Catalina Release Discussion

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Should be released today.

Thought it might be useful to have a thread for people to share their experiences on the upgrade, such as confirming what hardware they installed on, any issues with third party software not working, etc.

Hopefully a thread that doesn’t include any Mac vs PC or “Apple is evil” intrusions...it would be good if this thread could just provide help and advice for anyone upgrading...

Forgotten wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:46 pm Should be released today.

Thought it might be useful to have a thread for people to share their experiences on the upgrade, such as confirming what hardware they installed on, any issues with third party software not working, etc.

Hopefully a thread that doesn’t include any Mac vs PC or “Apple is evil” intrusions...it would be good if this thread could just provide help and advice for anyone upgrading...
:tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

If you have a 1st-gen Scarlett interface you'll need to get the (currently beta) 1.10 version of MixControl from here.

I just noticed there's also a beta Saffire Mix Control application for Saffire owners.
Last edited by sprnva on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

For anyone who is using the Jamstix 4 beta and isn’t aware, there was a recent update that makes it compatible with Catalina.

I'm not a Mac user, but I've had email messages from the following in recent days:

Native Instruments
IK Multimedia
Roland Cloud
Waves
G-Force

All recommended holding off installing Catalina for now. Only posting this in case others had missed the messages from the manufacturers.

andrew71 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 pm I'm not a Mac user, but I've had email messages from the following in recent days:

Native Instruments
IK Multimedia
Roland Cloud
Waves
G-Force

All recommended holding off installing Catalina for now. Only posting this in case others had missed the messages from the manufacturers.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:32 pm
andrew71 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 pm I'm not a Mac user, but I've had email messages from the following in recent days:

Native Instruments
IK Multimedia
Roland Cloud
Waves
G-Force

I've had warning emails from:
Eventide
Kush
and of course,
Steinberg (Cubase).

It'd probably be easier to list the companies that haven't sent emails with warnings to hold off on installing Catalina. And from many companies that are normally day-one ready.

This Ish is serious :scared:

What are the audio-related advantages to upgrade immediately, rather than wait several months (or years in my case)?
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:37 am What are the audio-related advantages to upgrade immediately, rather than wait several months (or years in my case)?
Not sure there are any. However, sometimes there are non-music-related changes that make it hard to resist early adoption e.g with Mojave's 'Dark Mode' :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:13 am
Michael L wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:37 am What are the audio-related advantages to upgrade immediately, rather than wait several months (or years in my case)?
Not sure there are any. However, sometimes there are non-music-related changes that make it hard to resist early adoption e.g with Mojave's 'Dark Mode' :tu:
Audio-specific improvements in any OSs seem rare to me (other than bug fixes).
I think it's more about bringing IOS and OSX closer together. Ability to more easily connect your ipad (called Sidecar), no more iTunes.
There's also something about the OS being on it's own partition with nothing else allowed on it.
Not an Apple user, so I maybe talking nonsense. :scared:
https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina/
https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina/features/

Googly Smythe wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:29 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:13 am
Audio-specific improvements in any OSs seem rare to me (other than bug fixes).
I think it's more about bringing IOS and OSX closer together. Ability to more easily connect your ipad (called Sidecar), no more iTunes.
There's also something about the OS being on it's own partition with nothing else allowed on it.
Not an Apple user, so I maybe talking nonsense. :scared:
https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina/
https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina/features/
Sometimes audio perks come along for the ride e.g IDAM with El Capitan, which makes makes audio interfacing between iPad and Mac a much more seamless process.
Sidecar is useful, but there are already many 3rd-party solutions for using iPads for extended monitoring.
As for iTunes? Personally, I've never had a problem with it. If anything, it seems like it is just becoming more fragmented for the sake of it. I'm sure others will rejoice, though :wink:

Ultimately, looking at the feature-set, I'm pretty happy to stick with Mojave until such time as Logi Pro demands the jump :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:46 amUltimately, looking at the feature-set, I'm pretty happy to stick with Mojave until such time as Logic Pro demands the jump
When do you expect that to happen, based on past experience? I am thinking of trying Logic down the road....
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Well Logic must already be fully 64-bit as Mojave doesn’t give any warnings when it opens, so there is unlikely to be an update for Catalina.

Not sure when the next major update will be as there hasn’t been any announcement from Apple.

Michael L wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:44 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:46 amUltimately, looking at the feature-set, I'm pretty happy to stick with Mojave until such time as Logic Pro demands the jump
When do you expect that to happen, based on past experience? I am thinking of trying Logic down the road....
It seems to be that the bigger Logic updates maintain compatibility with the current and outgoing OS’. That would mean that the next bigger update (still within X10) would be for both Catalina and Mojave. After that, Catalina could become the minimum requirement.

I might be wrong. Can’t really remember the exact history that makes me think that pattern fits, but it seems right.

Despite my MacBook being over seven-years-old, I still qualify for Catalina, which gives me a couple more Logic updates, at least. So much for planned obsolescence :shrug:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”