What is positive phase shift in filters?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JCJR wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 pm In fact, in my ignorance this caused a woeful misunderstanding only resolved a few years ago. I had read about processes claiming to "un-do" the time-delay of previous layers of phase shifting, and I couldn't understand how one could possibly un-do several additive layers of "negative slope" phase shift curves, if the only stable causal tools available also have the same direction "negative slope" phase shift curves.

Until someone kindly pointed out that filters such as shelving and peaking filters have "positive bump" or "negative bump" phase shift curves, not the continuous negative slope curve. So it was indeed possible to un-do some kinds of "positive bump" phase curves with complementary "negative bump" phase curves, and vice-versa. Doh! The light finally shines, however feebly. :)
If and only if the original filter is (strictly) minimum-phase, you can cancel out the response (both magnitude and phase) simply using an inverse filter obtained by swapping the poles and zeroes. This is usually the case for peaking and shelving filters.

This doesn't work for LP/BP/HP because the zeroes are on the unit circle and it doesn't work for AP because the zeroes are outside the unit circle; in either case the poles would not be stable.

As for equating phase-shift with time-delays, it just doesn't work. The fact that we have multiple concepts such as phase-delay and group-delay should make it pretty obvious that the "time delay" really depends on what aspect of the signal you are looking at.

Just as a followup to my original post, I realized that (of course), given two phase-shifted sine signals (whatever the phase shift is) you can construct a sine signal with any other given phase shift simply by mixing them.

Z1202 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:42 pm Just as a followup to my original post, I realized that (of course), given two phase-shifted sine signals (whatever the phase shift is) you can construct a sine signal with any other given phase shift simply by mixing them.
Any n linearly independent vectors in R^n form a basis. ;)

mystran wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:03 pm
Z1202 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:42 pm Just as a followup to my original post, I realized that (of course), given two phase-shifted sine signals (whatever the phase shift is) you can construct a sine signal with any other given phase shift simply by mixing them.
Any n linearly independent vectors in R^n form a basis. ;)
Yup, that was it :D

Got this screenshot debugging FPGA, think it paints a good picture of phase distotion in the audio.
debugging.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”