64 bit SF2 player (SFZ alternative)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a 64 bit Soundfont playing VSTi. Preferably freeware or cheap, but it should works as good as SFZ.

The only freeware I found so far is TX16Wx, but the SF2 support is so so. Tried a couple commercial ones under 100 moneys and they were even worse.

(Alternatively, a SF2 to SFZ converter that works properly and then a 64 bit SFZ playing VSTi. I tried sfZed and Alchemy and neither worked as good as SFZ.)

I have not tried it, but I know LinuxSampler has SF2 support. Not sure how good it is, but considering how few options there are you might as well give it a go.

Thanks. I tried LinuxSampler and it would crash before I could hit a note. But even if it worked, I don't think I'd want to use something so clunky with Java and all..

Extreme Sample Converter (Windows only) can convert SF2 -> SFZ:

http://www.extranslator.com/index.php?page=exsc

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

I tried that too. It wouldn't convert some soundfonts accurately. And when it did they would likely play nicely in SFZ but not in Alchemy, for example.

Is SFZ really the only plugin that can play SF2 and SFZ properly? Or is it just that most SF2 and SFZ libraries are made for SFZ [the plugin]?

Checking out any Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra discussions will probably help. Their home page at http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/index.html lists Dimension Pro/LE and the ARIA Engine as good options.

Some people have reported Alchemy Player as being pretty good, but missing some opcodes like Transpose, which may or may not matter to you. See thus thread for some things people tried http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=73552

Woops. Sorry bout that, missed the SF2, read it as SFZ.

Nevermind! :oops:

ermi wrote:Is SFZ really the only plugin that can play SF2 and SFZ properly?
The reason for SFZ in the first place was René's complete frustration with software support for SF2. Either you had a Creative Labs sound card or they sounded crap. Unfortunately, the format has sufficient limitations that it's not taken particularly seriously.

And that's why René produced the SFZ format.
ermi wrote:Or is it just that most SF2 and SFZ libraries are made for SFZ [the plugin]?
I've no idea why anyone continues producing SF2 files, other than they're probably loadable most widely. They still sound crap in most implementations I've found, though. No one's particularly interested in improving the situation. The sampler companies (NI, Steinberg, Cakewalk, etc, etc) are perfectly happy to produce their own, proprietary formats which suit the products they want to produce. Their customers are happy, too, as the products then sound excellent, unlike the crap-sounding SF2 files loaded into the same sampler. (Hmm! :lol:)

SFZ libraries can be written, just about, to work on a number of SFZ players reasonably well. There are problems. No standard for SFZ exists. There is documentation for SFZ 1 format (Cakewalk's and mine) and for SFZ 2 format (Simon Cann's and LinuxSampler's). But these aren't standards. So any implementation can choose to add or remove bits (none of the Cakewalk SFZ implementations is the same, for start).

By the way, I've found LinuxSampler mostly stable and the Java is only the UI process - which is completely separate from the audio engine process. (It's ugly, admittedly...) There's an alternate UI, too.

ermi wrote:I tried that too. It wouldn't convert some soundfonts accurately. And when it did they would likely play nicely in SFZ but not in Alchemy, for example.
I guess you mean "would not play nicely in Alchemy"?

What type of problems occurred? It would be useful to know so that we can improve our SFZ support. Was the octave wrong, some notes playing incorrect samples, or something else related to expression or articulation?

Peace,
Andy.

pljones: I see what you mean. Yeah, it's really too bad we don't a free and clearly defined standard for sample libraries. I guess the market is really too small for sample players to compete on their own without samples.

ZenPunkHippy: Off top of my head, with two piano SFZs (converted from SF2): one had only the lowest velocity layer playing and the other was way louder in the left channel.

ermi wrote:Off top of my head, with two piano SFZs (converted from SF2): one had only the lowest velocity layer playing and the other was way louder in the left channel.
Hi,

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the delay - have been away for a few days.

Have you tried the same SFZ in another player? Does it work OK? Assuming this is something caused by Alchemy we may be able to fix it for the v1.30 release.

If the SF2 file is free post a link and I can test it myself using ESC, it might a setting that is causing this.

Otherwise, the best thing to do is send us a copy of the SFZ file generated by ESC so that we can check for any problems. Email as an attachment to support [at] camelaudio [dot] com. No need for the samples, as we can provide our own - just the SFZ is fine.

Peace,
Andy.

I've sent you a PM.

Does the current Alchemy Player now play the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra SFZ files correctly?

@ermi - I got the new file, will check it out soon.
LAGinz wrote:Does the current Alchemy Player now play the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra SFZ files correctly?
We have fixed a bug with the SFZ implementation of Alchemy Player for v1.30. We are expecting to release the update in a few weeks time.

Peace,
Andy.

Hey ZenPunkHippy, what are the chances of you guys creating a SFZ mapping tool like iRompler except more complete? We need a tool that will allow us to create instruments in SFZ without having to worry about opcodes and stuff. I've been using SFZed, but something easier would be much preferred, and there is a market for such a program. ...and besides, you guys use SFZ as your main sample base. :-)

By the way, what do YOU guys use?

--Sean

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”