Best debut album?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another sweet debut:

The Band – Music From Big Pink

PatchAdamz wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:02 pm Another sweet debut:

The Band – Music From Big Pink
Funny, as I was about to add:

The Big Pink - A Brief History of Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2jw-NcQ9s

rp314 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:21 pm Yeah, a lot of great debut albums were apparently like that. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj_XxuE ... 1&index=20

Face it, in the late 40s not many record producers wanted to take a chance on issuing a full album of music by some crazy dude named Thelonious Monk... :hihi:

The test of time is not always cruel. :D
In the late 40s (and the entire 50s), not many producers or labels wanted to release albums by black artists. Those that dared were real heroes.

And that is part of the reason for the proliferation of black owned and operated record labels like King and Motown in the late 50s and early 60s. Tech got more affordable, studios could be established in places where the big labels wouldn't, the talent was already there...

I have these (not always the whole CD, in some cases just a few songs from the CD) in my music collection... and therefore they are the best.

Hahahha, well, isn't that how everyone thinks of their music collection? If you don't think that they are the best and still are the best then what are they still doing being in your music collection? Sell them or donate them otherwise?

On second thought, I guess "keep them" is also an option just in case later on you tend to regret not keeping anything you got rid of.

Or or or... just listen to them on YouTube, taking for granted that the songs and even YouTube itself will always be there.

Slanted and Enchanted - Pavement
Psychocandy - The Jesus & Mary Chain
Is This It - The Strokes
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Tidal - Fiona Apple
B-52s - The B-52s
The Doors - The Doors
Weezer - Weezer
Outlandos d’Amour - The Police
The Ramones - The Ramones
Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses
The Velvet Underground and Nico - The Velvet Underground
Never Mind the Bollocks - The Sex Pistols
Music From Big Pink - The Band
Pretenders - The Pretenders
The Cars - The Cars
Van Halen - Van Halen
Boston - Boston
Beauty and the Beat - The Go-Go's
Are We Not Men? We Are Devo! - Devo
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
Pretty Hate Machine - Nine Inch Nails
Homework - Daft Punk
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

I'll also throw another into the ring,
Pearl Jam - Ten
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I am amazed at how boringly mainstream everyone's taste is. There is almost nothing here that's properly alternative, which makes me wonder if that's down to how difficult it is to find anything non-mainstream these days.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

SODDI wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:12 am 6 and 12 String Guitars - Leo Kottke.
:hail:

Rhythm & Sound - Rhythm & Sound
Pole - Pole 1
Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:57 pm I am amazed at how boringly mainstream everyone's taste is. There is almost nothing here that's properly alternative, which makes me wonder if that's down to how difficult it is to find anything non-mainstream these days.
or that 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of it sucks

EDIT: Disclaimer .. I am just being a super sarcastic dick... It's Monday after all.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

These spring to mind - I'll submit this list of bands/artists with the caveat: *strong* first effort vs. "Best Debut Album" since that can be quite subjective, IMHO -

The Allman Brothers Band
Foreigner
Deep Purple
Carole King
Eagles
Santana
Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Neil Diamond
Pat Benatar
Heart
Eddie Money
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Chicago (Transit Authority)
The Kinks
Sonny & Cher
Madonna
Annie Lennox
Robert Plant
The Outlaws
Aerosmith
Rush
George Thorogood
Peter Schilling
Molly Hatchet

Yet I couldn't name one of those albums and I imagine few of them were as successful as later releases. It seems more slick you are listing your favourite artists (all of which turn my stomach in varying degrees).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:49 am Yet I couldn't name one of those albums and I imagine few of them were as successful as later releases. It seems more slick you are listing your favourite artists (all of which turn my stomach in varying degrees).
A few of them are favorites; not all - the list is more of an awareness of what was popular for a time (I've been a musician for decades; so I suppose that was part of the job :hihi: ) - zero stomach-turning here, btw.

As far as naming: Some debut albums are simply self-titled (Boston: Boston is a great example - as was mentioned in this thread) besides: I'm lazy, so I wasn't going to list them out - they're easy enough to find.

SEAL = Another Classic
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”