VST3 plugin not found by Cubase

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've created a small VST3 plugin for my own use with the SDK V.3.6.13. It is compiled into a .vst3 folder, containing the actual .vst3 file and resources. When I copy the .vst3 file in the VST3 folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3), everythings fine and Cubase can find it. But when I place the compiled .vst3 folder there, Cubase cannot find the plugin anymore. How do you use your own plugins with your host applications? Could this be a Cubase Pro 8.5 issue (the version I use)?

At first I assumed you were on Mac because plugins on Mac are "components" with folders - but the path you show here indicates Windows. On Windows, VST3 plugins are files, not folders. Everything needed for a Windows VST3 plugin (graphics, DSP code,etc.) is compiled into that one .vst3 file.

This is one of the things I do not like about Mac plugins. All of your graphics files are revealed separately in the plugin component folders. I don't understand the rationale for that but it seems a way for hackers hack your plugin - or at least "borrow" your graphics, IMO.

So the generated "Resources" folder with all the GUI graphics was never intended to be used by the Windows .vst3 plugins?

Benergy wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:59 am So the generated "Resources" folder with all the GUI graphics was never intended to be used by the Windows .vst3 plugins?
The generated folder was likely required by your compiler during the build process. Otherwise, no - it’s only needed for Mac. Those resources are “baked in” in Windows vst files.

Try your .vst3 file on another PC if you want to verify. If you don’t have another way to test it send me a PM with the file and I will try it for you.👍

Today I did some testing, moving files and folders, restarting Cubase, re-scanning plugins.. so here's the conclusion:

1) Windows vst3 files do not have resources baked in. They need to be in a folder with the relative path "../Resources" (relative to the vst3 file).
2) Cubase 8.5 doesn't find vst3 files when they are in subfolders. (At least not reliable. In very rare cases I could make it work, but I don't know how.) A possible plug-in folder structure and work-around I use now is (using the helloworldWithVSTGUI example):

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
	- helloworldWithVSTGUI
		- Resources
			* [all resources]
		- x86_64-win
			* helloworldWithVSTGUI.vst3
	* helloworldWithVSTGUI.vst3 (a shortcut/link to the actual vst3 file)
This way I can just copy paste from the build folder to the helloworldWithVSTGUI folder and each plug-in has it's own resource folder.

Benergy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:19 am 1) Windows vst3 files do not have resources baked in. They need to be in a folder with the relative path "../Resources" (relative to the vst3 file).
What kind of "resources" are you talking about? Do you mean GUI elements like the plugin's background image, knobs, meters, etc. - or do you have ancillary files like IR samples, presets and stuff like that?

All the basic elements required for a vst/vst3 plugin to run are part of the .vst/.vst3 file. There is no separate "resources" folder. If you need to create one in order for your plugin to work it means something is not set up right in your compiler settings.

Fender19 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:23 pm What kind of "resources" are you talking about? Do you mean GUI elements like the plugin's background image, knobs, meters, etc. - or do you have ancillary files like IR samples, presets and stuff like that?
The resources folder contains images/textures of GUI elements, no additional files like samples or presets. And without this folder, the the host doesn't show any plugin GUI.
Fender19 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:23 pm All the basic elements required for a vst/vst3 plugin to run are part of the .vst/.vst3 file. There is no separate "resources" folder. If you need to create one in order for your plugin to work it means something is not set up right in your compiler settings.
I havn't changed the compiler settings and just used the 'out-of-the-box' solution file CMake created.

And the docs confirm this folder structure and say that the 'old' way of putting everything into one dll/vst3 file is deprecated since VST version 3.6.10.

Benergy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:55 am And the docs confirm this folder structure and say that the 'old' way of putting everything into one dll/vst3 file is deprecated since VST version 3.6.10.
This is news to me. I have a couple hundred VST and VST3 plugins on my system - including very recent ones - and none of them are "folders". Some of them INSTALL folders that contain presets, manuals, etc., but the plugin itself is one .vst3 file.

I really don't understand what Steinberg is saying here. How can you put a .vst3 "file extension" on a folder? Folders in Windows don't have file extensions because they are folders! Makes no sense to me.

Have you tried putting a .vst3 extension on a folder? It does work, but I don't understand why you'd need it. Before now I've put all the resources in a folder name 'PlugName' and put the vst file in that folder, because hosts search sub-folders.
Now, I use Juce, which puts all my resources in a header file, so it is compiled into the plug-in itself.

(I wish I could afford hundreds of plug-ins)

quikquak wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:57 pm Have you tried putting a .vst3 extension on a folder? It does work, but I don't understand why you'd need it. Before now I've put all the resources in a folder name 'PlugName' and put the vst file in that folder, because hosts search sub-folders.
Now, I use Juce, which puts all my resources in a header file, so it is compiled into the plug-in itself.

(I wish I could afford hundreds of plug-ins)
So you started with folders but now have it all consolidated into the .vst3 file itself? That’s what I’m saying - I don’t know of any plugins on Windows that use plugin.vst3 folders.

(The studio is my primary job and I work with multiple DAWs. I also have a lot of freeware plugs and “NFR”s from other developers I have worked with. I couldn’t afford them all otherwise either!)

Fender19 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:10 pm I have a couple hundred VST and VST3 plugins on my system - including very recent ones - and none of them are "folders".
Perhaps noone's using the SDK by itself, but only multi-platform libraries like the mentioned JUCE or other. I only work on Windows/Cubase and created the plugin for my own use, not for publishing, so this was never an issue for me.

Benergy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:07 pm Perhaps noone's using the SDK by itself, but only multi-platform libraries like the mentioned JUCE or other. I only work on Windows/Cubase and created the plugin for my own use, not for publishing, so this was never an issue for me.
You said in your very first post here, "When I copy the .vst3 file in the VST3 folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3), everythings fine and Cubase can find it."

If the vst3 works all by itself - and Cubase loads and runs it - and you're only using it yourself - why fuss about folders? Don't make it harder than it needs to be! :tu:

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”