Who is better the Beatles or Led Zeppelin

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What sometimes is missed in the plagiarism conversation are the instances when folks doing the right thing have helped out "less popular" artists. For example, it's been said that during his final days in 1969 Skip James was able to get better care due to the royalties that came his way from Cream's recording of "I'm So Glad".

The rigorous truth is that artists tend to borrow and sometimes may not even be aware that they've done so, but those who steal from the less fortunate often only end up hurting their legacy.

herodotus wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:09 pm
Bombadil wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 pm
herodotus wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:39 pm I knew that the Beatles would 'win' in this 'contest', because I have been here at kvr for way too long, and I know the overall feel of the place.

But to be serious for a moment (sorry vurt), the interesting thing is not that the Beatles are slightly more popular, but that a band like Led Zeppelin got as popular as they did. Metal has become an underground musical style, with the vast majority of major bands getting zero radio play and little in the way of national promotion. And outside of a handful of bands it kind of always has been this way.

Led Zeppelin made things even more difficult for themselves by doing all of the quirky acoustic stuff that they did (e.g. most of their 3rd album), and yet they sold a ridiculous amount of records.

It is kind of odd, really.
The Beatles win in most every place, especially with a cohort of baby-boomers involved. Why do you think that is?
Because baby boomers are boring?

:hihi:
Well, you just disqualified yourself as a neutral observer. Thanks for playing!

Next! :hihi:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:05 pm
Not really, they are awesome.
Oh, I agree. I think that relatively few people have actually listened to most of the songs on Physical Graffiti or Presence. And tend to judge them based on the 5 boring songs that have gotten the most radio play.

But very few bands with such a hard to categorize catalog of styles become so popular.

Apropos of this, a friend who saw them in 75, got really excited when they came on stage with acoustic instruments to start the evening; he was especially excited because John Paul Jones had his rare triple neck acoustic (my friend is a collector of rare instruments).

Anyway, the hicks who live around here started f**king booing. Like, how dare these guys play anything but Rock and Roll and Whole lotta Love!

Anyway, a less established band probably would have been told off by their label for daring to try to be interesting and unpredictable. But it didn't hurt their record sales at all.

Eclecticism wasn't a dirty word in those days, and music wasn't as over-defined into hard sub-genres as far as labeling goes. We can thank the Beatles for that.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:22 pm
herodotus wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:09 pm
Bombadil wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 pm
herodotus wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:39 pm I knew that the Beatles would 'win' in this 'contest', because I have been here at kvr for way too long, and I know the overall feel of the place.

But to be serious for a moment (sorry vurt), the interesting thing is not that the Beatles are slightly more popular, but that a band like Led Zeppelin got as popular as they did. Metal has become an underground musical style, with the vast majority of major bands getting zero radio play and little in the way of national promotion. And outside of a handful of bands it kind of always has been this way.

Led Zeppelin made things even more difficult for themselves by doing all of the quirky acoustic stuff that they did (e.g. most of their 3rd album), and yet they sold a ridiculous amount of records.

It is kind of odd, really.
The Beatles win in most every place, especially with a cohort of baby-boomers involved. Why do you think that is?
Because baby boomers are boring?

:hihi:
Well, you just disqualified yourself as a neutral observer. Thanks for playing!

Next! :hihi:

I am one year too young to be a boomer according to Wikipedia. And of course that one year somehow makes all the difference.

Odd, that.

Bombadil wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:31 pm Eclecticism wasn't a dirty word in those days, and music wasn't as over-defined into hard sub-genres as far as labeling goes. We can thank the Beatles for that.
Sir Paul approves of your obsequious fawning.

herodotus wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:34 pm I am one year too young to be a boomer according to Wikipedia. And of course that one year somehow makes all the difference.
Well, I mos def qualify as GenX and I prefer Beatles over Zep.
So there.

farlukar wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:41 pm
herodotus wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:34 pm I am one year too young to be a boomer according to Wikipedia. And of course that one year somehow makes all the difference.
Well, I mos def qualify as GenX and I prefer Beatles over Zep.
So there.
Hey, it's not me. It's Wikipedia. WIKIPEDIA!!

It's like, scientific and stuff.

Who is better science or wikipedia

neither
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

And for the record (And again, vurt, sorry for being serious) I think that dividing the civilized world into neat "generations" which each supposedly have personality traits and universal preferences is one of the most silly notions ever foisted upon the world by journalists.

Nature abhors a vacuum categorazation

farlukar wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 pm Who is better science or wikipedia
That would have to be science. No one f**king loves Wikipedia.

farlukar wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 pm Nature abhors a vacuum categorazation
The technology of making a vacuum comes from aliens.

This picture proves it:

Yoko or Lennon
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”