Best debut album?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

C'mon people, no love for Television?

http://youtu.be/WfO9lpbbW_4

Music With Changing Parts - Philip Glass
Drumming (1971, but the 1974 recording is far superior) - Steve Reich

Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium 2003

Ambient 3: Day of Radiance - Laraji

I thought Worst Case Scenario was great and had one of the best reviews ever:
Pretentious art wank? Possibly. But as a big fan of art and wanking, I make no apologies for proclaiming dEUS the most refreshing young guitar aspirants of 1994.

Marillion – Script For A Jester’s Tear

Pure Pop for Now People (better order/tracks than Jesus of Cool)

Alive on Arrival - Steve Forbert

A lot of great ones already listed. Here's a few not mentioned yet:

America: America
Chicago: Chicago Transit Authority
Todd Rundgren: Runt
Steely Dan: Can't Buy a Thrill
Last edited by gnu23 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death

gnu23 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:26 pm A lot of great ones already listed. Here's a few not mentioned yet:

America: America
Yes. And while they subsequently did good albums, their debut really still sparkles with uniqueness - and I love that they played most of the instruments - something they never returned to.

SODDI wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:13 pm
rp314 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:21 pm Yeah, a lot of great debut albums were apparently like that. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj_XxuE ... 1&index=20

Face it, in the late 40s not many record producers wanted to take a chance on issuing a full album of music by some crazy dude named Thelonious Monk... :hihi:

The test of time is not always cruel. :D
In the late 40s (and the entire 50s), not many producers or labels wanted to release albums by black artists. Those that dared were real heroes.

And that is part of the reason for the proliferation of black owned and operated record labels like King and Motown in the late 50s and early 60s. Tech got more affordable, studios could be established in places where the big labels wouldn't, the talent was already there...
And in some cases the original "singles" were out of print for so long that I think it's understandable that for many a reissue compilation might be considered a debut album. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxwz8ab6xHY

:D
Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

:phones:
Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Skgxs - Charity for snails
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”