App and/or hardware to reference DAW through iPhone

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lets get the elephant out of the room first. I'm a Hi-Fi guy like the rest of you and I am saddened the kiddies only listen to mp3s on £10 earbuds.
However.... that is the reality so let's all get off our lawns and discuss my question.

Is there an app or hardware that will allow me to monitor my DAW via my iPhone? It goes without saying it will be used in conjunction with my main monitors.

Logic tells me I would need an interface for the phone and an app with live monitoring.

TIA

EDIT: not really interested in a dropbox solution as thats what I do currently.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Do you want realtime monitoring, or just do a reference listen on your phone. From your 'edit' I'll take it's the last one.

You might be able to find some application that let you stream the audio from your DAW to your local network. If you can do that, there are several mobile audio players that can play network streams. I see that VLC is on the appstore (I use that on Android), but not sure how the iPhone version will perform.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Thanks. I would like real-time.

At the moment I’m rendering the track and checking but that’s a PITA for checking individual elements. I’ll check out VLC, I have that on my Android tablet and love it.

Good thinking though re streaming the audio. I wonder if I can set something up with Bluetooth.

What about researching the frequency response of iPhone headphones (or something similar) and then creating a filter preset in your mastering tool to check out what it sounds like?

You could then just plug iPhone headphones straight into whatever you do your mastering on and listen to the same response you would get from an iPhone.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:41 pm What about researching the frequency response of iPhone headphones (or something similar) and then creating a filter preset in your mastering tool to check out what it sounds like?

You could then just plug iPhone headphones straight into whatever you do your mastering on and listen to the same response you would get from an iPhone.
There is a VST that does this and it’s just not the same. The frequency response isn’t the only variable.

You’re right and it wasn’t a very good example that I gave. The headphones I can manage as you say, I’m only interested in the phone itself.

I am rather surprised this is proving such a challenge. I would have expected a load of solutions out there. Not necessarily for professional audio but for domestic use.

What about installing some kind of media server software on your DAW and then using an app on the iPhone to listen to tracks you upload to the server? Plex, or something along those lines?

(You would have to render a mix, so it wouldn't exactly be real time though)

* Edit - I assume you don't have a Mac so can't consider AirPlay?

Actually, did you check out these guys:

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Yeah no Mac.

This is kind of what I do now with uploading to Soundcloud, Dropbox, etc but it’s a bit of a faff if I just want to quickly check a hi hat level for example.

Essentially all I need is a recording app on the phone that allows for live monitoring. I can then connect a 3.5mm input from the DAW/monitor controller.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:05 pm Actually, did you check out these guys:

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/
A quick look at this and it looks ideal!
Checking them out further now :tu:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:43 am I wonder if I can set something up with Bluetooth.
VLC wont stream incoming Bluetooth audio afaik. You need something LAN-based.
Forgotten wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:00 pm What about installing some kind of media server software on your DAW and then using an app on the iPhone to listen to tracks you upload to the server?
That was basically what I suggested already :D

But here is something free that might get you sorted:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2938518 ... -tool.html
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

That one looks good also. I assume there will be no issues when using a USB sound card as opposed to the built in sound.

Will check it out tonight :tu:

I'm going to look into it later this week myself, you made me think of the possibilities to do reference monitoring on other stuff then my studio monitors :-D

:tu:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”