what's your autodidactic focus in music?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 pm I will not buy this record, it is scratched!
youre scratched, the record is fine! :o

My hovercraft is full of eels!

MY NIPPLES EXPLODE WITH DELIGHT!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

autodidact
I taught myself guitar. At 18 I resumed classical lessons but that was about tone proiduction and where you put your hands properly which is not where you put them for rock gu9tar. my mother had me doing it at 14 but I was all over the place, I found the deep Spanish sound very compelling but a lot of the study-models, Aguado and Sor were piss-poor music and, 14, I bored easy. At 18 I was competive, I saw people do it and I should be able to. And seriously, I was a high school dropout, I wasn't going anywhere with my pseudo-diploma and being an outsider.

I took a lot of LSD from 14 to 18. I know all about the swimming on the ocean of sound, and the orgasm behind the eyballs, and the preternatural self-knowledge and the rhythm of the language scrolling by in text. I had the strong feeling I had heard music from my own mind the first time I was really high on marijuana. I was already Experienced then. You have to then deal in the physical world and translate.

I made tape compositions with a toy organ and recordings and drums and 'found sounds' before I knew a melodic instrument.
I was the one what took the 150 dollar check to the junkies our bass player knew from high school who called him up with a hot minimoog. I was the one who created the sounds for our demos on it, not so much the keyboardist. I didn't have money for a lot of toys. I used other people's equipment and a strat I was given. I was known as guitarist before I was 18. I don't think I can be pigeonholed.

Oh yeah, there were no delay pedals then. Where would the money be for that if there were. Dude had a job and we got 1600 dollar moog 'cause it was hot. I set the price, 150, over the phone and they took a check on Saturday. I was stylin' if I could by a record with 3 bucks.
Yeah, no.

Bombadil wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:56 pm My hovercraft is full of eels!
Are they covered in houmous?

My parents made me learn classical piano at a very early age and while I hated it at the time, I ended up becoming really good at it. My career ended taking me in an entirely different direction though. It is only a few years ago that I started to get interested in making music again. This was mainly for two reasons. First, I am approaching an age where you need to start thinking about what you want to do when you retire and this seemed a fun thing to do to keep me mentally active. And second, my current job required me to get a better understanding about the hands on details of the media design process, in particular with respect to producing audio for games and VR. And that is something I ended up teaching myself.

I could not care less about if people like my music though. That actually surprised me myself I have to admit. I also do not really follow any style or trend, at least not on purpose. I am strictly producing for myself. I am my one and only audience. :lol:
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

After a few lackluster bass guitar lessons i discovered feedback and fx pedals. My bandmate and i went extremely deep on signal processing. Then i scored a Moog Sonic Six. I taught myself electronics and started building my first synth ( a very simple and basic 2 osc, 1 env, 1 lfo, lo fi filter and vca. We got more space jam improv and more ambient. I got a job in tech and started my first bass synth, then my first modular. I learned assembly on a COCO (6809E) and built a drum machine brain that controlled 3 or 4 drum machines and many fx. In 2002 i got Reason. At the NAMM show i was given a one on one intro to Reaktor by one of the NI engineers. Bought it the next day. With my knowledge of electronics, some physics, and sound i had an easy time with software. Music? Not sure. Since then i’ve been looking into c/c++, arduinos, max, etc.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I absolutely never think about what I’m doing beyond what I feel about it in the moment. I’m like an animal.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:46 am I absolutely never think about what I’m doing beyond what I feel about it in the moment. I’m like an animal.
Aren’t we all? :lol:

I don’t much either on the noisemaking side of things. But on the technical side i do. Like making patches, building ensembles, etc.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I for one applaud you on your post OP..you are going to get reamed by the usual suspects on KVR , but don't forget, they are shmos and have ulterior motives, so don't take any of it personally. :!:

There is a certain freedom that one gets from approaching music creation it from a non-traditional and untrained approach. You will be open to trying new things very differently in order to achieve your goals that others with training will not try and you might break new ground musically in doing it. Some of the most interesting music makers break all the rules . And I also don't believe you always need to be trained or understand all the fundamentals in order to break the rules. Sure, being trained and knowing basics helps to achieve some things faster, but it might also prevent you from trying to achieve it in a new and unique way. There is one music maker I know who is way off the cliff scale in his approach. He does things like uses 12 Eq's pre and 12 Eq's post effects on a single reed instrument and does have a following as he makes pretty cool music.

My own journey started by just picking up an electric guitar when I was very young for no reason what so ever other than I was a spoiled brat and wanted it. I didn't know how to play nor knew any music theory. I did get exposed to piano and trumpet lessons as a little kid but didn't take to them. I plucked away at guitar for years without knowing how to tune it..annoyed the hell out of everyone. Then learnt how to tune it. Started picking up riffs and solos and went on from there. Got into some bands. Did some sessions and went on from there.

My only suggestion is listen to everything out there and be open to every kind of music. I listen to everything from Bach, to Corelli, to Rolling Stones to weird Arabic folk music to Flume and chill step and glitch hop.

But, the bigger, more important question you need to address and answer for yourself is, do you have vision and do you have something relevant to say that is of value to other people? Music creation is a form of art and a creative outlet. Which is fine for making your own art for yourself. My aunt is a painter and paints flowers all the time. But I would hardly call her art Jackson Pollock stuff. In order for your art to be appreciated, it needs to have a value to someone else. It needs to be perceived that it has value for the person experiencing that art and it worth their time experiencing it. Sometimes media create that value for people. Other times the artists themselves create it. But it has to have value of some kind in order to be considered relevant art. Else it's about as useful and interesting as random graffiti on a concrete wall.
Last edited by telecode on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

@xoxos I’m not sure the refusal to accept help from those who came before you and have learned a thing or two has served you well. You want to figure things out on your own and not be influenced by the biases of others. However, we do not exist in a vacuum. You’ve heard music before. You know what it sounds like. The basic knowledge of how to employ the rules of timbre, melody, harmony, and rhythm have already been transferred to you, whether you like it or not. And you employ that theory, even if you are untrained and only capable of utilizing it at a rudimentary level. Surely you occasionally produce tones of definite frequency? And then change to a different frequency? That’s melody. Perhaps you even produce more than one tone at a time. Harmony. Wouldn’t it be great to know which frequency intervals/ratios work well together and in what sequence? Good news! You are not the first human to walk the western world. Others have already figured that out so that you don’t have to start from pure experiential deduction. They call it “music theory”.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 am You’ve heard music before. You know what it sounds like. The basic knowledge of how to employ the rules of timbre, melody, harmony, and rhythm have already been transferred to you, whether you like it or not. And you employ that theory, even if you are untrained and only capable of utilizing it at a rudimentary level.
Thats actually not true at all. Its a question that is constantly being challenged. When you hear music, how do you know its music? Why do you know its music? Even things that you hear that you dont like or arent into -- why do you inherently know its music when you hear it? Whether its hearing Iron Maiden for the first time or hearing sound scape artists for the first time -- you inherently know its music -- but the sounds dont have the qualities that you are used to hearing and accepting as "music".
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

i couldn't be arsed to learn any music bollocks, then computers came out.... pretty much did it all for me

telecode wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:15 pm Thats actually not true at all.
In this thread it is! We autodidacts are free to define music untruthfully. I find when an arrangement of pitch, timbre, melody, rhythm, etc evokes emotion, voilà c'est la musique! For example, I like Steve Reich's compositions (eg Different Trains) that use melodic speech and other recordings. He actually performed those sounds live using a Casio FZ-1 & I do similar.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

jancivil wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:32 am Oh yeah, there were no delay pedals then. Where would the money be for that if there were. Dude had a job and we got 1600 dollar moog 'cause it was hot. I set the price, 150, over the phone and they took a check on Saturday. I was stylin' if I could by a record with 3 bucks.
Yeah, no.
did you find the person it was stolen from? Or did you at least try to make amends? I mean you got very angry here when people were not as sympathetic about your gear getting stolen, you still try garner more sympathy with tales of your gear being stolen. So forgive me I dont follow the logic about bragging about buying stolen gear here :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”