Is this software dead?

Official support for: energy-xt.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I still use version 1.4 to this day.
Of course it is incomplete, but it's the glue to my computer setup.

I use a lot of 3rd party stuff (including some of my own code) to keep it up to date.

Can do
- multicore / core load balancing
- 32bit/64bit plugins
- VST2/VST3
- Advanced midi processing & programming

I've got entire "schematics" of this stuff, templates, etc.
There's no point in porting all this to a new DAW.

Yes, it is dead and has been for a long time.

Some people still use it.

Does version 1.3 support 64bit plugins? Version 3 does not.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

NO!

XT is not dead!

It is merely resting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

"Norwegian Blue".

'nuff said.

Jorgen is pining for the fjords.

jackoo wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:39 pm I still use version 1.4 to this day.

I use a lot of 3rd party stuff (including some of my own code) to keep it up to date.

Can do
- 32bit/64bit plugins
- VST2/VST3

I would be very interested to know what you use. :)

PM'ed

Not much more than Windows 3.1

satchnut wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:31 pm
jackoo wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:39 pm I still use version 1.4 to this day.

Can do
- 32bit/64bit plugins
- VST2/VST3

I would be very interested to know what you use. :)
Do you think you could post any of your energyXT life extension tips here?

XT made it easy to route stuff in ways you would never come up with any other place. Always my favorite, and I was just talking to someone else that said the same thing.

Wasn't there even ways to add controls and skin an entire effects chain? Pretty cool stuff, still ahead of it's time.

For me there is no other DAW where I can make setups like this 8)
Linking my 2 keyboards and foot pedal together.
- Turning on and off the drums using my foot expression pedal (I can play an intro and then start the whole "Jam Track" program in sync)
- Adding strings according to active chord on the fly
- Changing main voice with my FCB1010 foot controller or keyboard slider via midi CC
- Changing the rhythm of the electric guitars in the programmed "Jam track" with the foot controller
- Changing secondary voice on the second keyboard by pushing some buttons on it
- Attaching the transport controls (record, play) to the sequencer
- Converting Aftertouch to Pitch Bend modulation in order to control generate Vibratto with AT (on the fly).
- Controlling the chords of the "Jam Track" (bass and electric guitars) on the fly with my left hand
- Recording the whole "live take" in one track in the sequencer. After that I can "export" the thing multi-track to a DAW like Reaper for further processing, mixing automation, mastering, etc..

It's for experimenting live...
For a dream that most likely will never come true... being as "direct" as Vangelis...

So certainly not dead to me :)

PS: jBridge & Element :love:
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

jackoo - do I understand you are running VST3 plugs inside eXT? How?

SWTrex
"Sometimes I think of Abraham...
How one star he saw had been lit for me"

SWTrex wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:50 am jackoo - do I understand you are running VST3 plugs inside eXT? How?

SWTrex
You didn't read my last line :D

I use jBridge to bridge eXT1 to another process (exe) which hosts Element (typ. the 64bit version of Element).

Element is free and modular as well as eXT. It can host other plugins. Fits perfectly with the eXT thinking paradigm.
It can load x64 vst2 and vst3 as well.
I normally bridge only Element, and not all the individual plugins.

I bought jBridge a long time ago, and it was one of my best investments, looking back (for my workflow). I remember it was quite affordable as well.
I suggest to keep Element's GUI in a separate window (so check the appropriate check box in jBridge).

Also another important option is "Performance mode". When this is off, there is zero latency added to the main audio thread, but CPU usage (incl. realtime CPU usage) is a tiny bit increased (not by a lot) compared to a non-bridged plugin, due to inter-process communication. This is "single core" operation.

If "Performance mode" is on, there is an additional buffer inserted between the 2 exe processes, so there is enough time to sync the threads. This is very handy. While the added latency is barely noticeable (for my 256 asio buffer, unless I need to play very very fast stuff - probably totally unnoticeable if you use 128 samples) this completely takes Element outside the main audio thread, processing it on another core. So you get zero additional load to your realtime CPU usage, while loading other cores.

This how to do multicore balancing. The good stuff is that you are in control. You can control which hungry plugins (in groups or not) get to run on a separate core together. All the plugins loaded in an Element instance are using another core, if "Performance mode" is on. And then another instance of Element runs on another core, etc. Also, if you keep your effects (EQ and such) in the same Element session, this means they will run on the same core as the main plugin (so no extra switching between threads). You can very efficiently group instruments and effects per core.

Multicore performance is essentially the art of grouping together stuff that can be run completely in parallel, independently of other stuff. And this way, you get to control exactly that.

Another app that is said to bridge vst3 is DDMF Metaplugin, but I haven't tried it. This might also be an option, because you only need one tool. It is both a host (modular as Element) and includes a built-in bridger (32-64bit, or vice versa, or vst3 to vst2).

jackoo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:18 am Another app that is said to bridge vst3 is DDMF Metaplugin, but I haven't tried it. This might also be an option, because you only need one tool. It is both a host (modular as Element) and includes a built-in bridger (32-64bit, or vice versa, or vst3 to vst2).
IIRC, I tried this before and couldn’t get Metaplugin to bridge 32-/64-bit — otherwise I would have bought it by now. :P

Thanks, jackoo, for your detailed explanation. I did read your last line, but maybe worded my question badly.

I purchased and use jBridge, but I have not heard of Element. I searched for it in the KVR database but "element" is such a common word, that I got lost in all of the returns from the search. Do you have a link to where I can find out more?

Thanks,
SWTrex
"Sometimes I think of Abraham...
How one star he saw had been lit for me"

SWTrex wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:08 pm I have not heard of Element. I searched for it in the KVR database but "element" is such a common word, that I got lost in all of the returns from the search. Do you have a link to where I can find out more?
I would recommend going here for the downloads:
https://github.com/kushview/Element/releases/tag/0.41.1

This is the free version, but really good enough.
Newer versions are there, but you have to be a patron, I think.

More information about Element:
https://github.com/kushview/Element

For a video introduction I would suggest the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SkmlHtkukc

PS: also in KVR database :)
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/element-by-kushview
Last edited by jackoo on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

satchnut wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:29 pm
jackoo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:18 am Another app that is said to bridge vst3 is DDMF Metaplugin, but I haven't tried it. This might also be an option, because you only need one tool. It is both a host (modular as Element) and includes a built-in bridger (32-64bit, or vice versa, or vst3 to vst2).
IIRC, I tried this before and couldn’t get Metaplugin to bridge 32-/64-bit — otherwise I would have bought it by now. :P
Sorry to hear it doesn't work :(
As far as I read on their webpage they added the possibility to run 64bit plugins in 32bit hosts relatively recently. In the beginning it was only allowing 32bit plugins in 64bit hosts. How long ago did you make the test? Maybe it has improved :)

Return to “energyXT”