Mac OS permissions - how and where to write plugin support files?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems everything I try to do on Mojave requires me to enter my user password - creating a folder, file, etc.

So how do plugin installers manage to create folders and files when there is so much OS restriction?

For example a simple license file - where can you save it and how do get “permission” to save it there?

Code: Select all

/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/<your_app>
doesn't need special permissions.

lorcan wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Code: Select all

/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/<your_app>
doesn't need special permissions.
Thank you - will give that a try. 👍

I’ve got weird permissions stuff (I think..) going on with Arturia products. The ASC software just will not download and install anything, I get “download error” but for some reason will download and install Mellotron but everything else fails...

Anyone else had this issue?

If it's stuff the user never really needs to get at, saving to the Resource folder in the plugin bundle works.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:35 am If it's stuff the user never really needs to get at, saving to the Resource folder in the plugin bundle works.
👍

syntonica wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:35 am If it's stuff the user never really needs to get at, saving to the Resource folder in the plugin bundle works.
Don't you run into the risk that updates overwrite/erase that?

Urs wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:35 pm
Don't you run into the risk that updates overwrite/erase that?
Oh, absolutely. I currently keep all my patch data there, as well as globals. It's not the end of the world for me to make my end-users manually copy stuff out to rescue it before manually upgrading. Many plugin makers do that anyway with patches living in a dozen or so other locations.

I'm waiting for the post-Catalina shakeup to finally complete with iOS/macOS singularity convergence. There's just too much fuzziness in the "middleware" area right now. What I'd love to see is /Library go away. We can have just System space and Users space. All applications and support go into /Users/Shared or ~ and all OS related (drivers) go into /System.

Once that's done, there should be only two locations instead of /Library or /Library/Application Support or /Library/Audio... Or the local ~ versions of those, or ~/Documents... Or /Users/Shared... It's a real mess and for now, I'm keeping my data close until these boundaries become more clearly defined before finding a more suitable location.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”