No More Excuses...Please Help A Wannabe Songwriter

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

realisation is the first step :)

vurt wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:55 pm realisation is the first step :)
Yes it is. Lunch and then we get to work.

Wags is about to board the one-way train out of Procrasti Nation.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:03 pm Wags is about to board the one-way train out of Procrasti Nation.
I'm trying very hard to do just that. Maybe I shouldn't overthink this and just write in the first style that comes to my mind. Worse case scenario is nobody has any interest in it. But I won't know unless I try.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:08 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:03 pm Wags is about to board the one-way train out of Procrasti Nation.
I'm trying very hard to do just that. Maybe I shouldn't overthink this and just write in the first style that comes to my mind. Worse case scenario is nobody has any interest in it. But I won't know unless I try.
It’s incredibly hard, I know the feeling only too well. I find opening up the DAW and simply tinkering on a new (or unloved old) synth kickstarts the creative juices.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:08 pm
indeed, just do something!
dont expect amazing, just enjoy the feel of playing.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:50 pm I'm scared that I'm going to do all this music, which is going to take a considerable amount of time to build up a large library of work, and it's all going to be for nothing. Every site will reject me and nobody will want my library music any more than they wanted my pop music. And the thought that that might be a reality is just too much for me to deal with. I'd rather just do nothing.
I still think you are approaching this all wrong :shrug: If you keep looking at the music production as a means to an end, you may always find failure. That doesn't mean you are destined to fail, but you are placing any possible amount of success to a large extent to factors outside of your control.

If the production of music is the end, then you are already successful with each completed project. Anything else is then a bonus.

Do it because you love doing it, or maybe look for something else you love more.

Like I wrote in an early post, if you take a look at the copy on the 'About' page of the site you have applied to, you get the idea that they aren't about churning out the same old content to make a quick buck. It's not a stretch to imagine that the kind of person they are looking for in their community is someone who first and foremost composes for the love of composing, and just happens to want to be paid also.

You may have a massive body of work in one discipline, but that's not what you are going for at this point. And it seems clear that you are not confident in your abilities in this new genre. It's easy to 'ape' genres and styles when there's nothing on the line, but I think your lack of familiarity with the type of music you seem to now want to do is at the root of your fears.

This thread actually inspired me to also look into the idea of trying this out, but I couldn't imagine even approaching anywhere before about 18 months, or so. Firstly, I have no theory under my belt, which I think is important. But more than that, I would want to get a substantial portfolio together, with which to assess my skills against similar artists, and to generally work out if I enjoy the process.

Of course, I am not suggesting that that is a model for what you should do. I think you are better placed to take certain shortcuts, than I. However, I do think you should put the brakes on.

You may talk of a plan, but it sounds more of a dream than a plan. A plan has actionable steps, the first of which, surely, would be to get a portfolio together.

Maybe I'm wrong, and you have things mapped out. Either way, if I were in your position (and given your current 'fears'), I would put on hold approaching any other companies. Furthermore, I'd contact the place you've already submitted to and ask them for advice. Maybe find out if demonstrating a talent for writing pop will be accepted as an indication that they should accept you for writing cinematic music. Maybe it will be fine. But if not, at least you could ask that they dismiss the material that you'd already sent, and ask if they'd be happy to receive more apropos submissions, a little further down the line :shrug:

Again, to be really clear, I'm just saying what I'd do. I'm not telling you what to do :tu:

Forgotten wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:12 pm Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Any excuse to down three pints of ale, and a couple of bags of peanuts :tu:

el-bo, you make a lot of sense. Ironically, I actually am familiar with many genres of music. That doesn't mean that I'm equally competent in each one. For that matter, some people think I'm incompetent in everything I do so choosing a genre is irrelevant. Ultimately, I will find out if what a lot of people say, that I have no talent, is actually true. If it is, it won't matter what I write.

However, having said that, if I can say to myself "screw the business" and just write this stuff for the love of writing music itself, then, as you said, anything above simply finishing a project is gravy. Hopefully, I can develop that attitude. I think once I actually start writing I will find that the process itself is what I really enjoy the most.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:31 pm
Forgotten wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:12 pm Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Any excuse to down three pints of ale, and a couple of bags of peanuts :tu:
:hihi:

Wags, why don't you go writing pop songs for your church? Publish one pop gospel every day! It's what you love and what you're comfortable with.

Then maybe in some years you can sue Ed Sheeran for plagiarism and grab some millions. :lol:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

BertKoor wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:52 pm Wags, why don't you go writing pop songs for your church? Publish one pop gospel every day! It's what you love and what you're comfortable with.

Then maybe in some years you can sue Ed Sheeran for plagiarism and grab some millions. :lol:
I've already written quite a few anthems for my church. In fact, so many that it's starting to become the Wagtunes show over there. I really don't want to end up dominating the choir repertoire.

And of course he didn't even write this song.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”