Choose one of these terms to describe your studio.

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

My current music/audio studio is:

Bare-bones
21%
Retro
3%
Luxurious
9%
Practical
30%
Powerful
13%
Cheap
24%

Total votes: 91

RELATED
PRODUCTS

rob_lee wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:42 pm Main desk

Waldorf Quantum - (Pioneer AS-1 out for delivery today) - Novation Mono Station - Roland TR-09 - Roland TB-03 - Roland SH-01a - Tasty Chips Saw Bench - x1 Arturia Keystep - x2 Arturia Beatstep Pro's - Apple Logic X

Garage (Boxed)

Some Emu modules, Nord, JV2080 etc
did you vote "bare bones" :lol:

vurt wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:59 pm did you vote "bare bones" :lol:
Nah I voted cheap :lol: :lol: :lol:

Practical. Not a lot to look at (a desk, monitors, computer, interface, keyboard, amp). Any mess that occurs is due to having quite a few guitars packed into a relatively small area.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

No “unfinished “option ?

I chose "luxurious" although I'm sure that's a very subjective term. I would bet that my studio would be the envy of many on KVR. On the other hand, it pales in comparison to the pro grade spaces that many here have the pleasure of working in. Here's why I think mine is luxurious:

I took a 9' x 7' space in my basement and had it built out with some sound-proofing in the walls and a hardwood floor. It's finished in a calming blue, with custom matching shelving and outlets. A half-dozen guitars adorn the walls. The PC housing the guts of my recording gear was custom-built and is a breeze to use. I custom built the physical rig which now holds my S-88 keyboard, two flatscreens, powered monitors and audio interface. Computer keyboard and mouse disappear under the S-88 when not in use. Matching blue and black leather gaming command chair. Marshall fridge with all manner of libation.

It looks and feels great. I'm usually in there alone, but more than 2 people would be cramped. It's a great place to write and record, which I do just about every day. The shelves are lined with software boxes of all the programs I've purchased over the years. I've spent thousands over the years on the space, equipment and software, but I consider it money well spent, as the alternative would have probably been money spent on therapy which, for me, would have been much less satisfying.

Perhaps the biggest reason I think this is "luxurious" is that I do not earn any money from my music. Never have. A few of my things have been used commercially, but I've never asked for compensation. These days, some of the things I finish wind up on my YouTube video soundtracks. But that's about it. An expensive, but extraordinarily satisfying hobby.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:16 am And what would be the difference between Bare-bones and Cheap?
a setup with (random example) a 909, a real 303, a prophet 5 in good condition and a synclavier would be fairly bare-bones (in 2018 anyway) but certainly not cheap. it'd be harder deciding between bare-bones and luxurious.
cheap would be i.e. if you have a focus on free plugins or low-cost gear and such, with a "do a lot with little" approach.

luxurious can mean a few things, having an emphasis on comfort and style, or being loaded with desirable or rare gear. studios with a high-end vibe, real or perceived.

about messy: that's your own messiness you impose upon your poor studio. imagine it's all as clean and tidy as possible.

about unfinished: every studio is a WIP, unless you know you're making your final project and then you're retiring. artistic studios anyway, I guess utilitarian studios are more easily "finished". this is about a general assessment of the current state.

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:22 am Where is 'messy'?
Yeah, that's a critical option. Even when my studio is clean, it looks completely cluttered to others. 500 fuckin meters of cable will do that I guess.

if you have so much gear, because you need to have all the options at your fingertips all the time so that you can make everything because you're the boss, that you can barely see it behind the cables, "powerful" is a good option for you.

I wish I could select Practical like the fortunate majority it seems, but if I'm honest about it, it's nowhere near as practical as powerful.
Last edited by acYm on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Messy

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:22 am Where is 'messy'?
ha

No "expanding" option. My studio is expanding.

the poll has no time limit and you can change your option. e.g. it's bare-bones now, and becomes powerful or luxurious later. or, you have a luxurious studio, decide to get rid of the DAW, and now it's full-on retro.

cold.

I have two studios, so I will wait for the two studio poll :P

in that case, I'm making you choose a favorite between them. :wink: :arrow:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”