over headphones for live gig monitoring-naff or ok?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I cannot use IEM's as I cannot get past the vocal sounding like it's in a tunnel. And no I cannot afford the +$1000 units!

So I was thinking about the smaller form factor over ear cans for on-stage monitoring. I do a solo show keys/bass vocal and tracks. And sometimes I just cannot get away with using the F.O.H. doing double duty as a monitor as well. Quiet gigs are ok, but louder pub and club gigs I start to get all sorts of feedback issues.

So what is the consensus - do over ears (even if small) look naff (or dumb and detract from the visual), they'd be be okay, or neither of these as long as it gets the job done?

Thanks - JUST in case anyone responds.....

wedges not an option? I wouldn't wear cans on stage, but that might just be me. I had been forced on a couple occasions in my time to just rely on what I could hear from the FOH speakers, and those shows were always followed by people telling me my singing was especially horrible that evening. Wedges would be what I would do.

thanks, yeah I thought of a wedge - $'s are a bit tight and I'm trying to go low-ball for the moment. Unfortunately my experience with the cheaper end of town for wedges has been non too favourable :( all sorts of level, clarity and feedback issues. It's an extra speaker to carry too.

I feel your pain, although the feedback can usually be dealt with by mic/monitor placement,Eq, or a feedback eliminator box (never used one myself tho). The most important thing is the sound heard by your audience, the second most important thing is your visual presentation, the least important thing is the sound quality that you hear, as long as you can accurately tell the notes you are playing/singing. So you have the choice of looking naff, or dealing with either the IEM’s/wedges you can afford. You know that wearing cans on stage wont look right, or you wouldn't have posted the topic, lol. Only thing that might work is making the headgear part of your stage persona, a/la dedmouse, although DJs can get away with wearing headphones anyway. Just my thoughts.

This is me, I wear headphones, I've had too many experiences where I'm just chucked on with not enough of a soundcheck and bad monitoring has caused me to play badly, so I just wear headphones, I practice with them too, and I don't mind the look. Roger Waters wore headphones for monitoring too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZR6UdD2LM

thanks guys - good responses - I really appreciate it!
@an electric heart - that doesn't look too bad at all really, thanks!

It's really about the message you want to send.

You often see drummers wearing chunky over-ear cans that look like ear defenders; and that's cool because it has an association with loudness.

You expect to see a DJ using headphones, especially on one-ear only, so a turntablist or electronics noodler might give a good impression using DJ cans as it sells the idea that they are doing something complex and not just miming to a backing track.

It's not a great look on a lead singer though, as it's putting something between them and the audience. It breaks the illusion that they are sharing a sonic space with you.

As everybody(else on the planet) uses IEMs, I'd recco you try them again based on a tight budget.
fwiw - I've had really good experience with whatever model of Shure in-ears I've used(i.e.could afford)

best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”