Why are responses on KVR and GearSlutz are so different?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was reading mostly disappointed responses on Spectrasonics Keyscape announcement, and somebody mentioned that frequent visitors of GearSlutz forum are better target for the product than KVR members. I checked GearSlutz, and yes, people there are full of enthusiasm about Keyscape. But what's so different between these two places? I am not a professional musician, neither a frequence visitor to any of them, but I had impression that both sites are about similar things. Are they not?

All the nihilists live at KVR, the girls visit GS.

/* pinknoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote:I'm active on both forums for years and KVR and GearSlutz are really different. I think because a lot of GearSlutz members uses more often mechanical acoustic instruments and and not as much in EDM and stuff like here on KVR. Plus I think the average age is higher and the most users are coming from hardware ages. Just my 2c
I still laugh when I recall Ott calling them w*nkers who constantly argue about the sound of preamps.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

To me, GearSlutz and V.I.Control (witch are also pretty different from one to the other), are more toward "working musicians" sort of.
I mean, get the job done, most hassle free as possible.
Sort of luxury kind of work space, so to speak.
Luxury for me is definitely more about having the time to : let's get lost and fiddle a max with all those weird plugs.
But that just me.
Prefer KVR.

GS has more professionals and semi-professionals, people who are actually involved in the process of producing music (producers, engineers, session players...), instead of just debating about it.

A product like Spectrasonics Keyscape is really useful for this pro / semi-pro crowd, since it gives one access to most of the piano/keys sounds that are sought after in the making of popular music.

For the typical KVR user, who rather discusses slight differences in oscillator behaviour between virtual analog synth x and synth y or which bus compressor plugin to buy to complement the 10 bus compressor plugins he already owns, such a product is not really exciting enough.

Izak Synthiemental wrote:GS has more professionals and semi-professionals, people who are actually involved in the process of producing music (producers, engineers, session players...), instead of just debating about it.
You can do both.

This thread just convinced me that I should spend more time posting on GearSlutz instead :lol:

It's okay, I still love you KVR
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

nordickvr wrote:
Izak Synthiemental wrote:GS has more professionals and semi-professionals, people who are actually involved in the process of producing music (producers, engineers, session players...), instead of just debating about it.
You can do both.
Not at the same time. :wink:

Aryaroman wrote:
nordickvr wrote:
You can do both.
Not at the same time. :wink:
V'got a point.

I also thought the difference between the general opinion towards 'Keyscape' on both forums was interesting. I think the reaction to 'Keyscape' on GS shows a more objective, context oriented way at looking at Spectrasonics new product, looking at it for what it is and not what it it isn't. Here on KVR there's a lot of subjective opinion branded as objectivity and although I wouldn't personally call it nihilism the discussions do sometimes descend into some angry defensive arguments that reflect the difference between the two forums. I read so may disparaging comments here on KVR towards 'Keyscape' that I wasn't going to bother even listening to it, then I went onto Gearslutz and read the positive comments and saw the promo video and was very impressed. No it's not the most innovative concept but it sounds amazing in the hands of those players. They have definitely upped the standard of bread and butter key sounds and added a little bit more IMO.

Hi! Maybe I can answer you as an example of an average kvr user.

First of all... Spectrasonics at all is not on my radar. Every now and then I heard about the wonders of Ominisphere, but it's way out of my $$. But strangely, I have Komplete, mainly cause I'm able to buying it on steps: build a cheaper product, upgrading, crossgrading.

I'm a gigging musician, play at some bands here on my city (covers and some authorals), sometimes I records keyboards, and reading the list of instruments covered on Keyscape, I classify them that way:
- I already own some replacement to them (Grand Piano, Upright, Rhodes, Wurlitzer)
- I slightly want some them, but they're not really needed on my normal workflow (CP-70 or Rhodes Piano Bass. I like this sound, but never really needed it)
- Too esoteric to me.

So, for all my current keyboard sounds needs, I've all that I need by now.

kelvyn wrote:They have definitely upped the standard of bread and butter key sounds and added a little bit more IMO.
Agree with that.
I'd add, "bread and butter" plus some extras regarding rare keys plus Omni integration.

A_SN wrote:This thread just convinced me that I should spend more time posting on GearSlutz instead :lol:

It's okay, I still love you KVR
Same here :) Although I visit GS occasionally to read stuff, I don't have an account, yet. Maybe I should finally get one...

It seems to me that it is more of an American board, whereas KVR is full of Europeans. And I think that is reflected in the music people make.

A product like Spectrasonics Keyscape is really useful for this pro / semi-pro crowd, since it gives one access to most of the piano/keys sounds that are sought after in the making of popular music.

For the typical KVR user, who rather discusses slight differences in oscillator behaviour between virtual analog synth x and synth y or which bus compressor plugin to buy to complement the 10 bus compressor plugins he already owns, such a product is not really exciting enough.
Has nothing to do with professionals and semi-professionals I think more with the genre and part of the industries you are working in. I know professionals who never would play a software piano and I know hobby guitarist which only buying expensive hadrware
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”