How to include boost headers in Xcode 11?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I have an old Xcode project containing valuable prototype audio code, where i use the boost library a lot. Since the boost headers are over 100MB in size, i've had them somewhere on my filesystem, and simply included them in an Xcode project by a header search path. Well this doesn't work anymore and neither does any other way i've tried to accomplish this fairly simple configuration.

How on earth can one make Xcode see headers outside of the project tree nowadays?

[EDIT] Figured out how to do it using the deprecated Always Search User Paths option. Anyone know how stuff like this is done with current options?

What about "USER_HEADER_SEARCH_PATHS" or "HEADER_SEARCH_PATHS"?

Yes, i had the path in HEADER_SEARCH_PATHS and tried also the USER_HEADER_SEARCH_PATHS and ran "Clean Build Folder", but the headers were just not found until i started trial/erroring with the deprecated setting. It works now even after i restore the default "No" setting to the ALWAYS_SEARCH_USER_PATHS. It was some kind of an Xcode glitch. This is an old project and the project files were from an older version of Xcode. A lot of stuff needed Xcode compatibility tweaks. Go figure. Thanks anyway Vokbuz!

You're just supposed to #include them now in your project, using "boost.h" rather than <boost.h>. You should just be able to add the path to the Header Paths list.

Shocking that there's a glitch in Xcode!
Me: Clean and compile!
Xcode: Done! Oh, wait you have two errors. Nope. I was wrong, it's okay. Dang it! There really are two errors!
Five minutes later:
Nope. False alarm. Compilation complete!

One trick I learned: if Xcode ever asks to update your project for the newer version of Xcode, firmly say NO! and hit it with a rolled up newspaper. It will screw up your project completely.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Hilarious :lol: I'm with you there!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”