Making free samples available...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dacaumodo wrote:As for releasing your music under creative commons, it is by far the most straightforward and easiest way of making official what you allow people to do with your music, so long as you're releasing it yourself and for free.
I disagree. I simply allow the free download and keep all other standard rights. That does the trick for me.
No new copyright model is needed, the old one is ok to me already.

I don't dig cc and don't intend to use it.

If other people think it is a good thing and they wanna use for their music, it's fine by me. Go ahead. just not my cup of tea, that's all.

p.s.
we're getting very OT here...

To all whom know alot more about 'Torrents' than i do. I am sure they do have alot of advantages and having read a wikipedia page or two i get the idea of how they work. Still they are quite strange still to me and i do not think that i would feel comfortable using that method unless i had no choice. Hopefully the bad reputation they get and i myself wrongly thought them as being/misconception = my bad/ignorance will be put right in future. Thanks for the information and links. Always ready to admit when i am wrong and always ready to learn. Cheers for some fair information regarding the world of torrents :)

Dean/Nekro

MediaFire is the one i use myself, another out of many which seems good and for my needs for nothing is fine and it also seems to be a bit less pop-up ridden than others. I wouldn't use the free account for sharing sample packs mind, on the plus side it does allow other users to simply 'Copy file(s) over into their own account' which whilst i never have read the small print and exactly how it works, at least lets users save links shared into their accounts and download straight from their files and not the intial sharing link/account. Im no tech info brain on this area so it could be aload of crap but so far its been good to me personally :)

I don't really see what's the fuss... unless you really want to have a beautiful webpage to present your samples there is plenty of options & by reading this thread I have learn about ones I never heard of before.

I have release two free sample packs & my breakbeat packs got downloaded more than 10 000 times using megaupload + the kind hosting of Rekkerd.org. As far as I'm concerned I never got any complaints about links not working. Quite the opposite, I've got compliments & questions about how I've created some of the sounds in the packs.

To sums things up, here is a list of all the places where you can host free samples:

http://www.freesound.org/
http://www.archive.org/
http://ccmixter.org/
http://www.clearbits.net/

To quickly upload files:

http://www.megaupload.com/
http://www.mediafire.com/

My free samples on my site:

http://browncoffeerec.110mb.com/sounds.html

If it wasn't of Rekkerd.org generous help I would probably use Freesounds & Archive.org. Especially Archive.org which have been there for a long time & have a download counter. For megaupload I can only estimate with my website visits stats.

So I don't see any reason why it should cost something, unless you really want to host the sounds yourself, then it will obviously cost something (& a lot!).

Torrents would be a perfect solution.
"Would"!
I have been using Azureus and utorrent under Windows and Tomato Torrent and Transmission under OSX.
They are all CPU hogs as much as it gets. Nothing I'd keep running while I was working on music at least - but that's the very purpose of torrents (and any decentralized filesharing network), as many people as possible should keep their torrent clients up and running so the files will indeed stay active. If there was a truly lightweight torrent client, that could be a nice solution.

Re: Private FTP servers
Forget about it. Not only that you'd have to keep the machine switched on and online 24/7, most likely (as with all typical ADSL connections) you'll also have a fairly limited upload rate, so downloads from your site will become very slow, especially in case more people are downloading simultaneously.

- Sascha
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

pljones wrote:
izonin wrote:has anyone suggested running an ftp server on your own machine yet? i believe that's how it was done in the pre-torrents era
The downside here is if your ISP decides you've exceeded your upload bandwidth allowance, you get completely cut off. Nice... Oh, and ADSL uplinks aren't as fast as downlinks, either, so you'll have unhappy downloaders still moaning "why is it so slow when 10 other people are competing for the 1MB/s link you're providing?"... :lol:

Other than that, it's a good idea for taking control of your content.
then set up your own torrents site. it only takes 20 minutes, and you get full control over the content. you can share GBytes with thousands of users this way.

Sascha Franck wrote: Re: Private FTP servers
Forget about it. Not only that you'd have to keep the machine switched on and online 24/7, most likely (as with all typical ADSL connections) you'll also have a fairly limited upload rate, so downloads from your site will become very slow, especially in case more people are downloading simultaneously.

- Sascha
if you have quality content to share the least you can do is to leave your machine running 24/7.

izonin wrote:if you have quality content to share the least you can do is to leave your machine running 24/7.
No, not sharing it at all would be the least one could do. Sharing it something the first place doesn't actually come with further obligations.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
izonin wrote:if you have quality content to share the least you can do is to leave your machine running 24/7.
No, not sharing it at all would be the least one could do. Sharing it something the first place doesn't actually come with further obligations.
i'll assume that you're being sarcastic.

izonin wrote:i'll assume that you're being sarcastic.
dont.

whyterabbyt wrote:
dont.
if you don't want to share them, why put all the effort in creating them in the first place? creating is phase 1, sharing is phase 2 - none works without the other. and if you don't want to pay $400 a month for a dedicated server you'll have to think of a smarter solution.

izonin wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
dont.
if you don't want to share them, why put all the effort in creating them in the first place? creating is phase 1, sharing is phase 2 - none works without the other. and if you don't want to pay $400 a month for a dedicated server you'll have to think of a smarter solution.
For one's own personal use i would of thought

izonin wrote:if you don't want to share them, why put all the effort in creating them in the first place?
cart before horse. if you create them, then decide to share them, you dont suddenly have more obligations than that.
creating is phase 1, sharing is phase 2 - none works without the other.
erm, wrong. creation 'works' without any obligation to share.
and if you don't want to pay $400 a month for a dedicated server you'll have to think of a smarter solution.
that doesnt somehow put the onus on someone to provide a 24/7 service.

whyterabbyt wrote:
Yeah can you sample your modular for me and all them weevils and stuff just because you can? I expect them mapped for every format going and if there is anything not to my liking im gonna spit my dummy out ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gygxdi1tr1t/NSA Custom Series Drumkit (Multi-Samples).rar

If anyone wants them feel free, i use them along with toontrack music's stuff to get the best 'real' drum sound i can do

Nekro

whyterabbyt wrote: cart before horse. if you create them, then decide to share them, you dont suddenly have more obligations than that.
check the title of this thread. it's about ways of sharing.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”