Why are responses on KVR and GearSlutz are so different?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nonsense.

But as has been said, "who do thing I was" (great guitar riff here)

Katelyn wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:The cool kids hang out at GearSlutz. The nerds on KVR.
Wait. I thought it was cool to be a nerd now. Pop culture is so confusing.
It's actually cool to be geeky. Nerds were never cool (kind of).

Geek = more pop culture
nerd = more academic
I've heard both "geek" and "nerd" referenced as "cool" and "sexy", and often by people who, when i was in school at least, wouldn't ever have been called either...

I'm fond of this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMXRAWWiBw
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Well, the revolution happened. It's hard to remain excited about something a long time after it has happened.

I think shoestring budget is no longer the reason for people to move to all software production tools. I mean, it's not necessarily less expensive to do it. Software production tools took over and became the same big business as the hardware had been. Hardware makers even got into it as a last ditch effort to keep up with the times (hi Roland). Then everyone started realizing that they were missing the act of twiddling knobs, and the "software is good enough or better than hardware" movement deflated somewhat (and software companies like Arturia got upset at piracy and started making hardware products). Now we have resurrected retro hardware (as new hardware) to accompany the obsession with retro hardware (as "formerly unwanted analog garbage that now costs more than most people spend on cars").

A shoestring budget now is a laptop, a Korg Nano controller (or an M-Audio Oxygen 25), a set of speakers, and SynthEdit freeware plugins running on Reaper. Once you do so much with that lineup, the excitement does tend to wane as you learn more about production and music. It's inevitable that people will want to move on to new and different tools.

I think there will come a point where the only difference in tech between KVR and GearSlutz will be cultural origins, not any actual practical difference. The tendency for more working studio people to be over there vs over here is likely also going to level out between both sites since the economy and the market sucks for artists and musicians (a declining civilization generally sees suffering in the arts). I don't know what it's like outside the USA, but it seems the only people making a living off of music are live performers, and I suspect they make much less than in the past. Music has been so devalued and democratized that there's no demand and way too much supply.

I don't even know what I'm talking about now. I'm probably too bitter about life to be posting sensible commentary today.
It was actually very sensible, to the point of being conclusive.

One thing is identical, the absolute NEED to be right, even if you are wrong :lol:

Gearslutz is simply a far more expensive version of people arguing about nonsense.

it has been my impression that people at GS are retrogrades who hate technology with a passion. which is kind of surprising, given that most of them use ProTools and plugins and iLoks and whatnot on a daily basis. they nevertheless seem to eat up the crap RIAA's put out by the shovel, and have bought into the anti-tech industry propaganda.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:02 pm people at GS are retrogrades who hate technology with a passion. which is kind of surprising, given that most of them use ProTools
That is not a contradiction really.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

asksol wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:29 am
Jace-BeOS wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:All the nihilists live at KVR, the girls visit GS.
I would also like to know what this is supposed to mean... If it's a knock against the GS forum for being "inferior", then find another way to say it. Better yet, don't say it at all, because some of us enjoy going to both forums.
I'm pretty sure he meant the crowd at GS is more polite, and women can stand to be there. Possibly is not up to speed on 'girls' as a derogatory term.
I'm an actual girl, and I find GS even more of a boy's club in tone than here. Politeness, don't notice it as a feature in either. GS to me is dead boring. Here people go way off-topic and for me it's about the entertainment and personalities. I think the latter if anything is is a 'girl' trait.

how is girls derogatory now?
if someone is female it seems appropriate.

It's done since birth to ridicule a male child for certain things 'you're a girl!' In most if not all societies on earth.
So, unsurprising to see 'it's the girls go to GS' taken as such. I took it as probably absurdism.

jancivil wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:07 pm It's done since birth to ridicule a male child for certain things 'you're a girl!' In most if not all societies on earth.
So, unsurprising to see 'it's the girls go to GS' taken as such. I took it as probably absurdism.
ah yeah in that sense i guess.
i just took it as theres more obviously female members there, not that i know, only visited a few times. not my kind of people.
by which i mean it is a little more "conservative with a small c" than i can deal with or indeed can deal with me.

I started looking at it around when I started lurking here, when I started with a computer DAW. Which is more recent than many.
I wouldn't know, as social media it doesn't happen. But I looked at it as Knowledge Base material. If it's that they're professional musicians largely, that doesn't enter into it, they could be ignorant of what I need to know, which is not hardware-oriented, I mean if that's it.

There was no xoxos, no John Vulich, and for that matter no vurt there.

But Simon already said the remark doesn't mean anything at all.

my querie was more about asksol, "not up to speed on girls being a derogatory term"
with no context, was worried id missed another meeting :hihi:

as an aside, up until early 20th century (possibly late 19th) girls where any young child.
boy was used for a young servant.

A lot of knowledgeable posters on GS, including about pure synthesis matters, while threads are more focused, and, for most part, stay focused. Much less invading posters with logorrhoea syndrom on GS. Also GS forums are more actively moderated, that makes a difference in the end.
As much as I like KVR forums, I think that the overall knowledge/quality level has slowly decreased over years.

Then, the main difference is/remains that GS is mostly harware oriented, and Kvr mostly software oriented.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”