How do I prep for a release on BC

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:55 pm
i once played a gig at an art exhibition, i was a little self conscious so hid in a cupboard at the side of the stage.
another time i put up two projection screens at the front and played behind them.
I did a duo gig with a lifelong friend who has the worst stagefright of anyone i know. Had him stay backstage with a guitar cord out to my setup. Played a kind of Fripp/Eno gig. People loved it. At the end i introduced him as my invisible guitarist 😃 he still wouldn’t come out.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:31 pm
i once played a gig at an art exhibition, i was a little self conscious so hid in a cupboard at the side of the stage.
another time i put up two projection screens at the front and played behind them.
I did a duo gig with a lifelong friend who has the worst stagefright of anyone i know. Had him stay backstage with a guitar cord out to my setup. Played a kind of Fripp/Eno gig. People loved it. At the end i introduced him as my invisible guitarist 😃 he still wouldn’t come out.
Stage fright is no joke :D I know I have it. Wish I was at that gig.

Most people have it to some degree, even many famous rock stars.

Thanks, there’s a small chop on my sound cloud “crystal dew”
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I have at least one piece of advice on how not to prepare for an album release, but since that's not the question being asked here...
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:35 pm I have at least one piece of advice on how not to prepare for an album release, but since that's not the question being asked here...
Well let's hear it then :) How should one NOT prepare for a debut album release on BC?

Realised I dont have the stems to master, but only the live mix file, so now I'm going to export the stes as. wav and see what I can do for mastering the track. There's a question for you all. Do you always use stems for the master or just do it inside the live file(with all instruments ans vst's already mixed)?

AndonHH wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:15 pm
AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:35 pm I have at least one piece of advice on how not to prepare for an album release, but since that's not the question being asked here...
Well let's hear it then :) How should one NOT prepare for a debut album release on BC?
Well, if you really want to hear it, here goes:

Don't just push an album out there with next to no marketing and expect to be earning four-digit numbers from selling it within a week. I did that mistake with my first release - including the second half, no joke. As jancivil said, the best way to generate interest is by playing live shows. Unless you're the one-in-a-million kind and become a viral hit, you're bound to drown in the sea of music if your music simply existing on the Internet is all the publicity you rely on.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:08 pm
AndonHH wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:15 pm
Well, if you really want to hear it, here goes:

Don't just push an album out there with next to no marketing and expect to be earning four-digit numbers from selling it within a week. I did that mistake with my first release - including the second half, no joke. As jancivil said, the best way to generate interest is by playing live shows. Unless you're the one-in-a-million kind and become a viral hit, you're bound to drown in the sea of music if your music simply existing on the Internet is all the publicity you rely on.
Thanks for the feedback. It's not about money, it's about being better at making music, about growth as an artist as a musician as a person. It's about people like me helping eachother, sharing knowledge and tips. I have been an artist all my life so far, drawing and I know dead well art does not feed the family, it's a hoby and something, that helps me clear my mind and self. As for marketing I made an Insta, FB, and BC pages to share my process and path with like minded people, I dont plan to throw money at FB or whatever, it's not going to do anything for me. My plan is simple: Make tracks, ask for feedback, find people from labels and blogs, chat with them about music and enjoy my self while learning as much as I can, if someone buys a track or two It's awesome, but not the goal. :) Sorry for the rant, im in the mood I guess. Will post the re-mastered track (as much as I know about how to master a track :) ) soon.

Here is the mastered and released track on BCamp.
https://seldt.bandcamp.com/track/dream-153-calmedit

CC is welcome

AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pm I make electronic music and idm, acid, ambient stuff so the tags used are main genre Electronic then IDM (is it a good idea to tag each release with extra words such as acid, aphex, warp?)
I think it's a good idea to add as many tag as possible as long as they are relevant.
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pmFinding people will be tough too as I am just starting off, I really dont understand what to post on Twitter or Reddit (will read about them more), Im OK-ish with FB and Insta atleast. I also really hate to spam people so will keep my posting to minimum.
Well, it depends on what you consider spam. You have to promote your music somewhere so at least some people know you exist. It gives you a bit of exposure. I know from experience that posting music in genre-related facebook groups gives a few listens, and if people like it you get comments and even sales. It worked for me most of the time.
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pmOh, touched music label and Milieu are favs of mine too :) <3 Man if I get to a level good ennough to release with Touched I will fly away with a rainbow coming off the back end:) ) I did release
https://bludclotrecordings.bandcamp.com ... al-sadness
with Blubcloth once and that was it. How can this help me?
If the label has exposure, it will help, but if it has none or very little it won't change anything.
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pmI will try to find people with blogs and YT to help me out Thanks!
Nowadays, I think that building a relationship with your audience via YouTube vlogs is the way to go. It's through common interests that people gather, and YouTube is probably the most powerful platform for that. The barrier to entry is a good camera and a good mic.
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pmMe and my wife we have been using FB ads to promote our online store, but since they changed the algorith it never gives good results now.
It surprises me but it's very interesting to know. Are you 100% it's the Facebook algorithms that are responsible for the ads being less efficient?
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pmMy goal at this point with this first release will be to gather a small fan base of listeners, who will follow me on Bcamp, SC, FB, Insta and will share my posts. If someone pays for a track or two even better, but for now I care to find my people :) Thank you so much for this awesome repply! It got me thinking about so many new things I never knew about.
You're welcome! :tu: Like vurt said, posting in FB groups can't hurt and at least it's free.

SampleScience wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:24 pm
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pm I make electronic music and idm, acid, ambient stuff so the tags used are main genre Electronic then IDM (is it a good idea to tag each release with extra words such as acid, aphex, warp?)
I think it's a good idea to add as many tag as possible as long as they are relevant.
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pmFinding people will be tough too as I am just starting off, I really dont understand what to post on Twitter or Reddit (will read about them more), Im OK-ish with FB and Insta atleast. I also really hate to spam people so will keep my posting to minimum.
Well, it depends on what you consider spam. You have to promote your music somewhere so at least some people know you exist. It gives you a bit of exposure. I know from experience that posting music in genre-related facebook groups gives a few listens, and if people like it you get comments and even sales. It worked for me most of the time.
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pmOh, touched music label and Milieu are favs of mine too :) <3 Man if I get to a level good ennough to release with Touched I will fly away with a rainbow coming off the back end:) ) I did release
https://bludclotrecordings.bandcamp.com ... al-sadness
with Blubcloth once and that was it. How can this help me?
If the label has exposure, it will help, but if it has none or very little it won't change anything.
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pmI will try to find people with blogs and YT to help me out Thanks!
Nowadays, I think that building a relationship with your audience via YouTube vlogs is the way to go. It's through common interests that people gather, and YouTube is probably the most powerful platform for that. The barrier to entry is a good camera and a good mic.
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pmMe and my wife we have been using FB ads to promote our online store, but since they changed the algorith it never gives good results now.
It surprises me but it's very interesting to know. Are you 100% it's the Facebook algorithms that are responsible for the ads being less efficient?
AndonHH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pmMy goal at this point with this first release will be to gather a small fan base of listeners, who will follow me on Bcamp, SC, FB, Insta and will share my posts. If someone pays for a track or two even better, but for now I care to find my people :) Thank you so much for this awesome repply! It got me thinking about so many new things I never knew about.
You're welcome! :tu: Like vurt said, posting in FB groups can't hurt and at least it's free.
Thank you for the conprehensive repply. :D I will try my best to gather more knowledge and apply it to the process. :party: :tu: Tonight I exported the stems to the next track, which is really weird, complex, faced pase electro, idm, glith thing. Will probably spent at least two nights until I am happy with it and call it done. Goint to post the wip here in the morning. Thank you #everyone!

Here is the faster IDM-ish track (can this one be braindance?) Its not mixed yet, this is just the idea phase, I will mix and master it next.
https://seldt.bandcamp.com/track/glitching-fastidmedit

AndonHH wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:22 am
I've never really performed in public but more or less completely out of the blue, I performed in front of 30,000 people the other night and that was a blast - more exhilerating than nerve racking. But I was doing taichi with 3 other people and we were not the focus at all. But I was on stage, right at the front about half a metre from the edge max.

Whereas speaking to a crowd of a couple of hundred people has had me thinking I would die from fright any second :(

fairlyclose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 am
I've never really performed in public but more or less completely out of the blue, I performed in front of 30,000 people the other night and that was a blast - more exhilerating than nerve racking. But I was doing taichi with 3 other people and we were not the focus at all. But I was on stage, right at the front about half a metre from the edge max.

Whereas speaking to a crowd of a couple of hundred people has had me thinking I would die from fright any second :(
Damn, sounds like a trip for sure! Doesn't matter if you are on the main stage or on the side of the stage, you are controlling the sounds and people are hearing it, live that thought makes me sweat for real dudes!

AndonHH wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:36 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 am

Damn, sounds like a trip for sure! Doesn't matter if you are on the main stage or on the side of the stage, you are controlling the sounds and people are hearing it, live that thought makes me sweat for real dudes!
sure was a trip - it was for a big EDM festival, and the headline act - a guy called Flume - wanted some people doing Tai Chi at one stage, so we were on stage with Flume. Anyway, it was such a professional setup backstage - lots of people very calmly putting on quite an elaborate show - that I think we just picked up on that. I can really see how people love performing at something like that tho - whereas before actually having that experience I would never have thought I could handle it, let alone enjoy it!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”