware sampler formats such as the Akai format? I think that would be really cool.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote:Has there ever been talking of having import an feature for hardware sampler formats such as the Akai format? I think that would be really cool.
+101 :D It didn't occur to me [weird as I use S3200], but yes at least Akai format would be really nice. Even just S1000 format would be sufficient. ShortCircuit has it. :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

At first glance, this could be indeed a great feature. Then a lot of user will ask for EMU or Ensoniq format support, next to Akai. Plus there are the all the neat features within those formats besides the obvious ones, that need to be imported as well like: loop points, velocity layers, etc.

Although cool to have, I believe this would just end up in a big mess. Nobody has actually been able to implement a *FULLY* working solution. Best example is Chicken Systems Translator. Brrr... never worked as it promises. I'd say it is impossible to get a proper import and conversion from such sophisticated, feature loaded, proprietery, not open source formats.

Or were you talking about only importing the raw audio file?
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

DuX wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Do you know if it worked in previous versions, e.g. stable 2.0 or 1.9? If the parameters are there then it must be broken, or maybe it's a planned feature. I didn't have a need to use those with automation so far.
I have no idea. I just demoed it.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
DuX wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
In case anybody is still trying to automate loop mode, here is the process:

1. Assign Either P1-P4 as a source in the Mod Matrix
2. As a destination, select the source you would like to modulate (sample start/end, loop start/end)
3. Make sure you have the Amount in the Mod Matrix turned all the way to the right
4. Midi Learn the Performance control that you selected as a source in the Mod Matrix (P1-P4)

So in short, to automate the start/end points for the loop or sample, you have to assign those to a performance control in the Mod Matrix. Those knobs aren't directly assignable, Im afraid.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Saukar30 wrote:
DuX wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:

2. As a destination, select the source you would like to modulate (sample start/end, loop start/end)
3. Make sure you have the Amount in the Mod Matrix turned all the way to the right
4. Midi Learn the Performance control that you selected as a source in the Mod Matrix (P1-P4)

So in short, to automate the start/end points for the loop or sample, you have to assign those to a performance control in the Mod Matrix. Those knobs aren't directly assignable, Im afraid.
Thanks for this info, ive been looking all over for a sampler that can make this exactly that you are describing here. Ive been point to TAL SAMPLER in other topi here ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=505485&p=7089750#p7089750 ) But even i checked start and end loop points can be LINKED, they are not assignable = (

Do you - or anyone - knows a tool that can do that ? assign the loop bar to a know and move it freely scanning thorugh the sample ??

Would be a great update to TAL S. since i love everything else in it.

thanks!
PROGRESSIVE NEVER DIES

frangellico wrote:
Saukar30 wrote:
DuX wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:

Thanks for this info, ive been looking all over for a sampler that can make this exactly that you are describing here. Ive been point to TAL SAMPLER in other topi here ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=505485&p=7089750#p7089750 ) But even i checked start and end loop points can be LINKED, they are not assignable = (

Do you - or anyone - knows a tool that can do that ? assign the loop bar to a know and move it freely scanning thorugh the sample ??

Would be a great update to TAL S. since i love everything else in it.

thanks!
Np. What you're talking about doing is scanning through a sound vs playing it. That would require a different type of sampler that does wavescanning. Probably the best of the wavescanners you'll find are in Reaktor from Native Instruments.

^ Thats right a wave scanner, like Cataract from Glitchmachines.

I’ve been loving on TAL Sampler for a while now. I never use it for “real” sounding instruments, but more as a sample based synth. One thing I wouldn’t mind would be the ability to choose an actual VA oscillator instead of a sample for the layers. Anything from his other synths would be fine. I wouldn’t mind a second filter either... maybe a dedicated high pass? OK, while I’m begging, why not a fourth MSEG with loop functions? :phones:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:I’ve been loving on TAL Sampler for a while now. I never use it for “real” sounding instruments, but more as a sample based synth. One thing I wouldn’t mind would be the ability to choose an actual VA oscillator instead of a sample for the layers. Anything from his other synths would be fine. I wouldn’t mind a second filter either... maybe a dedicated high pass? OK, while I’m begging, why not a fourth MSEG with loop functions? :phones:
Hey Zerocrossing. If you have the newest version of Tal Sampler, you should notice that each of the sample layers has a dedicated Highpass & Lowpass filter already.

Thanks a lot Saukar and Pekbro !! i will check Catarat and for some other "wave scanning" vst.

I was aware of the Reaktor aproach, i posted the FRAME 3 ensemble in the other post, great piece! but im not very confortable in the Raktor enviroment yet.

Will check on that wave scaning tip then, big thanks!
PROGRESSIVE NEVER DIES

TAL-Sampler has been updated to v2.4.0
Play sample from curser position when click at waveform in mapping view (v 2.4.0)
Load ROM's direct from layer view (v 2.4.0)
UI improved (v 2.4.0)
Bug fixes (v 2.4.0)
I like that Patrick added the feature to play (and stop) the sample by clicking anywhere on a waveform in the mapping editor. I guess many would say that I shouldn't give too much thought to this feature, but I believe it could be improved.

For example, there is no way to disable it, hence the sample will play whenever you left click or right click, even when you are in SLICE mode and click on a waveform to create a new slice. Maybe others don't mind it, but I don't see the point to play a sample when the new slice is made. Also, I think that PLAY button seems to be kind of redundant now. Its only function is to play the sample (or slice) from the START to the END. The same action can now be done via click on a waveform.

I would like to send Patrick an email and help him improve this function, but I need more opinions because I'm not certain what would be the best solution to this. At this moment, I think one of these suggestions could be considered:

1. Probably the simplest one: playing of the sample is only enabled with a right mouse click on a waveform. PLAY button functions the same as before. Slicing works only with a left mouse click.

2. Making the PLAY button as a toggle – when PLAY button is ON (becomes green), you can play/stop sample by clicking anywhere on a waveform. Also works in SLICE mode (if you like) when both PLAY and SLICE buttons are ON (green). If you don't need to play the sample with the mouse click (i.e., when slicing), disable the PLAY buton (becomes grey) – now mouse click does not trigger the playing of the sample anymore. It could look like this: https://i.imgur.com/22iecUR.png

What are your thoughts? If I recall correctly, TX16WX v2 also had a feature to play the sample by clicking on a waveform, although I can't remember if it was toggled with a left click or a right click.

EDIT: had a look at the TX16WX v3 manual and it says that play back of the currently active wave is able by clicking and holding the left mouse button inside the sample view area. Maybe the same approach could be applied to the TAL-Sampler?

Patrick is absolutely killing it with TAL Sampler. A fantastic instrument with a new perfect workflow.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”