Why are responses on KVR and GearSlutz are so different?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Harry_HH wrote:
incubus wrote:Oh, and another difference ....

Even though heart warming comedy is not appreciated here, it's absolutely inexcusable over there :hihi:
Depends what you happen to consider as a "heart warming comedy" - in many cases the comedy warms just the writers heart. And, you only need to glance the Kvr "latest posts" any time, you find that quite big share of those are comedy or feature -based threads.

Not that there's anything wrong with a warm, good sense of humor, on the contrary, if there was any.

E.g. many may find the following just stupid, some may get irritated, some may even smile:

I don't believe in the incarnation, but if I did, I realize that Jimi Hendrix liked women so much that he became one: fix first your nales and boobs, then start a lick...

https://youtu.be/ed_w6Ysprps
Heart warming was a joke.

Harry_HH wrote:I don't believe in the incarnation, but if I did, I realize that Jimi Hendrix liked women so much that he became one: fix first your nales and boobs, then start a lick...
What are you on about :? Could it be psilocybin season in Finland ?

Numanoid wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:I don't believe in the incarnation, but if I did, I realize that Jimi Hendrix liked women so much that he became one: fix first your nales and boobs, then start a lick...
No, its already over, we have already frost.
No use to visit here at this season. :hihi:

zerocrossing wrote:The cool kids hang out at GearSlutz. The nerds on KVR.
Wait. I thought it was cool to be a nerd now. Pop culture is so confusing.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

.jon wrote:I sometimes land on GS in search of user opinions on plugins or gear, and every time leave after realising how full of shit most of the posters there are.

KVR isn't what it used to be either, the excitement about the plugin revolution and making music on a shoestring budget has waned off, and the enthusiastic community vibe is but a pale shadow of what it was 10 EDIT goddamn it's 14 years already :D ago.
Well, the revolution happened. It's hard to remain excited about something a long time after it has happened.

I think shoestring budget is no longer the reason for people to move to all software production tools. I mean, it's not necessarily less expensive to do it. Software production tools took over and became the same big business as the hardware had been. Hardware makers even got into it as a last ditch effort to keep up with the times (hi Roland). Then everyone started realizing that they were missing the act of twiddling knobs, and the "software is good enough or better than hardware" movement deflated somewhat (and software companies like Arturia got upset at piracy and started making hardware products). Now we have resurrected retro hardware (as new hardware) to accompany the obsession with retro hardware (as "formerly unwanted analog garbage that now costs more than most people spend on cars").

A shoestring budget now is a laptop, a Korg Nano controller (or an M-Audio Oxygen 25), a set of speakers, and SynthEdit freeware plugins running on Reaper. Once you do so much with that lineup, the excitement does tend to wane as you learn more about production and music. It's inevitable that people will want to move on to new and different tools.

I think there will come a point where the only difference in tech between KVR and GearSlutz will be cultural origins, not any actual practical difference. The tendency for more working studio people to be over there vs over here is likely also going to level out between both sites since the economy and the market sucks for artists and musicians (a declining civilization generally sees suffering in the arts). I don't know what it's like outside the USA, but it seems the only people making a living off of music are live performers, and I suspect they make much less than in the past. Music has been so devalued and democratized that there's no demand and way too much supply.

I don't even know what I'm talking about now. I'm probably too bitter about life to be posting sensible commentary today.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

incubus wrote:I'm qualified, it sucks.

:hihi:

And being lactose intolerant is NO EXCUSE. (and to be an even bigger douche, I had pizza for lunch :hyper: )
I am lactose intolerant, but that's not why I stopped consuming dairy. I don't mind other people enjoying their pizza. I had a nice cheeseless pizza today. Amy's roasted vegetable pizza. Tastes great, but their marketing is lying about the size of the vegetables on it.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Awesome dude. I hope you understand it was one of my "heart felt" humor attempts with absolutely no malice.

incubus wrote:Awesome dude. I hope you understand it was one of my "heart felt" humor attempts with absolutely no malice.
Yup :-) I've no problem with you at all :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

That's gotta be a first :hihi:

incubus wrote:That's gotta be a first :hihi:
:hihi:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

VagifAbilov wrote:I was reading mostly disappointed responses on Spectrasonics Keyscape announcement, and somebody mentioned that frequent visitors of GearSlutz forum are better target for the product than KVR members. I checked GearSlutz, and yes, people there are full of enthusiasm about Keyscape. But what's so different between these two places? I am not a professional musician, neither a frequence visitor to any of them, but I had impression that both sites are about similar things. Are they not?

$$$ Money, the folks at gearslutz overall aren't afraid to spend some money - hence the word (gearslutz),plus like others have said, there's a larger gap in age for the most part. You'll notice here at Kvr, a plugin will come out, that costs $99, and there will be alot of people who down it, bitch about etc. simply because they want it for the virtual price = free.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Let's hold up a tad here, before we go all "ancient aliens" ....

There is probably some truth to that, but it's not a sweeping truth. Sure, there are people over there that spend Dr. Evil money, but there are here too. There is all kinds of nonsense there as well (anyone ever go to moan zone or gear-free? ) and both have trolls just like every forum.

The one thing that is different is that there are more honest-to-goodness world-famous people over there these days.

The most difficult thing at GS right now are the moderators. There are WAY too many of them, and some are obviously this guy:

Here, we have like..... 3. I know at least two of them are older than me ;)

Wow, maybe I should sign up for a GS account so I can talk to honest-to-goodness world-famous people!

Nah.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Ok, but dude, seriously. They have several (but not as many as before) real-world producers, engineers, and such. No matter how someone wants to troll me, it doesn't change the fact.

Are there some here? Well, I'm sure there are. But it's mostly really bratty kids and bitter old men (me! :lol: )

So, please, only shoot the messenger if the information is false.

I'm actually kind of curious about the staff thing, after all this time here I still don't know who any of the staff are and have never seen any moderator tag or moderator posts. Though a time or two I've seen stuff moved from off topic to the hyde park corner.
Numanoid wrote:
Whatever it is, it must be good.
Jace-BeOS wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:The cool kids hang out at GearSlutz. The nerds on KVR.
Wait. I thought it was cool to be a nerd now. Pop culture is so confusing.
It's actually cool to be geeky. Nerds were never cool (kind of).

Geek = more pop culture
nerd = more academic
.jon wrote:KVR isn't what it used to be either, the excitement about the plugin revolution and making music on a shoestring budget has waned off, and the enthusiastic community vibe is but a pale shadow of what it was 10 EDIT goddamn it's 14 years already :D ago.
What caused it to change?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”