VST2 fx responding to MIDI input

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I agree! Thank you and more than happy to have you helping us out if that is something you want!

Yeah would love some developer help and would be more than happy to have you in the code! Let us know if you get stuck or we can help. The README is pretty up to date.

Thanks. I'll check it and see if I can help.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Trying to build for the first time. Not very familiar with GIT. A question here. What does this phrase in the README means:

"If you had the VST2.4SDK folder specified prior to running premake5, you will have surge-vst2.vcxproj and surge-vst3.vcxproj in your Surge folder."

Essentially, how do I "Specify" ?
www.solostuff.net

You need to set the environment var “VST2SDK_DIR” to the path of your VST2 SDK before you run the premake stage. On windows you do that with “set VST2SDK_DIR=c:\users\whatever”

Thanks. So after a few more hiccups a managed to build it in VS 2017. But now when I try to debug/run it (using cantabile as a host). Surge it self shows errors like cannot find configuration.xml in C:User....\surge path. And couple more errors like that where it can't find files. Then it actually run and produces sound!!.

I found the files in \resources\ . I tried changing the working directory in VS but then some dll wont load and surge wont even start at that point. didn't have time to look further. But I'll do latter. Let me know if you know something about this.
www.solostuff.net

Yeah surge looks for those in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Surge so you need to (one time) copy resources\data to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Surge or you need to build and run the installer. (The former is way easier of course)

If you look in scripts\win\build-win.ps1 there's a powershell script which does it. Here are the relevant lines. I'm sure there's some other robocopy equivalent, but really if you aren't changing the graphics or the patches you can do this once and then forget about it.

Remove-Item "$($env:LOCALAPPDATA)\Surge" -Recurse -Force
Copy-Item "resources\data\" -Destination "$($env:LOCALAPPDATA)\Surge" -Recurse -Force

Thanks. So I was able to debug surge. To my surprise MIDI input actually worked!! in the fx. I haven't done any changes to the code at all. The only thing I recall doing is changing the Windows SDK version from 8.1 to 10. 8.1 wasn't working for some reason although I know I have it. I tested in both FLstudio and Reaper. Both worked. Here is the dll:

https://github.com/ammar-mu/surge/blob/ ... x86_fx.dll

I have a feeling the problem is VST 2 version related. But I'm not sure of-course. The one I'm using is from 2013 which comes as part of VST3. labeled vstsdk360_22_11_2013_build_100
www.solostuff.net

Wow OK that’s super useful information. I didn’t set up our build pipeline so I don’t actually know what VST2 SDK version our release uses (!!). I’ll try and find out. Thank you.

Oh and @EvilDragon - can you try that DLL and see if it works for you?

It does work over here. Audio inputs received over in 1/2, and also MIDI input working just fine!

Thank you for your effort and time, S0lo - much appreciated! :)

No problem :).

I'm getting more interested as I'm trying the synth and checking the code. I always thought that surge was awesome. I actually have a license since vember days. Looking at the code now, I appreciate the amount of huge effort that has been put here. How multiple platforms was targeted and the very low CPU usage. Still looking, and trying to think where I may help.
www.solostuff.net

Feel free to join the Surge Slack channel!

Discussions abound!

Here is the 64bit version just in case someone needs it.

https://github.com/ammar-mu/surge/blob/ ... rge_fx.dll
www.solostuff.net

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”