Studio desk with sliding shelf for 88 key controller

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking to change things a bit as I need to downsize without actually getting rid of any gear.
I have a Kronos 88 and I'd love to have an option to have it on a sliding shelf (heavy keyboard so it have to be solid) underneath the main table that is supposed to house my Seaboard Rise 49, Computer keyboard/mouse, NI Machine Mikro, Blofeld Desktop, 2 19" rack modules (Roland XV5080 and a Behringer rack mixer) and a 27" computer screen. Having my Minilogue on there too would be awesome but I think that may be expecting too much.

I don't really need to have my monitors on there - most studio desks seem to have room for that - as I have separate monitor stands working just fine. Table length may not be more than 2,70 meters (around 8 ft 10")

Any ideas - or do have to build one myself? (that could get very ugly! :hihi: )
(Sorry for not being very fluent in the studio desk/shelf vocabulary - hope you get the idea anyway)

Not as hard to build as you might think. I bought the sliding shelf hardware on Amazon and mounted it under the desk with a precut piece of shelving from Home Depot. The hardware I bought allowed me to adjust how low the shelf would hang, and I had to extend it as far as it would go to get my MIDI controller to fit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHFRUHE/re ... 0503813187

Just do yourself a favor--turn the desk upside down and pre-drill the holes for the hardware. That makes the job go a lot faster and easier.

RichieWitch wrote:Just do yourself a favor--turn the desk upside down and pre-drill the holes for the hardware. That makes the job go a lot faster and easier.
That makes a lot of sense, thank you. How much does your controller weigh? The Kronos is 23 kg so I really need to do things right here :wink:

Hi - I built my own (with an 88 keyboard tray) - check it out here (with plans)

https://youtu.be/_KFrNO-7cN0

A bit OT but do you guys like having a sliding keyboard shelf? When I bought my desk I asked them to add one - but I don't really like playing on it, so I moved out the keyboard to a separate stand. Maybe it's just me, but the ergonomics just felt... off...

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:00 pm A bit OT but do you guys like having a sliding keyboard shelf? When I bought my desk I asked them to add one - but I don't really like playing on it, so I moved out the keyboard to a separate stand. Maybe it's just me, but the ergonomics just felt... off...

/C
It felt awkward to have shelf open (so I can reach my pads, sliders, knobs on MIDI keyboard) and to reach my typing keyboard and mouse in the same time, so I have shelf closed and just play the keys most of the times, some things just don't work as expected, ideally I think touch screen is better workflow enhancer than any midi keyboard DAW integration, so that's my next stop, gonna explore some solutions to have everything on my disposal when I set back in my chair.

Gonna abandon standard desk approach and go for adjustable stands for every piece, than adjust height and position of every component, so for example when I set back in my chair there's immediately screen in my head area which I can reach easily with my arms, under it mouse+ keyboard on a separate stand and under it the keys on yet another stand, so I'm not stretching to reach anything, it's like cockpit of some spaceship.

Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGfgFWc1U0I

creativesauce wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:11 pm Hi - I built my own (with an 88 keyboard tray) - check it out here (with plans)

https://youtu.be/_KFrNO-7cN0
"...by hitting the Dislike button twice!"

I love it! :hihi:

Nice desk! And I loved your vid. :tu:
Blue Phase Music

DrGonzo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:00 pm A bit OT but do you guys like having a sliding keyboard shelf? When I bought my desk I asked them to add one - but I don't really like playing on it, so I moved out the keyboard to a separate stand. Maybe it's just me, but the ergonomics just felt... off...

/C
I Never really thought of that. Good points. Duely noted, thanks :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”