Making free samples available...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

By the way, Megaupload used to have a business service where you could pay like $25 for a terabyte of bandwidth, plus five bucks a month, and you could hotlink to the files. No waiting for a counter to go down, and no signing up or other hoops to jump through. I had an account at one time, but I let it lapse and I haven't found it on their site since then.

I know Megaupload is also used for wrong, probably even most of the time. But because of the hotlinking, it was a viable option.

Brent
My host is better than your host

thecontrolcentre wrote:
hollowsun wrote:look at the T&C small print for the definition of 'unlimited' with your web hoster - it may well not be.
The big print says "Disk Space - Unlimited! Monthly Data Transfer - Unlimited! The small print however ...
Doteasy wrote:Disk and Bandwidth Usage

What do you mean by "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth?

We want you to have a successful online presence so Doteasy.com does not set an arbitrary limit or cap on the amount of resources you can use. We believe your website(s) should not be constrained by arbitrary quotas on disk space, bandwidth, or even e-mail. The Doteasy Unlimited Hosting Plans are designed with small to medium, independently owned and operated businesses and/or personal websites in mind. For these customers, the Doteasy Unlimited Hosting Plans are unlimited.
What's not allowed in "Unlimited"?

Doteasy "Unlimited" Hosting Plans are provisioned in a shared hosting environment, which means a number of customers' accounts are hosted on the same server. To help ensure optimal services for all our customers, we do required you to be fully compliant with our Terms and Conditions and utilize disk space and bandwidth related to the normal operation of a normal personal or small to medium business website. Our "Unlimited" plans are not intended to support the greater web hosting needs of large enterprises or act as an online storage warehouse and/or media file streaming/sharing hub.

For specific examples of things not allowed please view:
http://www.doteasy.com/Terms/index.cfm?T=TAC#5b
What will happen if we go beyond normal usage?

For those who exceed the usage of a normal personal or small/medium-business website, we may need to put constraints on account to prevent the adverse affects on other customers' accounts. These accounts will be will be flagged by Doteasy Administrators and anti-abuse controls. Clients will then be asked to consider a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server services provided by Doteasy.
Doteasy wrote:5. Definition of Unlimited Usage

What "Unlimited" means. Doteasy does not set an arbitrary limit on the amount of resources an account can use. The Doteasy Unlimited Hosting Plan is designed to serve the web hosting needs of small to medium, independently owned and operated businesses and/or personal websites. For these customers, the Doteasy Unlimited Hosting plan is unlimited.

What "Unlimited" DOES NOT mean. The accounts are not intended to support the greater web hosting needs of large enterprises or to be used as an online storage warehouse to store: backups, archiving of electronic files or emails, documents, log files, etc. or used as media file streaming/sharing hub.

Reselling any of the "Unlimited" accounts' resources is strictly prohibited. Any accounts found to be reselling resources will immediately be suspended with or without notice. Reselling of account resources is permitted only if you are using a Reseller Hosting Plan, a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server.

Doteasy "Unlimited" services are provisioned in a shared hosting environment; Any account found to be adversely affect the performance of other customers' accounts by excessively using network bandwidth, server storage, memory and CPU resources, will be flagged by Doteasy administrators and anti-abuse controls. Clients will then be asked to consider a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server services. Serious offenses will result in the account service suspension or termination, with or without notice.
:?
Quite!

Told ya so :wink:

It's something of a minefield and why enthusiastic free sample altruists come unstuck when their site is suddenly shut down because they've offered a freebie or two.

Which was the point of this whole thread!

Even if you have a web hosting service that claims 'unlimited' bandwidth, it's not all they claim in the small print of their T&C ... as so many (like Blaster78 ... and myself and others) have discovered.,

I repeat...

The net appears to be 'free' to the end user but not to the content provider.

Cheers,

Steve

Ok. I understand what you say, but why are you saying it? are you proposing some kind of solution or just ranting about? Just wondering, sorry if im missing something

marce wrote:Ok. I understand what you say, but why are you saying it? are you proposing some kind of solution or just ranting about? Just wondering, sorry if im missing something
Well maybe the point is that "nothing is free" :hihi: (and it's true).

Does anyone have any experience with using Sendspace
for these kinds of things? It is not free, but it
seems pretty reasonable for the amount of storage
and bandwidth, and if I am reading the T&C correctly
it doesn't have the sort of limitations and caps that
others are finding with the free services. I haven't used
it for hosting any sample libraries, but I thought that
I might in the future.
Cheers,
Scott

NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:...Its AFAIK for crack heads, inferior quality album downloads oppose to paying for a CD, shit quality videos shoehorned into smaller sizes again compromising quality. Maybe there is some merit to using the 'Torrent' thing but unless it becomes the only way to buy/purchase stuff online as download only then i ain't touching it with a barge pole

My £0.02

Dean/Nekro
All the torrent hate I see lately is weird and just plain ill informed.

Take your statement, go back 10-15 years and replace "torrent" with "internet".

bb

thecontrolcentre wrote:
hollowsun wrote:look at the T&C small print for the definition of 'unlimited' with your web hoster - it may well not be.
The big print says "Disk Space - Unlimited! Monthly Data Transfer - Unlimited! The small print however ...
Doteasy wrote:Disk and Bandwidth Usage

What do you mean by "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth?

We want you to have a successful online presence so Doteasy.com does not set an arbitrary limit or cap on the amount of resources you can use. We believe your website(s) should not be constrained by arbitrary quotas on disk space, bandwidth, or even e-mail. The Doteasy Unlimited Hosting Plans are designed with small to medium, independently owned and operated businesses and/or personal websites in mind. For these customers, the Doteasy Unlimited Hosting Plans are unlimited.
What's not allowed in "Unlimited"?

Doteasy "Unlimited" Hosting Plans are provisioned in a shared hosting environment, which means a number of customers' accounts are hosted on the same server. To help ensure optimal services for all our customers, we do required you to be fully compliant with our Terms and Conditions and utilize disk space and bandwidth related to the normal operation of a normal personal or small to medium business website. Our "Unlimited" plans are not intended to support the greater web hosting needs of large enterprises or act as an online storage warehouse and/or media file streaming/sharing hub.

For specific examples of things not allowed please view:
http://www.doteasy.com/Terms/index.cfm?T=TAC#5b
What will happen if we go beyond normal usage?

For those who exceed the usage of a normal personal or small/medium-business website, we may need to put constraints on account to prevent the adverse affects on other customers' accounts. These accounts will be will be flagged by Doteasy Administrators and anti-abuse controls. Clients will then be asked to consider a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server services provided by Doteasy.
Doteasy wrote:5. Definition of Unlimited Usage

What "Unlimited" means. Doteasy does not set an arbitrary limit on the amount of resources an account can use. The Doteasy Unlimited Hosting Plan is designed to serve the web hosting needs of small to medium, independently owned and operated businesses and/or personal websites. For these customers, the Doteasy Unlimited Hosting plan is unlimited.

What "Unlimited" DOES NOT mean. The accounts are not intended to support the greater web hosting needs of large enterprises or to be used as an online storage warehouse to store: backups, archiving of electronic files or emails, documents, log files, etc. or used as media file streaming/sharing hub.

Reselling any of the "Unlimited" accounts' resources is strictly prohibited. Any accounts found to be reselling resources will immediately be suspended with or without notice. Reselling of account resources is permitted only if you are using a Reseller Hosting Plan, a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server.

Doteasy "Unlimited" services are provisioned in a shared hosting environment; Any account found to be adversely affect the performance of other customers' accounts by excessively using network bandwidth, server storage, memory and CPU resources, will be flagged by Doteasy administrators and anti-abuse controls. Clients will then be asked to consider a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server services. Serious offenses will result in the account service suspension or termination, with or without notice.
:?
i've found that sort of info in every plan i've looked at for sensible money. it's what's holding me up in purchasing.

dodgy as feck in my opinion. why waste my time? i wish they'd just tell me properly, up front. i don't mind them having limits, just be clear and honest about them so i know where i stand.

it would seem that you really need to splurge for a vps if you want to do it properly with no issues. which is a different price bracket entirely :(

cheers,

steve.

has anyone suggested running an ftp server on your own machine yet? i believe that's how it was done in the pre-torrents era

ccmixter is all creative commons license.
So when you use samples from there you are not allowed to use them in commercial productions.
creative commons is really a no go for many people.

I wonder why not simply add the free Kontakt patches to the User patchabse at Native Instruments ?
This way also all the people with cracked Kontakt versions cannot access them because they have no according account at the NI page.

planet ugh wrote:
So when you use samples from there you are not allowed to use them in commercial productions.
That's not necessarily true. Creative Commons licenses aren't all the same. Some of the stuff at ccmixter is under an attribution license.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:
planet ugh wrote:
That's not necessarily true. Creative Commons licenses aren't all the same. Some of the stuff at ccmixter is under an attribution license.
Interesting.
But these various licenses sound very comlicated to me.
I don't wanna learn about legal stuff. I want samples that are completly royalty free and that's it.
This creative commons stuff is really not my cup of te. Neither to release my music under it nor to use samples from freesound or ccmixter.
Just to complicated for a simple mind like me :)

At least the CC lisence used in freesound allows commercial usage for all samples as long as they not used in an advertisement and even then it's permitted if the sample is used in the product advertised (wouldn't make sense if you'd have to remove the shotgun sound of a game from youtube trailer etc :)

sauli wrote:At least the CC lisence used in freesound allows commercial usage for all samples as long as they not used in an advertisement and even then it's permitted if the sample is used in the product advertised (wouldn't make sense if you'd have to remove the shotgun sound of a game from youtube trailer etc :)
so that means bye bye production music.
When licensing to a library, one has have zero control what they do with it afterwards...they can use it for TV as well as advertisment or whatever.

planet ugh wrote:
D.H. Miltz wrote:
planet ugh wrote:
Interesting.
But these various licenses sound very comlicated to me.
I don't wanna learn about legal stuff. I want samples that are completly royalty free and that's it.
This creative commons stuff is really not my cup of te. Neither to release my music under it nor to use samples from freesound or ccmixter.
Just to complicated for a simple mind like me :)
http://ccmixter.org/view/media/samples/browse

In the licenses drop down menu to the right choose "CC zero"

http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

A for releasing your music under creative commons, it is by far the most straightforward and easiest way of making official what you allow people to do with your music, so long as you're releasing it yourself and for free.

izonin wrote:has anyone suggested running an ftp server on your own machine yet? i believe that's how it was done in the pre-torrents era
The downside here is if your ISP decides you've exceeded your upload bandwidth allowance, you get completely cut off. Nice... Oh, and ADSL uplinks aren't as fast as downlinks, either, so you'll have unhappy downloaders still moaning "why is it so slow when 10 other people are competing for the 1MB/s link you're providing?"... :lol:

Other than that, it's a good idea for taking control of your content.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”