We won’t be listening to music in a decade according to Vinod Khosla

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

From https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/12/we-wo ... od-khosla/
“I actually think 10 years from now, you won’t be listening to music,” is a thing venture capitalist Vinod Khosla said onstage today during a fireside chat at Creative Destruction Lab’s second annual Super Session event.

Instead, he believes we’ll be listening to custom song equivalents that are automatically designed specifically for each individual, and tailored to their brain, their listening preferences and their particular needs.

Khosla noted that AI-created music is already making big strides — and it’s true that it’s come a long way in the past couple of years, as noted recently by journalist Stuart Dredge writing on Medium.

As Dredge points out, one recent trend is the rise of mood or activity-based playlists on Spotify and channels on YouTube. There are plenty of these types of things where the artist, album and song name are not at all important, or even really surfaced. Not to mention that there’s a big financial incentive for an entity like Spotify to prefer machine-made alternatives, as it could help alleviate or eliminate the licensing costs that severely limit their ability to make margin on their primary business of serving up music to customers.

AI-generated chart toppers and general mood music is one thing, but a custom soundtrack specific to every individual is another. It definitely sidesteps the question of what happens to the communal aspect of music when everyone’s music-replacing auditory experience is unique to the person. Guess we’ll find out in 10 years.
I could see this happening for some people that aren't too invested in artists, or maybe they do care but not always (e.g., as the article says, in a mood or doing an activity) and as lower-cost background music in public and semi-public places.

Human created music will never be snuffed out (prisoners created illegal art in concentration camps like Auschwitz and Tule Lake). But I agree it could have a hard time commodity-wise when AI music is good enough. N.B. venture capitalist Vinod Khosla makes a distinction between AI "song equivalents" and music.

so what hes saying is "spotify stiffing ai composers is what will bring about the ai- pocalypse" :o

There is a whole new genre of "think piece" published primarily in tech magazines and blogs, wherein a clever person who does good work in a particular area is quoted saying something about another area of which they know almost nothing.

This genre deserves a name. Any ideas, any one?

Future ShAIt
Classic ShAIt
ShAIt RnB
ShAIt pop
Folk ShAIt

Total Bollox

TOTAIL BOLLOX

I actually think 20 years from now, on Spotify and channels on YouTube AI will be listening to music composed by itself.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:19 pm Total Bollox

DING! DING! DING!

I believe we have a winner.

So...a guy whose main focus in life is making money gives his uninformed opinion on music and we're supposed to give a shit?

Some people might be OK with listening to AI generated music (I guess people who listen to top 40 music charts), but how many times have we heard this crap before? From the guy at Decca who thought guitar music was on its way out, to synthesizers killing live music, etc.

ray kurzweil said id be living on a usb drive :shrug:

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:33 pm ray kurzweil said id be living on a usb drive :shrug:
have you actually read "the singularity is near" by ray kurzweill? because i have, and by read, i mean looked through the front of the book, where the chapter list is, where the robotics firms text message each other, via the half price books used section. he was a popular synthesizer "inventor"? well he has electronic music and synthesis name credit, and puts a spotlight on that section, cognitive science. if you read between the lines, artificial intelligence books, aren't talking about artificial intelligence, which the books on can be auto generated, thanks to or lack of understanding advanced computer science. do any of the books in this section wear a paper sleeve? what's on the cover. what's the picture. drag your finger down the chapter list, what's the deal. are robots ready? is it a game to us? find out for yourself, at a half price near you.

im going by a talk he gave, not a book.

as for are robots ready, geordy rose of sanctuary ai/dwave and such seems to think we are not far off.
although, it depends what you mean by robots i guess, because some are already doing stuff. mostly repetitive tasks, but that's what most humans have done for work for ever so why not the bots? its what needs doing!

I don't how we can evaluate the quality of something that hasn't been invented yet not its impact before it has arrived. Machine learning is going to be far reaching and I don't believe for a second that it will be limited to repetitive tasks and simple automation. Once creativity is better understood it will be synthesized. Maybe not in 10 years, but it will come. Look at what DeepMind has done with "GO" and Deep Blue has done with chess. Look at the advancements in deep fakes, speech and facial recognition for a clue as to what is possible. Just because we don't like the idea of what is to come or we are threatened by it doesn't mean it isn't inevitable.

Scotty wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:12 pm I don't believe for a second that it will be limited to repetitive tasks and simple automation.
nor do i, in the future.
im just saying, that's where we are at now.
in answer to "are robots ready?"
i was just wondering if we were including the current manufacturing crop, or whether we are just focused on the more free ranging/free thought?

Scotty wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:12 pm Just because we don't like the idea of what is to come or we are threatened by it doesn't mean it isn't inevitable.
im also not against it, i can see as many pros as cons for a future where man and machine co exist, even sometimes in the same body.
imagine the advances ai articial limbs could gain, improving the lives of so many :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”