HOWTO macOS notarization (plugins, app, pkg installers)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think altool password is for the binary itself.

The password is for using the tool itself.
Just the once will be fine.

*SNAP!* 😀

quikquak wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 am The password is for using the tool itself.
Just the once will be fine.
discoDSP wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 am I think altool password is for the binary itself.
Thanks for replies!

Now, everything is "really" clear.

Time to wait approval from Apple... :roll:
https://www.patreon.com/analogobsession Support for free VST3, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

Waiting for what exactly?
You pay them money, and they give you a dev account.

quikquak wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:18 am Waiting for what exactly?
You pay them money, and they give you a dev account.
Not paid yet. My account has no two factor authentication. I tried to get authentication but Got email that i can get authentication next month.

Got email about my account. Says that my account is old and i have to wait for being approved. They gave me specific time to get authentication...
https://www.patreon.com/analogobsession Support for free VST3, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

OK thanks, I've never heard of that before.

Just want to say thanks to George and everyone else who provided info in this thread. It has been a life saver! I've managed to code sign and notarize all of our plugins successfully!

One thing I'm confused about though, Apple announced something about adjusting prerequisites to allow for notarizing software created with older SDKs. Is this a temporary thing until Feb 3? That's what the wording sounds like, but it's not clear. If so, does this mean if a plugin is updated with an older SDK after this time, can it not be notarized again?

I really appreciate this thread with it I was able to figure out the Apple Notarization process quickly.

I have a problem found by beta testers on Mac OS 10.10.5 and PT 11.3.2 and PT 12 where ProTools says the plugin is not a valid 64 Bit plugin.

But the Plugin installs and passes digital signature validation on Mac OS High Sierra with PT 12.8 and higher. So ProTools says it’s valid.

I signed my AAX Plugin with pace Eden 5.2. tools and created a PKG installer with WhiteBox Packages latest version. I then notarized and stapled. The PKG installs fine on both systems but somehow the Sealed Resource folder is altered on Mac OS 10.10.5 but not on High Sierra.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Thanks!

Hi, maybe someone knows that...

If I'm going to "manually" perform plugins "signing" and "notarization" processes (both from command line, no Xcode scripts), may I complete everything from macOS/OSX version like 10.10 or 10.11 for example (or I need at least Mojave or more recent) ?

Thank you.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

XCode 10 requires macOS 10.13 so I think that’s the minimum.

Thank you George,

I don't want to use Xcode 10, for a number of (compatibility) reasons I want to keep using Xcode 4 for compiling and then (separately) make a terminal/command-line plugin signing and then notarization. No Xcode scripts, just from command line (terminal).

...or maybe the signing/notarization always needs some Xcode 10 (specific) components ? Am I missing something ?

AFAIK notarization tools are intrinsic to XCode 10 or higher but it should be OK if plugins are built with a macOS SDK equal or higher that 10.9 (with XCode 4 in your case) and then use codesign and altool from XCode 10.

discoDSP wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:11 pm AFAIK notarization tools are intrinsic to XCode 10 or higher but it should be OK if plugins are built with a macOS SDK equal or higher that 10.9 (with XCode 4 in your case) and then use codesign and altool from XCode 10.
Aaah, ok. So codesign and altool are part of Xcode 10... I believed they were simple OSX and/or macOS tools (used just to accede Apple's servers to complete the procedures). As time passes, it gets more and more twisted. On the mid-term, the simpler solution for developers seems to involve the purchase of a new Mac, at least.

Thank you George.

Hi,

I have trouble with notarization.

First, my settings...

10.14.6 / Xcode 10.3
Architectures : 64-bit Intel (ARCHS_STANDARD_64_BIT)
Valid Architectures : i386 - x86_x64 (Also, tried only x86_x64, too.)
Deployment Target : 10.9
Signing enabled with correct ID/Team

Just tried to notarize .pkg. Upload is fine. Getting "No Error" response via terminal.

But then, Apple sending "Your Mac software was not notarized" email.

And when i try to staple, getting this error.

CloudKit query for Installer.pkg (1/2c94773b9dff1f6c9fe9b800b81b6e64631a6b73) failed due to "record not found".

Could not find base64 encoded ticket in response for 1/2c94773b9dff1f6c9fe9b800b81b6e64631a6b73

The staple and validate action failed! Error 65.

What is wrong?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”