Why are responses on KVR and GearSlutz are so different?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Depends on what day ..... hour it is.

Gearslutz seems more catered to a music production audience while KVR is more synth and electronic music oriented.

There is cross-over for both sites.
Both are great tools.

"Cos some people get banned at one place and some people get banned at t'other.

?

It's true,. atmosphere at both places depends on what is and isn't allowed.

Incubus, the fact that I don't post endless f**king diatribes about stuff and in fact get bored by posting longer than a sentence doesn't mean I'm trolling.

Eh, n/m

I mean, if someone wants to post about the difference being who gets banned, let 'em. Doesn't make it true.

I didn't expect some of the reactions to my post that I got. Obviously I was stating it as my own opinion and taste and not attempting to make some kind of objective statement.

Maybe if this convo continues we should start another topic but here I go... (I'll later admit to liking at least one Euphoric track >.>)

If I said pizza with pineapples was great but that pizza with anchovies sucks no one would ever assume I'm saying that everyone hates or should hate pizza with anchovies (although how they enjoy those piles of salt it is way beyond me). Or that pizza with anchovies is objectively bad. I don't think it should be necessary to make a disclaimer that many people quite enjoy anchovies and that my statement is an opinion.

Also what's wrong with accidentals (if they are used in a pleasing way)?

As far as melody... maybe it's the kind of psytrance I listen to, but I find a lot of melody in my favorite tracks, both from the 90's and most recently. Though I admit that Goa had it in the right direction, most modern psy is kind of unfeeling, "empty" and unmelodic.

Though it still exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB5Dvyn1gpU

And it has for some time...listen to how the cutoff expresses another layer dynamically independent of the lead melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdHAkS48xM

What I really hate about a lot of the European-born Trance like uplifting/whatever is that it all is so darn similar that after listening to a set of it for about 20 or 30 minutes I can't stand it. It all sounds so... homogeneous and I find that unbearable. There is no variation in the structure, sound design, types of melodies, or really anything. So much of it is totally formulaic and predictable. The supersaws are exactly if not almost identical as far as I can tell from casual listening.

Though I do admit there is some euphoric trance I really like that I feel is different and quite good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMcQ5Z0AIq4

If people like what I called "bad trance" I don't really care, I don't go around telling people that they should feel about for liking anchovies or that people shouldn't put anchovies on pizza. I just don't like them. Way too much of the same thing, like a salty taste, just ruins the entire thing for me.

...Except acid. You can never have too much acid, but that is because it relies on live changes to the sound design (I find it's best done by hand). In that Cosmosis track the changing parameters on that 303 with distortion were on a rhythm separate from the melody's with occasional flourishes and then there was another acidic sound carrying melodies (sounded like an SH-101) but it sounded really different in timbre. Acid is like the cheese of a pizza, and there is a LOT of different kinds of cheese and all are delicious (except for swiss).

Now, hopefully with my position fully explained and me addressing some other points as well, no one can accuse me of being a pizza trance elitist. You could call me a cheese elitist though I guess, that might be okay. But it's more of an addiction at this point. Just please don't make me eat anchovies.

It's hard to hear negatives about a thing we like. It can make us defensive. Our automatic reaction isn't to translate to "that person has different taste than myself". That takes a few moments of thought. I'm still working on wording myself from the angle of "that's not something for my personal tastes", rather than "that sucks" or "that's not even music" (I'm fond of commenting about non-melodic modular synth usage as "insect noises").

I'm not qualified to talk about trance. I do think I was around here when "tarnce" was coined as a term for cookie cutter dance music technique sought by a "nascent" musician ... (?). I think it's fair to compare constructs and production. I'm not fond of homogenous and static music that takes forever to progress (or doesn't), especially if it has a heavy beat.

I love pizza, but I no longer consume dairy. Can I opine about pizza quality? ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I'm qualified, it sucks.

:hihi:

And being lactose intolerant is NO EXCUSE. (and to be an even bigger douche, I had pizza for lunch :hyper: )

Oh, and another difference ....

Even though heart warming comedy is not appreciated here, it's absolutely inexcusable over there :hihi:

incubus wrote:Oh, and another difference ....

Even though heart warming comedy is not appreciated here, it's absolutely inexcusable over there :hihi:
Depends what you happen to consider as a "heart warming comedy" - in many cases the comedy warms just the writers heart. And, you only need to glance the Kvr "latest posts" any time, you find that quite big share of those are comedy or feature -based threads.

Not that there's anything wrong with a warm, good sense of humor, on the contrary, if there was any.

E.g. many may find the following just stupid, some may get irritated, some may even smile:

I don't believe in the incarnation, but if I did, I realize that Jimi Hendrix liked women so much that he became one: fix first your nales and boobs, then start a lick...

https://youtu.be/ed_w6Ysprps

Harry_HH wrote:start a lick...

https://youtu.be/ed_w6Ysprps
now this thread is going places...

Of course a forum full of "sluts" are going to respond differently than the chaste god fearing people of KVR forum.

The cool kids hang out at GearSlutz. The nerds on KVR.

:lol:

Seriously though, I spend time on both depending on my mood or what I'm interested in. KVR might be a little more "genteel," but it's also full of what seem to be kids who seem to wet their pants over a generic new synth because it comes with a bunch of very derivative sounding IDM presets. GearSlutzians are a bit more curmudgeonly, but are still wetting their pants over a new analog that has VCOs.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I sometimes land on GS in search of user opinions on plugins or gear, and every time leave after realising how full of shit most of the posters there are.

KVR isn't what it used to be either, the excitement about the plugin revolution and making music on a shoestring budget has waned off, and the enthusiastic community vibe is but a pale shadow of what it was 10 EDIT goddamn it's 14 years already :D ago.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”