Concentration / Enthusiasm help !!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:20 pm
LeVzi wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:49 am I am breaking down my sessions into smaller times, and trying to achieve one thing per session, sometimes I find I run over a bit and thats good, means I didnt break concentration, but still feel like I am over thinking stuff too much.

Always find it hard when moving to a new genre tbh. 4th time i've tried it.

i think thats normal when trying anything new, checking details and such till it becomes second nature?
Yeah that's exactly it, I always go back to reference tracks and think to myself wtf am I doing ? But I gotta learn somehow.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:24 pm As I recall you are into genre that revolves around a kick on which folks take pride and spend days and decades perfecting it, no wonder why you are stuck and discouraged, until you nail that kick, nothing will sound good enough and finished.
Ironically I did nail the kick and have a way of doing them better now, that actually works, but I spent so much time on that, I didn't really dedicate any time to actual song arrangement lol so I am learning that on the fly.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Hi

Why not try to produce something really short - almost like a jingle/phone ring tone?
Obviously in your chosen genre - but something short and manageable - perhaps 30 seconds from start to finish.
This way you can still do all the basic things like working out a song structure, laying multiple tracks, automation and so on - but with a much more focused workload.
Personally I have not used my music PC for some years (mainly due to moving) - I find using an Internet PC with games and other things on means I am forever 'doodling'.

im in the period of the year, where due to the cold, my aches for the most part stop me going to the studio. get the odd hour here and there before the pain overrides the pleasure.

then getting back to it takes a bit of time before its fluid again.
not telling you this to say "others have it worse" but to say, dont be too hard on yourself. look at the positive side, you are doing something!
thats what i do, yeah i wish i could do more, but at least im not giving up :)

LeVzi wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:48 pm Ironically I did nail the kick and have a way of doing them better now, that actually works, but I spent so much time on that, I didn't really dedicate any time to actual song arrangement lol so I am learning that on the fly.
That's amazing news than. :party:

original flipper wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:57 pm Hi

Why not try to produce something really short - almost like a jingle/phone ring tone?
Obviously in your chosen genre - but something short and manageable - perhaps 30 seconds from start to finish.
This way you can still do all the basic things like working out a song structure, laying multiple tracks, automation and so on - but with a much more focused workload.
Personally I have not used my music PC for some years (mainly due to moving) - I find using an Internet PC with games and other things on means I am forever 'doodling'.
I am probably halfway through a track, and I will finish it, but I am taking the pressure off myself to finish, and going back with an open mind to see a more managable way of doing them. I can't write another with his amount of head mess going on.

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:00 pm im in the period of the year, where due to the cold, my aches for the most part stop me going to the studio. get the odd hour here and there before the pain overrides the pleasure.

then getting back to it takes a bit of time before its fluid again.
not telling you this to say "others have it worse" but to say, dont be too hard on yourself. look at the positive side, you are doing something!
thats what i do, yeah i wish i could do more, but at least im not giving up :)
This is true, this is very true. Something is better than nothing, and even if it's a little bit whenever, soon enough a track will be done. I made more a goal system than sitting there trying to think of the whole thing. Like today I am going to sort out the main lead synth, after scrapping the old one. So I have a goal for today :) Trying to stay positive is half the battle so it seems :)

Passing Bye wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 pm
LeVzi wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:48 pm Ironically I did nail the kick and have a way of doing them better now, that actually works, but I spent so much time on that, I didn't really dedicate any time to actual song arrangement lol so I am learning that on the fly.
That's amazing news than. :party:
Thanks, it did drive me insane for ages, and I worked out 2 ways to do them, that actually has allowed me to make some that are usable. That took years to achive tbh lol

OK I just wanted to thank you all who offered help, seems doing it little by little, not trying to do too much and concentrating on one thing at a time seems to be working way better.

So thank you all.

good stuff :)
glad you found a way to make it work :tu:

Starting a new genre is like learning a new DAW. You can do it but not exactly sure how or what you're supposed to so it's frustrating.. Just do it, do it again and accept crap tracks. Do more and eventually your sessions are longer and more productive.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:17 pm Starting a new genre is like learning a new DAW. You can do it but not exactly sure how or what you're supposed to so it's frustrating.. Just do it, do it again and accept crap tracks. Do more and eventually your sessions are longer and more productive.
Couldn't be more true. I do something, listen to it and say "is that right?" but i've got no frame of reference lol

But at least I can work for longer at a time and not get so frustrated. Problem is, probably for many, we expect so much of ourselves.

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:40 am

There's no really easy way around it but nine times out of ten, the most effective is to break it down into little tasks that are achievable and which let you give yourself a mental pat on the back
What do you mean exactly ? Like, writing 8 bars of music instead of a full track ? I struggle with the same problem of the OP so I'd like to know more.

One thing I noticed is that, after a long break (months), it's like you have to start again from scratch, it could take a lot of time to get into "the zone" ( I struggle a lot and it makes me want to quit music )
I am musically schizophrenic

yup, "this weeks task, get the chorus done"

(obviously time scale and task can alter to suit)

unless its your job, there should be no hassle with misic.
yes, it can be frustrating, but if you dont need to finish to pay bills, dont sweat it.

another option, the complete opposite really, join in the one synth challenge or the monthly cafe comp, try to get something done, but dont worry aboit how good it will be. just to do something.

its been a while since i did any proper multitracking, past 2 years or so has been, patch the modular, record a noodle, done! next...
so ive jumped in to the rpm album in a month challenge, to push me to do something and get going again.
totally new audience :o
so now im worried, but im not going to let ot get to me, the only thing that matters to me, is presemting the 35mins of multitracked and mixed/mastered "album"
it will be what it is, whatever. but it will be done! 8)

guess lm saying we all need different stimulus to awaken us.
i hope ypu find something useful 8)

Well, unfortunately most of the pressure come from within us, from the expectations we might set ourselves.....

I would feel really guilty if it took me a week to write a Chorus to be honest ! However I'm a bit obsessive over the quantity of music I produce (even if I'll be the only one listening to it in the end.....after all it's just a 'hobby' ) so I keep telling myself " create, create, create.....". Not that I'm writing anything good or relevant, mind you.....

But I feel the opposite approach might be more satisfying, like "am I feeling like making a track today ? Do I have any IDEAS that I need to write down ?" Otherwise, it could be more productive NOT writing anything until one feels 'in the mood' (could take hours ? days ? )
I am musically schizophrenic

ah yeah, dont force it. ideas come when theyre ready :)
sometimes they are rare, other times you get moaned at for never coming out of that bloody room! :hihi:

quality over quantity if you wait on ideas, otherwise youll start repeating a formula maybe...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”