Underground remixes of big artists

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't really know if this is much of a thing but I was just sat wondering whether there's underground remixes of popular artists. I checked out Rihanna remixes but they were mainly edm and trap. No beef with this but wanted to go more underground. Anyone know any? Late night tuff guy does a lot of good disco edits. That's my offering lol.

Slightly different angle with this reply than that of your question but tbh, the remix scene now is not worth it compared to 20 years ago unless you have prior approval by the original artist. I've made a few bootleg remixes over the years and up to about 2 years ago, those remixes would stay up on the internet without fear of being taken down (some of them got a few hits / likes, and some not many).

Now, due to the increased ability of algorythms on places such as Youtube and Soundcloud to spot similar vocal tracks etc buried into remixes, as well as the money-focused intolerance of music execs towards any unapproved remixes, then you might well have a hard time keeping your remix effort in the public sphere beyond a few days.
Of course, not all original artists/musix execs will operate in this way (indeed some might welcome a new spin on their tune). But many of them will get your bootleg remix taken down - including some artists such as Mark Ronson (from my own personal experience) - who have themselves built up careers as remixers.

As a final point, the technology has moved on extremely impressively in recent years so now any of us can do a pretty reasonable remix (with a bit of musical understanding and creative effort), but overall the heyday of unique, well-received underground remixes died about 15 years ago.

Tl:dr - by all means create remixes to polish up your production skills, but don't expect the end product to exist on the internet for more than a day unless yours is an official remix.

Ps - yes, I could reel off a list of underground remixers but tbf I'm a middle-aged bloke now so my radar on cool upcoming remixers is probably way off! :hihi:

dark water wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:34 amNow, due to the increased ability of algorythms on places such as Youtube and Soundcloud to spot similar vocal tracks etc
That explains something I was wondering about. I've had cover versions come up as copyright infringement even though they are recorded from scratch.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

v. interesting. thanks.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”