Are 49 or 54 keys enough? [Solved]

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:51 pm What does portable mean in this context? Back pack or car boot? Why portable anyway?
It's a long story, but basically I have an idea to put a mini computer inside a keyboard, so I can have DAWs like FL Studio 20 and Ableton Live without the need of an external computer.

What mean by portable is I want to be able to take it around with me, not like under my arm portable, but relatively "mobile"

Not incredibly heavy, or really long.

BertKoor wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:51 pm Answer this: do / can you play with two hands? Two fingers, or just one?
Yes, that's probably going to determine what will work. If you don't use two hands to play then it's probably not worth going for something with a large number of octaves.

Are you planning to install a monitor in the keyboard as well?

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:54 pm
It's a long story,
we have time.

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:42 pmOof. They make 128-key Keyboards? That's insane. Lol.
They don't yet, but turn me loose with an adequate amount of investment money, and I'll start manufacturing them! :D

They will either take the form of MIDI controllers with 2 or 3 stacked keyboards, to reach the full 128 MIDI note range, or I'll offer MIDI controllers that wrap around you in a semicircle or circle.

Organs have been constructed with multiple stacked keyboards for ages. An organ with just 2 keyboards is actually considered "small" by organ standards. Three or more 61-note keyboards, in addition to a 37-note bass pedalboard, are very common. However, I don't think anyone has built a standalone MIDI controller with stacked keyboards that offers easy and simultaneous access to all 128 MIDI notes.

Also, semicircular and circular wraparound keyboards already exist, but I don't believe they are primarily designed to allow easy and simultaneous access to all 128 MIDI notes. They could be easily modified to do so, if the manufacturer wanted.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Yep, organs can have multiple consoles along with pedals, so they number of keys plus pedals (along with manipulating stops) requires a lot of dexterity, both hands and both feet to play.

Some probably have in excess of 300 keys.

BertKoor wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:51 pm Answer this: do / can you play with two hands? Two fingers, or just one?
I can play with two hands, two fingers, and one.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:57 pm Are you planning to install a monitor in the keyboard as well?
Sort of. An 11" Monitor, that will be attached with an HDMI port that is on the outside of the casing.

There will be a MIDI connection to the internal computer,

And,

If possible, a switch/toggle button that switches between the internal MIDI, and an External MIDI Port.

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:21 pm
So for example, would you play chords with your left hand and melody 2 or 3 octaves up with your right hand?

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:26 pm
So for example, would you play chords with your left hand and melody 2 or 3 octaves up with your right hand?
No, I'm right handed, and I play things in parts.

So,
I'll,
(For example):

Start off with the bass
Then then chords
Then the melody, etc.

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 pm

So,
I'll,
(For example):

Start off with the bass
Then then chords
Then the melody, etc.
Although it would be nice to have more than one octave to work with.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:12 pm Yep, organs can have multiple consoles along with pedals, so they number of keys plus pedals (along with manipulating stops) requires a lot of dexterity, both hands and both feet to play.

Some probably have in excess of 300 keys.
There's a church not terribly far from me which has a large organ console with five 61-note keyboards, stacked above each other, and a full 37-note bass pedalboard for your feet. That's 305 keys for your fingers, and 37 notes for your feet, for a grand total of 342. This organ console is a custom-made work of art. It controls several ranks of traditional organ pipes, along with several electronically sampled voices. In addition, each keyboard (and the pedalboard) can also transmit to external instruments on its own MIDI channel, if you feel the need to add more sounds to the system.

Yes, organs with an excess of 300 keys definitely do exist. They're rare, custom made, and expensive, but they're out there — kind of like exotic checkerboard guitars with 5 necks. Yes, I'm talking about you, Rick Nielsen! :hihi:
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 pm

So,
I'll,
(For example):

Start off with the bass
Then then chords
Then the melody, etc.
Right or left handed should make no difference for a piano.

So you don't play two handed? You play the parts separately? You probably don't need very many keys to be able to do that.

sounds like the best option is a latop computer and midi controller keyboard.... if only such things were available....

AnX wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 pm sounds like the best option is a latop computer and midi controller keyboard.... if only such things were available....
:hihi:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”