Zappa - what a tight music arranger

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A clippet from the studio rehearsals for vocals in 1973 shows well how well and pedantically Zappa created his arrangements. Not any single random element. Its like classical music with a groove and attitude.
No wonder that Igor Stravinsky, Claude Debussy, Anton Webern and Edgard Varese were as important role models to him as r&b, jazz, blues, rock and doo-wob musicians. :phones:

https://youtu.be/-7nB4trlCzI

it's interesting that this video has 110,408 views... unauthorised... yet Diva and Ahmet continue to break Dweezil's balls for using his own f**king name.

Yeah Frank was a ball-breaker himself. He expected the best from his musicians.
He got into some pretty crazy computer arrangements too.
There was one famous quote, something like (ok gotta search)...

"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows."
- Frank Zappa

I watched a few things on Youtube regarding auditions for FZ.
Allan Zavod... Duke Ellington discovered him in Australia and arranged for him to go to Berklee school. Anyway, he'd been with J-L Ponty for 8 yrs. So the opening with FZ comes up in 1984, Tommy Mars isn't around for some reason. Zavod is in Arizona, he's on the phone with Frank who wants him to get there ASAP. There's no night flight outta there so AZ says he'll get the first flight out in the morning. "No! Drive here now!" so he does, getting there at like 4 in the morning after driving 8 hrs to start the audition.

Chad Wackerman's audition was a three-day long deal where FZ rented a motel room for him. Thunes was also one of these days-long jobs holed up in a motel, Scott had to learn Mo 'n Herb's vacation in there. Diabolical!

sqigls wrote:it's interesting that this video has 110,408 views... unauthorised... yet Diva and Ahmet continue to break Dweezil's balls for using his own f**king name.
I don't like all his music but FZ was one of the greatest of his time.

It's funny/sad how all the Zappa family horsesh!ttery regarding the name/musical legacy is precisely the reason why Frank said orchestras prefer playing public domain works by long-dead composers.

Yeah, on one hand he was "out there"

On the other hand he was "out there"

So amazing, but sometimes it was just too interesting.

Oh, but recently I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjMO_ewZxIQ

BTW, for fun, please go to 9 minutes and listen ;)

incubus wrote:Oh, but recently I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjMO_ewZxIQ

BTW, for fun, please go to 9 minutes and listen ;)
I can't even watch a full interview of him, let alone listen to a full track. I suppose that's something, eh? I can't think of another artist who triggers such a feeling of imminent dread at the thought of having to listen to them. I know that if I click play, I'm just going to regret wasting the time. He's just boring and it's pretty clear that he doesn't think so.

I'm not saying anything about his skill as a musician, I just find his messages utterly uninteresting. Does he think the whole bit with the brown lipstick is funny?

Well, I thought it was really great, but the part that stuck out to me is that it was "digitally recorded, mixed and mastered" which would be A SIN in this day and age. But he seemed to think it was ok.

incubus wrote:Well, I thought it was really great, but the part that stuck out to me is that it was "digitally recorded, mixed and mastered" which would be A SIN in this day and age. But he seemed to think it was ok.
Digital was the new thing, analog was the old thing.

ghettosynth wrote:Does he think the whole bit with the brown lipstick is funny?
It's funny as f**k.
David Letterman is such a brown-noser, you don't get it?
or you're a high-brow type of fellow?

I loved it as well.

sqigls wrote:
It's funny as f**k.
David Letterman is such a brown-noser of the dark lord, you don't get it?
The reference was obvious, that's the problem.

ghettosynth wrote:
sqigls wrote:
It's funny as f**k.
well, i think back then, saying that, on TV, to his face... probably didn't happen so often.

sqigls wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
sqigls wrote:
It's funny as f**k.
well, i think back then, saying that, on TV, to his face... probably didn't happen so often.
And? You're impressed by that?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”