Will Kontakt Player load freely available Kontakt samples? Yes, for 15 Mins ONLY

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Will Kontakt Player load freely available Kontakt samples,
or is it only for the libraries sold by NI?

Thanks.
:)

Hi,
it's a confusing situation.

Kontakt player IS intended solely for libraries encoded by NI : this means their own libraries and 3rd party libraries that have paid a license fee to have their library produced in kontakt player format.

However, the fact is that Kontakt Player and Kontakt are the same software - only the license key is different.
The result of this confusing situation is that you CAN open a normal Kontakt format library ( like the free content that is available) in Kontakt player, and it will run normally for 30 mins before the demo period times out. After that, you have to re-start and reload the library.

The problem is that there is no way to authorise a non-kontakt player library - it will always time out.

So, to summarise -you can open it, and run in demo mode, but you can't get rid of demo mode.

James

Thanks for the info.
Understood.

My question:
> > Thanks, xxx. If I do everything right, will 3rd party or free Kontakt
> > instrument files cause the Player to act like a demo?
> > It seems like it goes into demo mode when I load in free Kontakt files made
> > by users.
NI response:
>Ah, I see!
> these file just will not run in the Player.
> These files only run in Kontakt 4 full version.
> They will always appear in demo mode in your player.
>
> Best regards
> xxx, Native Instruments Support Team

NI support did not tell me anything about the player being meant to be used solely for NI's libraries as far as I can tell.

One could always read the FAQ on the NI website, or even one of the several threads here from last year that have already covered this.
"a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption"

mcnoone wrote:Will Kontakt Player load freely available Kontakt samples,
or is it only for the libraries sold by NI?
version 4.0: playing free libraries don't restricted by time (30 min. demo for edit library)
version 4.0.5: ONLY 15 min. demo-mode :(

Sorry for my English

Steplton wrote:version 4.0: playing free libraries don't restricted by time (30 min. demo for edit library)
Not true, there is still the 30 min. time restriction for such libraries, regardless.
Steplton wrote: version 4.0.5: ONLY 15 min. demo-mode :(
Indeed, this is true.

I thought I explained it HERE.

In short, it will play ANY Kontakt library but if not 'authorised' by NI, it is subject to a 30 minute time limit.

But even 'authorised' Kontakt library will time out if you try and edit those sounds in the Player's 'full Kontakt demo mode'.

When it times out (either way), you can re-launch it and start again.

Cheers,

Steve

hollowsun wrote:I thought I explained it HERE.

:hihi:
hollowsun wrote:In short, it will play ANY Kontakt library but if not 'authorised' by NI, it is subject to a 30 minute time limit.
It has been reduced to 15 minutes now for the later versions of KP.

EDIT: Here is the the current chart on the NI website:
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... /?page=837
Last edited by vespers75 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

after lobbying from 3rd party devs.

vespers75 wrote:
Steplton wrote:version 4.0.5: ONLY 15 min. demo-mode :(
Indeed, this is true.
Oh! I didn't know that. Bugger.

Seems NI have deliberately restricted the time limit. Which is reasonable I guess - you can get a fair bit done in 30 minutes which could affect sales of Kontakt proper if people can 'get by' with the freebie player.

Cheers

Steve

vespers75 wrote:
Steplton wrote:version 4.0: playing free libraries don't restricted by time (30 min. demo for edit library)
Not true, there is still the 30 min. time restriction for such libraries, regardless.
PLAY MODE, don't edit it! 30 min. time restriction only for edit mode. (version 4.0.0.2475)

hollowsun wrote:
vespers75 wrote:
Steplton wrote:version 4.0.5: ONLY 15 min. demo-mode :(
Indeed, this is true.
Oh! I didn't know that. Bugger.

Seems NI have deliberately restricted the time limit. Which is reasonable I guess - you can get a fair bit done in 30 minutes which could affect sales of Kontakt proper if people can 'get by' with the freebie player.

Cheers

Steve
Yeah. 30 minutes was probably too generous. The point of the demo mode is to give people the opportunity to see the full features of Kontakt and decide whether to buy it or not. And the point of Kontakt player, along with luring people into Kontakt, is to make NI money off sample libraries. They probably don't really intend for people to use Kontakt Player with unauthorized libraries for 30 minutes, close program, reopen and continue working...

hi there

Just want to know, though it seems to have already been discussed somewhere, if Kontakt player would load any custom-made free banks created with Kontakt 4 ?

Krakatau wrote:hi there

Just want to know, though it seems to have already been discussed somewhere, if Kontakt player would load any custom-made free banks created with Kontakt 4 ?
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/pr oducer/kontakt-player/?page=837
Yes, but as the link above to their site states...it will stop playing them after 15 minutes. So you would have to re-load it.
If you buy sounds from them for it though. It will work for as long as needed, so long as you don't edit the sound at all.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”