A question for mixing engineers :

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello ! I already did a topic where I have spoke about Mastering engineers.
So this is not a spam message, I will speak about a totally different subject.

Basically, I have hearing loss on the high end, and I make EDM music.

My hearing is "ok", I am not deaf or anything, but I have troubles to hear the very high frequencies, or what we call the "air".

For this reason, I have difficulties to judge the quality of the high end of my music. I know that there is compensation techniques to mix with hearing loss, but I prefer far more to give this work to a mixing engineer.

Okay, now the questions :

1. From what I understand, when sending the tracks to the mixing engineer, I have to send dry files. This is logical and a good new at the same time, because it is not expected from me to make some EQ decisions.

HOWEVER. I make the sound design of my tracks. I use a lot of supersaw sounds, and a supersaw sounds like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XPkHMRSNSQ

So it is a sound full of high frequencies.

Now, the issue is the following : when creating my supersaw, even if I don't have to add any EQ (because the sound engineer will do it), I could miss something and add a bit too much high frequencies with the filter.

In this case, can it be corrected by the mixing engineer ?

And the last question :

Can I be a music producer, and make music, and don't care anymore about my hearing loss, while working with a mixing engineer who will be able to handle the high end for me ?

Thanks !

Adding or substracting high frequencies is a trivial operation, and doesn't affect the supersaw at its basics.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 pm Adding or substracting high frequencies is a trivial operation, and doesn't affect the supersaw at its basics.
Okay ! So let say I create a supersaw, but I push too much the "treble" knob making the high too present, it is easy for the engineer to correct it ? :D :love:

The quick answer to all your questions so far is YES.

Also, when you send your individual track files off to the mixing engineer, if you like a particular effect on the mix (or one of the individual tracks), or even the whole balance of the mix, send a dummy mix to them as well.

If you are using a reputable mixing engineer, trust them to be able to deal with EQ / high frequency issues better than you can with your hearing loss.

Lastly, it might help to also send the mixing engineer a copy of a commercial track or two that you like the sound of and which you want to come close to.
Then the engineer will have a pretty good idea of the ballpark sound you are seeking.

Bottom line: trust a reputable mixing engineer in a professional studio to make better decisions than you with your hearing loss. They will be happy with any dummy mixes / reference tracks in addition to your actual individual instrument tracks.

ClassicTrance wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm Now, the issue is the following : when creating my supersaw, even if I don't have to add any EQ (because the sound engineer will do it), I could miss something and add a bit too much high frequencies with the filter.
Filters in synths are usually of the high-pass type. They do not add or emphasise the high frequency, only cut them off. So you have nothing to worry about.

If you look at the spectrum of a saw or super saw (I linked to that in your previous topic about what to me sounds like the very same subject) it resembles pink noise, which is the ideal for a balanced mix.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:01 am
ClassicTrance wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm Now, the issue is the following : when creating my supersaw, even if I don't have to add any EQ (because the sound engineer will do it), I could miss something and add a bit too much high frequencies with the filter.
Filters in synths are usually of the high-pass type. They do not add or emphasise the high frequency, only cut them off. So you have nothing to worry about.

If you look at the spectrum of a saw or super saw (I linked to that in your previous topic about what to me sounds like the very same subject) it resembles pink noise, which is the ideal for a balanced mix.
Low pass ;)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:31 am
BertKoor wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:01 amFilters in synths are usually of the high-pass type.
Low pass ;)
Ofcourse! :dog: low-pass = high-cut
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”