Plugins and the "App Store"

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:48 pm
Fender19 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:08 pm Most developers selling directly to the public offer trial versions of their plugins and DAWs - the App Store does not. So I am wondering about the consequences of Apple eventually controlling the distribution of all Mac software.
If that day comes, then the platform will be officially dead...
For the developers or for the users?

Just image that Apple introduces a Netflix like service for MacOS apps: Pay 29$ a month and you can use any app from the app store as long as you like and on all of your devices. No restrictions at all.

Apple takes a fixed percentage of the money and the developers get paid by the amount of time the user spends with each app (or something like that).

This might be good thing for the end user as he can get high quality apps and a lot of content for a small amount of money. This also means that they will only choose the best apps in each category and the developers will have to fight very hard to reach the top and stay there.

Sounds like Apple to me.

It would kill both, no devs no users...
And it would make MacOS extremely unsafe again. The first duty of any hacker would be to free it again, and they will do. The core of the os is open source btw...
Instead:
Devs and users will switch to Linux. A yet unknown startup will create a user friendly distribution and sell readily configured hardware for certain user groups. Microsoft will loose a big part of their customers to that company, because they just pay for a service, not for the software. One of these user groups will be music producers, they get blazingly fast 32-core AMD machines with preconfigured collection of plugins as the devs have no problem to compile for Linux thanks to Soul and Juce. Funnily, the users can install via an app store, but as that is not obligatory and does not rip off the devs (as Apple does!) most people are going to use it anyway. The app store easily deals with all the protection devs need as well as with demo or time limited versions. Most apps have free player versions which allow to play back your creation any time without paying a fee...

We should concentrate on positive visions, that would make it more likely that it happens...!

Benutzername wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:39 pm
fmr wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:48 pm
Fender19 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:08 pm Most developers selling directly to the public offer trial versions of their plugins and DAWs - the App Store does not. So I am wondering about the consequences of Apple eventually controlling the distribution of all Mac software.
If that day comes, then the platform will be officially dead...
For the developers or for the users?

Just image that Apple introduces a Netflix like service for MacOS apps: Pay 29$ a month and you can use any app from the app store as long as you like and on all of your devices. No restrictions at all.

Apple takes a fixed percentage of the money and the developers get paid by the amount of time the user spends with each app (or something like that).

This might be good thing for the end user as he can get high quality apps and a lot of content for a small amount of money. This also means that they will only choose the best apps in each category and the developers will have to fight very hard to reach the top and stay there.

Sounds like Apple to me.
:lol:

Just imagine you are a developer (or a company like Steinberg). Would you enter in a scheme (or should I say SCAM?) like that? You clearly don't a have a clue. :roll:

Adobe already has a subscriber service. Do you think they will give it to Apple? :nutter:

Avid already has a subscriber service. Do you think they will give it to Apple? :nutter:

Waves already has a subscriber service. Do you think they will give it to Apple? :nutter:

etc....

In the end, developers will get hurt, will abandon the platform, users get hurt by the lack of real apps, abandon the platform, and... KABOOM.
Last edited by fmr on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Benutzername wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:39 pm Apple takes a fixed percentage of the money and the developers get paid by the amount of time the user spends with each app (or something like that).
Did you think about what that means for a user? Complete observation!
As a politician I would ban that as a crime against privacy... And it would be.
You know why I would never sign for any of these streaming (spying) services. Neither the consumer nor the creator is benefitting from it...!
Cancel all now!!!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”