We won’t be listening to music in a decade according to Vinod Khosla

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm ahead of the curve. I didn't listen to any music the day before yesterday.

Forgotten wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:13 pm
JerGoertz wrote:(The Doctor loses the thumb drive that stores the universe and it gets flushed down the Tardis' toilet
It would be a nightmare to find it again - I heard the TARDIS' toilet is bigger on the inside than the outside...
A veritable labyrinth of plumbing.
A well-behaved signature.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:19 pm Total Bollox
QFT.

You may have heard, Khosla is the California billionaire who wanted to privatise the public surfing beach by his property, and lost in the courts again and again. Certainly not someone with good judgment (but probably trying to spruik his investment in a failing AI company).
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:13 am You may have heard, Khosla is the California billionaire who wanted to privatise the public surfing beach by his property, and lost in the courts again and again. Certainly not someone with good judgment (but probably trying to spruik his investment in a failing AI company).
I knew his name was familiar. I remember the guy now - hasn't that been going back and forth for years? If I remember right, he keeps getting expensive lawyers to fight judgments against him to open the beach to the public again, but he doesn't own the beach, he just bought the land that the beach is accessed from.

^^^yes that’s him.
He took it all the way to the US Supreme Court, but they wouldn’t hear it.
And now he has another stupid idea that people consider seriously just because he’s a billionaire.
But at least he’s not bored and running for President, yet.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:20 am He took it all the way to the US Supreme Court, but they wouldn’t hear it.
What a moron! Billionaire is told he can't block access to a public beach by buying the land around it, and he thinks that the highest court in the land needs to hear his case? Money really makes some people deluded.

tampacct wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:03 pmhave you actually read "the singularity is near" by ray kurzweill?
I did.

He's taken an observation about human history, fudged it a lot, applied it to the future, imagined some stuff in a nice science fiction writer sort of way, then took it way too seriously and made way too specific predictions. And then when those failed, he claimed they were basically true in spirit if not in fact.

Technology is marching on, but think about this:

Time traveler from 2009, in 2019: superficial changes, really. They already had Facebook, Twitter, 4chan, Netflix, Kindles, Roombas, XBox, Uber... and self-driving cars were coming but not yet here. There haven't even been big changes in fashion, music, etc.

Time traveler from 1999 in 2009: they would be surprised by iPods, smartphones, texting, GPS, Wikipedia, social networks, and hybrid cars. In 1999, Google was just a search engine for web pages, and Apple was introducing bulbous plastic iMacs.

Time traveler from 1989 in 1999: they would be surprised by the web, email, Linux, Windows, digital cameras, CD-ROM, DVDs, etc.

That really doesn't look like a hockey-stick graph of progress so fast human brains can't keep up with it...

Vinod Khosla won’t be listening to music in a decade according to Vinod Khosla.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I very much doubt AI will have *any* significant impact on music creation before the human species completes its suicide.

I've made this argument too many times and it's too obvious to keep re-rehearsing it in any thorough way, it's become boring. But learning chess strategy has little if anything to do with music composition. Music with the personality of a machine is not going to change music, it's a silly notion. We're back to the thought experiment in Blade Runner and that's a quantum leap from here.

Absolute horseshit

Bit like when a famous guitarist has proof that Cubase sounds better.

wish i was so organised i could plan my life ten years in advance.
i dont even know what im eating for tea today :o

Bread and butter, washed down with a glass of water.

Aloysius wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 am Bread and butter, washed down with a glass of water.
as appetising as that sounds, im watching my cholesterol.

I've got loads of that if you're looking for some.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”