64 bit SF2 player (SFZ alternative)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh, and one last thing - lfo controls over FX parameters...

I can't speak for everybody else, but the only reason I still care about SF2s is that I have some old ones which only play properly in SFZ (the VSTi). I am not looking at converting anything to SF2.
If I could convert those SF2s to SFZ (the format) properly it would be great, because there are several good and 64bit VSTis with SFZ support.

I tried using jBridge too, but it's not very stable in Live.

The problem is some things are looped, some thing are one shots, some things are stereo, some thing are mono....

There literally is no standard....

It is an odd mixture of "whatever anyone feels like"....

Logga wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:14 pm If I could convert those SF2s to SFZ (the format) properly it would be great, because there are several good and 64bit VSTis with SFZ support.
So convert to SFZ using Sforzando* (free 64-bit SFZ alternative), then you can edit the SFZ to taste.

* see post 4 of this thread

Pytchblend wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:04 pm
Logga wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:14 pm If I could convert those SF2s to SFZ (the format) properly it would be great, because there are several good and 64bit VSTis with SFZ support.
So convert to SFZ using Sforzando* (free 64-bit SFZ alternative), then you can edit the SFZ to taste.

* see post 4 of this thread
I'm pretty sure the sfz files you get from the Sforzando sf2> sfz conversion won't play in other sfz format players because Sforzando, as part of the process, also converts all the separate sample wavs into one long wav (then uses offset instructions to home in on the samples). Other sfz players must get confused by that...or something...I'm no expert
Last edited by goldglob on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sfzed can convert SF2 to SFZ for free, not sure about the accuracy
http://audio.clockbeat.com/sfZed.html

Import the sf2 into ESC... and export to sfz.

This should work.

I tried this on the emulatorII sf2 pack, which would only play back correct on rgc sfz.

I imported the sf2 into ESC, and exporting to either sf2 or sfz, creates an instrument that now works in most other sf2 or sfz players.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

It does convert to SFZ, but those conversions are often not good. Specifically, ESC mostly fails to convert the sustained notes/loops properly. With one-hit sounds like drums it usually works, though.

I'm sure this must have been discussed somewhere else by now, but I just noticed a few days ago that Kontakt 6 will not load sf2. I was using Kontakt 5 for sf2 for a while, though not very often. It was just a surprise to me that 6 would not load them!

SCprogfan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:56 pm It was just a surprise to me that (Kontakt-)6 would not load them (sf-2 files)!
Yeah, NI-Kontakt is silently heading for becoming a closed system. :scared:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”