drag n drop not working (win7)

Official support for: energy-xt.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

happy new year everyone,
i just copied files to my new win7 pc, drag n drop not working on xt1.4 and xt3, i can load songs ok and load vst from the internal browser ok.
thought it could be 'ownership' or 'permissions' related, so i'm taking ownership of everything i can see, but permissions seem to revert back to the default each time.
is it even that?
what else could be stopping the drag and drop?
help appreciated.
cheers.

spacedad wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:28 pm happy new year everyone,
i just copied files to my new win7 pc, drag n drop not working on xt1.4 and xt3, i can load songs ok and load vst from the internal browser ok.
thought it could be 'ownership' or 'permissions' related, so i'm taking ownership of everything i can see, but permissions seem to revert back to the default each time.
is it even that?
what else could be stopping the drag and drop?
help appreciated.
cheers.
Good to see that people are still using these two great DAWs. I still use XT 3 all the time even though I have Cubase 10 Pro - Studio One 4 and Waveforn 10. Nothing comes close to its startup speed and simplicity. :)

Anyway, back to the question.

I do not have win 7 installed but can confirm that in win 10 drag and drop is working fine for both 1.36 and XT3 on my machine. Maybe you will have to delete your default or ini file to see if it works with new ones which will be created at next startup.

it's sorted now, thanks.
xt1 + xt3 make the perfect team for me.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

thanks for the knowledge. i tried renaming drives with the samples on but xt still can't find them, last time i changed machines that trick worked, but not this time. so i'm having to search for samples individually. i've a lot to test, so your tip about using a text editor may well be needed! thanks. oh, and my temp fix was to turn off the uac.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ok, will do, thanks a lot. :)

further testing:
since i pointed a few songs/samples towards my new E Drive, other songs seem to be going straight there now. does that seem right?
though a few very old ones with samples that have been moved to a different folder structure need to be shown the way, so instead, i tried to alter the sample's addresses in notepad++. i carefully typed in the new addresses then saved it as song.xt but it won't open at all now. is there something else i need to change too?

Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codec_spurt wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:59 am Another thing spacedad, no you can not alter those files in a text editor, they are binary executable files so if you mess about or change anything at all in a text editor they will not work.

You need to use a hex editor or whatnot to do that. Unless you are a cracker, you won't be able to do it. Even crackers wouldn't bother. It's an easy mistake to make.
I've tried a few times to fix corrupt project files with a hexeditor and even succeeded once. So it's theroretically possible, but only to be used as an absolute last resort.

ah, i see. sorry i misunderstood. i did make a new 'E' drive and most songs seem to be loading ok. a few were made a long time back when my samples were on 'C' or 'D' drive, so i'll just find them and it should be good. i get 'chunk' errors sometimes, which could be a vst thing, maybe i need to find some older versions of the plugins, that's happened before. i only use freeware/payware so i should be ok finding them. i'm getting there. much thanks for all your help guys.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “energyXT”