Where do you sell your music?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Normally music is either a hobby, or something I do for a client or employer. However, I wrote a children’s book and I set it to music. Mostly as a soundtrack to a video that I intend to use as a promo piece, but I thought I’d also sell the track for those who don’t want the book. I guess I’ll also put it on YouTube and try to see if it generates some ad revenue. I’ve had some initial success with the book, so why not, eh?

Tips? This isn’t something that big music fans will want. Think parents buying it for their kids. I imagine that having to register at a site to get it would be a bridge too far for most. It probably should be ubiquitous like iTunes or Spotify.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

bandcamp might work for you.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I use Bandcamp too. There are lots of online companies will register your stuff on iTunes, Spotify, etc if that's preferable. Cant think of any names atm ...

[edit] a friend of mine uses a distribution company called The Orchard.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Through my record label (who mostly sells through iTunes and Amazon) and before that Bandcamp.

I'll third Bandcamp. I have nothing but good things to say about the service.

Also, adding to thecontrolcentre's reply, DistroKid is a seemingly popular and acclaimed distribution service. Doesn't cost much either - it's only $20 a year. Haven't used it myself, though, but I've heard good things about it.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

This is only a user experience but I think it's relevant. After reading an interesting article, I did a Google search for EBM Music. Found a Band I really like via YouTube. Listened to a few Tunes. Went to their linked Bandcamp page and purchased a download. I'm not in the habit of purchasing music on-line but found this experience to be very good. For five euro (PayPal or CC), I was provided with various download formats. Eight in all. Formats suitable for all my devices and some I didn't need. While I was at the Band page I joined their Facebook group as well.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Some of the artists I follow have a Patreon page where you can pledge a certain amount per month and certain tiers allow you access to media files. Patreon takes 10%. I haven't actually Patreoned anyone yet, I tend to purchase off iTunes or cdbaby. Mainly iTunes for the convenience factor--all my devices will automatically download my latest purchases. I don't bother with streaming sites like Spotify since it's probably available on YouTube anyway.

There are various "music libraries" that will probably generate more money than something like bandcamp, if your music is good and you don't have big names to promote you.

If you feed Djs, Beatport?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”