Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:12 am Isn't the Behringer SH-101 rather a replica than a emulation? Bit of a difference. The Roland one is a digital emulation, while the Behringer will feature the same (or, at least, closely copied) components. Like it was in their Model D.
And that would make a difference how, exactly? Is it more authentic if it comes from the original company who invented the bloody thing or because someone else reverse-engineered it to make a clone? Whichever way you go, you end up with something that sounds like an SH 101.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I guess it depends. If done right, you surely get closer by recreating the original components. If they get it as close as the Model D, i don't think there's a point in arguing.

My humble environment. Not much hardware, all the magic is software (Mulab with MUX Modular + Falcon + Synthmaster + various effects)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:53 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:12 am Isn't the Behringer SH-101 rather a replica than a emulation? Bit of a difference. The Roland one is a digital emulation, while the Behringer will feature the same (or, at least, closely copied) components. Like it was in their Model D.
And that would make a difference how, exactly? Is it more authentic if it comes from the original company who invented the bloody thing or because someone else reverse-engineered it to make a clone? Whichever way you go, you end up with something that sounds like an SH 101.
the degree of accuracy makes a BIG difference

Not when the thing you are trying to accurately recreate sounds like garbage in the first place. How you don't understand this is completely beyond me. The SH-101 is a terrible synth - weak oscillator and a bog-standard filter with absolutely no character to speak of. 99% of freeware VSTi will both sound better and be more versatile. I get the nostalgia element for someone like Rob, who owned the original, but why anyone else would have even the slightest interest in something so completely nondescript is enough to boggle the mind.

Some synths are worth resurrecting - Odyssey, OB-Xa, Prophet V and maybe a few others - but the SH-101 is so far from any of those synths that it's just not funny. It was cheap and nasty in it's day but by today's standards it is rubbish.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:24 am Not when the thing you are trying to accurately recreate sounds like garbage in the first place. How you don't understand this is completely beyond me. The SH-101 is a terrible synth - weak oscillator and a bog-standard filter with absolutely no character to speak of. 99% of freeware VSTi will both sound better and be more versatile. I get the nostalgia element for someone like Rob, who owned the original, but why anyone else would have even the slightest interest in something so completely nondescript is enough to boggle the mind.

Some synths are worth resurrecting - Odyssey, OB-Xa, Prophet V and maybe a few others - but the SH-101 is so far from any of those synths that it's just not funny. It was cheap and nasty in it's day but by today's standards it is rubbish.
I'll take the SH-01a over the original any day of the week. It sounded good enough to me that I didn't need the original.. it does a whole lot more.

Unison
Poly
Chord mode

The original and the new version boutique can be made to sound great with an FX pedal and/or your daw FX anyways.
This little thing is the exact size of my mac wireless keyboard so another bonus for me is the space I save over the original.

Today I'm gonna feed the SH-01a through my Elektron Digitone and add some nice FX until the Ventris Dual Reverb arrives next month.

Rob

dakkra wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:20 am My humble environment. Not much hardware, all the magic is software (Mulab with MUX Modular + Falcon + Synthmaster + various effects)
Looks nice n cosy there mate I like that setup.. use what your happy with, that's the key here :tu:

Rob

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:24 am Not when the thing you are trying to accurately recreate sounds like garbage in the first place. How you don't understand this is completely beyond me. The SH-101 is a terrible synth - weak oscillator and a bog-standard filter with absolutely no character to speak of. 99% of freeware VSTi will both sound better and be more versatile. I get the nostalgia element for someone like Rob, who owned the original, but why anyone else would have even the slightest interest in something so completely nondescript is enough to boggle the mind.

im not intetested in your opinion of what sounds good or garbage. i still own an sh101, had a few since the 80's. I will be getting the behringer one too when its available, cos i love the sound (and the new connections) Apart from the TAL software 101, nothing comes close.

rob_lee wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:26 am

I'll take the SH-01a over the original any day of the week. It sounded good enough to me that I didn't need the original.. it does a whole lot more.

Unison
Poly
Chord mode

The original and the new version boutique can be made to sound great with an FX pedal and/or your daw FX anyways.
This little thing is the exact size of my mac wireless keyboard so another bonus for me is the space I save over the original.

Today I'm gonna feed the SH-01a through my Elektron Digitone and add some nice FX until the Ventris Dual Reverb arrives next month.

Rob
I agree Rob :)
The SH01a is actually awesome with it's extra bells and whistles And Bones is wrong when he say it sounds like crap by today standards and that 99% of freeware sounds better than it.

It has a beefy sound and it have no problem with standing up against my other analogue mono synths :tu:

It is a simple synth by todays standard but it is mainly a Bass synth which it is great at.

Btw. The SH-101 and the OBXA, Prophet 5 rev 3, Roland MK80 and Memorymoog uses the same oscillators so they all must be weak and sound like crap then :lol:

D-Fusion wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:50 am
rob_lee wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:26 am

Unison
Poly
Chord mode

Rob
I agree Rob :)
The SH01a is actually awesome with it's extra bells and whistles And Bones is wrong when he say it sounds like crap by today standards and that 99% of freeware sounds better than it.

It has a beefy sound and it have no problem with standing up against my other analogue mono synths :tu:

It is a simple synth by todays standard but it is mainly a Bass synth which it is great at.

Btw. The SH-101 and the OBXA, Prophet 5 rev 3, Roland MK80 and Memorymoog uses the same oscillators so they all must be weak and sound like crap then :lol:
For £299 the SH-01a was a no brainer for me. I can sample the hell out of this thing it makes for some great drum and perc sounds along with everything else I can get out of it.
The size was perfect for me too and I got it in BLUE just before the price went back up to £349 after I bought it last week :D
Like I say it's tiny like my mac keyboard and fits perfectly on the desk, loved the original but this just does more, just add FX and bingo it comes alive.

The Behringer stuff sounds great too I want the Neutron at some point or 2 of them at that price, maybe I'll get their version of the 101 next year too as well but I'm done this year apart from the FX pedals I'm after. All in all the Roland SH-01a sounds just like my original but just does more and at the price I'm not complaining.

Rob

AnX wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:40 amim not intetested in your opinion of what sounds good or garbage. i still own an sh101, had a few since the 80's. I will be getting the behringer one too when its available, cos i love the sound (and the new connections) Apart from the TAL software 101, nothing comes close.
Don't you think that maybe it's time to let go and grow up? Or convince me - upload something amazing you've made with your 101s, I would happily change my mind if anyone was able to prove me wrong. And it might be easy - my 101 experience came way before modern production techniques so maybe it's a doddle to make it sound good with a bit of compression and EQ? You've had loads of fun trying to prove to yourself that Uno is no good so here's an opportunity to prove that an SH 101 (or an emulation of it) can be so much better. If it helps, I am happy to kick off by posting a few Uno doodlings for you to better. But I suspect you have absolutely no confidence in your 101 and will have plenty of excuses lined up.

D-Fusion wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:50 amI agree Rob :)
The SH01a is actually awesome with it's extra bells and whistles And Bones is wrong when he say it sounds like crap by today standards and that 99% of freeware sounds better than it. It has a beefy sound and it have no problem with standing up against my other analogue mono synths
I never said anything about the SH 01a, I've never heard it. My comments apply purely to the original SH 101. Unison, all by itself, would beef it up considerably and give the sound a bit of movement, although if it is anything like the unison in the JU06 or JP08, then it will be of extremely limited utility.
Seriously? I would never have thought to use my SH101 for bass, it sounded quite weak next to the ARP Axxe I also had at the time. And not just weak, but messy with it so you couldn't use a bit of bottom end EQ to pump it up without ruining the mix. For me it was strictly for mid-range rhythm parts and a bit of percussion (using the noise osc).
Nobody liked the MemoryMoog and the advantage that the Jupiter 8 (MKS-80), OB Xa and Prophet V had were that they weren't stuck with just one oscillator or a single voice. OB Xa was even multi-timbral. Yes, all those things cost 4 or 5 grand and the 101 was just $400 but most people were still happy to stump up the extra for a better synth. I've seen dozens of bands with Pro Vs, OB X's and Xa's, as well as Jupiter 8s, but I only ever saw one (other) band use a 101 on stage and they probably did it for the same reason I did - couldn't afford anything better.
rob_lee wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:00 am For £299 the SH-01a was a no brainer for me.
A few months ago that would have sounded like great value but now there's Uno Synth for two-thirds the price it's not quite the bargain it once was.
The size was perfect for me too and I got it in BLUE just before the price went back up to £349 after I bought it last week :D
Like I say it's tiny like my mac keyboard and fits perfectly on the desk, loved the original but this just does more, just add FX and bingo it comes alive.
It must be a lot better than the JU06 or JP08 because nothing bought them to life. I was really keen on the size/form factor, enough so that I tried twice to find one that worked, but both synths were very disappointing. In the end, the size and built-in audio I/O were the only things I liked about them. I might try the SE02 at some point but I'm done with Roland's Boutique recreations.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:32 am
AnX wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:40 amim not intetested in your opinion of what sounds good or garbage. i still own an sh101, had a few since the 80's. I will be getting the behringer one too when its available, cos i love the sound (and the new connections) Apart from the TAL software 101, nothing comes close.
Don't you think that maybe it's time to let go and grow up? Or convince me - upload something amazing you've made with your 101s, I would happily change my mind if anyone was able to prove me wrong. And it might be easy - my 101 experience came way before modern production techniques so maybe it's a doddle to make it sound good with a bit of compression and EQ? You've had loads of fun trying to prove to yourself that Uno is no good so here's an opportunity to prove that an SH 101 (or an emulation of it) can be so much better. If it helps, I am happy to kick off by posting a few Uno doodlings for you to better. But I suspect you have absolutely no confidence in your 101 and will have plenty of excuses lined up.

why do i need to convince you the SH101 sounds good, or "let go" or "grow up" ? I dont see how what i use affects you. Ive been using it since the 80's and I'm very happy with the sound. Im not going to dump a synth cos some no mark doesn't like it.

As for the uno, I don't like the menu diving. That's all I've said. I don't have to like it, or buy it. If you like it, good for you, I couldnt care less.

I prefer hardware synths to be as close to one knob per function as possible. That's my preference.

if you want to waste your time posting uno examples, go ahead. My reply will simply be, i can do that already in Dune2, why would i waste money on a single box.

I dunno, but you seem quite keen to do so. You've posted half-a-dozen times on the subject in the past few days. The "let go" comment refers to your clearly multi-decade affair with an instrument that was never very good but sold well because it was very cheap. I think it's time you stopped with the rose coloured glasses and started to see it for what it is, that's all. I've loved plenty of synths over the years but I've generally been able to look at them objectively and realise when they are past their use-by date and move on to something newer and better. In the case of my SH 101, it went in favour of a CZ-101 that was polyphonic, multi-timbral and had MIDI. That it was also far more versatile meant it could replace the Axxe and even my Delta, too (although I found it much harder to part with the Delta than the others).

As for Uno, what "menu diving" are you talking about? There are exactly two parameters that you can't access from the front panel and, interestingly, one is a function you don't get in a 101 (wave morphing). In fact, if you count them up, you can access far more parameters from Uno's front panel than you can from any 101 or emulation of it, simply because it has so many more parameters, like two oscillators and two envelopes.

Fired up the Studio Quad for some extra reverb on the Abyss. The screen is looking a bit rough ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”