Shutting down Studio Monitors.

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

i have a (maybe stupid) question. My teacher always said: "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers".

So, i have my speakers behind a desk on stands and its not very easy to get to them. but i always have to, to turn them on/off. Is it precarious to just put them into a plugbar with a powerbutton to turn them on/off? could this cause damage to the power adapter of the speakers?

Thanks for your answers!

That's what I have always done. I have my monitors connected to rack-mounted power conditioners, which have a front facing power switch. A standard power strip would do the same job.

It won't make any difference.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I'm old school with passive monitors and a power amp, I also have a main power switch for the whole studio. It would take me years to break the habit of amps off first (though they are on standby tube guitar amps as well) then the main power switch...else I get a pop, cones dont like pops...my Tannoys have been there 20 years now and in pretty much the same condition as when I won them in a sales contest in '99 (as I recall I had to sell 6 pair in a month to get a free pair). FTR I have always used power amps that are significantly overpowered for my monitors, I never have turned them up louder than they can handle though, but I believe at the same volume level there is less distortion and better sound than if I were running an amp rated for those speakers and driving the amp more.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I have some presonus monitors that I leave on most of the time. I wouldn't mind
getting some better ones, so I don't care particularly, if it shortens their lifespan.
I've been doing it for a couple of years, seemingly they are completely unaffected :neutral:

I kick mine on the ground and bludgeon them with a club.

remote control power socket
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:24 pm remote control power socket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRWtFVFSx5I

edit: someone was gonna do it :shrug: and vurt, there's an ear worm for yah :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Every studio monitor I have ever seen just has a switch on the hot wire going to the transformer. So cutting power from a power strip is 100% equivalent to using that switch.

I have an Harman & Kardon amp - that clearly draw certain relays and stuff in a fashion to protect circuits. First cutting audio output, then mains. Since it's remote controlled, it has to be done this way - but still a lot of thought put into this.

First unit I got also had a fault I got repaired later, and before shutting down - it said "protecting" in display - this while running, and finding faults with voltages.

But as said - if having mechanical power switch - probably nothing to worry about. They probably have built in time delays on things needing to be shut down in certain order - not to shorten lifespan of unit.

Often there are various disclaimers in manuals not to void warranty and things. If they don't mention how to power down - then no worries, I think.

Off topic...
I read these disclaimers at some time out of interest.
I bought some electrical heaters at some time for a place I rented, and manual made a disclaimer that when not closeby power should be turned off - I mean what is this, heaters should create cold apartment while out? :D
This was all about manufacturer saving their own ass if it should create a fire or similar.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”