What's On Your Black Friday/Cyber Monday Shopping List?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:51 am Well, it took all of two seconds to decide to buy Tantrum. It is one a hell of a distortion plugin! I went to buy Reaktor but, just looking at the screenshots turned me off. After 10 years of SynthEdit, I think I really am done with that stuff. So I downloaded the Straylight demo and if it's as good as it seems, I'll buy that instead. It's something I've been interested in for a while, to add a bit of spice to our arrangements, kind of like Arcade has been doing for us. (I am going to stop Arcade subscription this month, after 15 months. I haven't actually used it in ages but I needed to get our songs across to Cubase before I quit it.)
I bought Reaktor thinking I'd be building synths but have never had the time - partly because there's so much already there, and yeah, it's a distraction. I think maybe you'd get on with this guy's two synths (not counting the Monark blocks which has (ehem) a Moog filter emu of course). There are sound demos.

(edit: duh - here's the link: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... ll/589571/ )

Reaktor's hit or miss, but it's core components are capable of great sounds and there are a lot of inventive, non-emu type synths out there. Too many, maybe.

(OT but did you not like what you were getting with Arcade, or just not fitting your music? A ton of what I use for my personal production absolutely does nothing for my band - can't tell how many times of subbed real or sample strings for synths, or gone back to a Wurli, B3, etc., but we're kinda retro and a lot of what I think will spice up our sound ends up sounding gimmicky and gets removed in the final mix)

If I needed any convincing about Reaktor, TRK-01 does it. It's one of my favourite and most used instruments and I like everything about it - it sounds great, it has a brilliant GUI and good workflow.

With Arcade, we initially got a fair bit out of it but as time's gone on, and they have probably tripled the amount of content, it has become increasingly clear we are not part of the target market. Literally nothing they have added in the past year has been of even passing interest to us so once we got all the good stuff out of the launch content, we stopped using it. If it had gone in a different direction, I could have seen us using it forever because it's quite a cool, well thought-out idea.

I'm really lucky that the guy I work with has pretty much exactly the same musical taste as me, so anything I put in he will like and anything he adds is something I am sure to appreciate. Neither of us are precious about any of it, either, so if one of us happens not to like something the other has done, nobody gets their knickers in a knot over it. If one of us wants to defend something they've done, we'll leave it in but, if not, then we won't use it. But that's probably only happened 2 or 3 times over 5 albums.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Trackspacer
Nexus 3 Upgrade
TBD on more.

I just grabbed Sonivox's Big Bang Cinematic Percussion VSTi for $10. It was actually only $3 after I applied the virtual cash I earned yesterday at Plugin Boutique. So now I'm up to $260.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

TAL Bassline 101 upgrade (free)

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:58 pmMichael, those Sampletekk things are wickedly cheap - 90% off!
The sale price is more accurate. They are simple but well-done.

If you like unique pianos as I do, these are free (a Spitfire Audio side project):
https://www.pianobook.co.uk
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Thanks but I am not in any way into pianos.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:38 pm
skipscada wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:28 pm Already upgraded Melodyne from Essential to Assistant. Vocal pitch and guitar timing are huge problems areas for me and something I waste a lot of time on, so it'll be interesting to see if some added help with that can help me achieve results I'm happy with faster. Audio to midi was also a selling point since I'm trying to improve my skills in (applied) music theory and analysis.
What host do you use? VariAudio in Cubase seems to do a lot of the same stuff as Melodyne and it's built-in. I haven't tried to use it yet but I'm looking forward to it making my life easier next time I have to record vocals.
Tracktion Waveform 10. Integration with Melodyne works flawlessly and I'm familiar with the light version, so it feels like a safe bet.

Nothing but ios apps here ;-)

Michael L wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:10 am
BONES wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:58 pmMichael, those Sampletekk things are wickedly cheap - 90% off!
The sale price is more accurate. They are simple but well-done.

If you like unique pianos as I do, these are free (a Spitfire Audio side project):
https://www.pianobook.co.uk
Michael, thanks for the headsup on Sampletekk sale. They actually have Halion library formats in all their libraries!

Spent most of the budget on a new laptop and ram and ssd upgrades :party:

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:36 am So bugger-all for you! If I ever use Olga in a song, I'll pay for it but yeah, I don't think Stillwell Audio is a going concern these days.
Sorry, Olga's excellent.

Fabfilter Pro R,D16 lush 101 , Polyverse Comet ($29!!!) , free Avenger 1.5 update , Chromaphone 2 update and Waves Berzek for free! Best black friday of my life !!! :)
Last edited by hivkorn on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hivkorn wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:05 pm Fabfilter Pro R,D16 lush 101 and Polyverse Comet ($29!!!)
Link?
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

reusenoise wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:14 pm
hivkorn wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:05 pm Fabfilter Pro R,D16 lush 101 and Polyverse Comet ($29!!!)
Link?
https://polyversemusic.com/products/comet/

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”