They keep calling my "babies" UGLY!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Definitely, or Inkscape?

Looks cheap tbh.

Colours are way too saturated (poor choice of colour too imo). Subtle is better.
'Bevels' look bad and very 90s.
The gradient in the middle of the interface is ugly. No need for it serves no purpose.
Font fuzzy when de-highlighted.
Proportions ans spacing could be neater.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:26 am Proportions ans spacing could be neater.
LOL - you mean like THIS?

plugin-alliance-shadow-hills-01-770x425.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't think the design is that bad. The magenta line/gradient in the background and bevels are probably where most users get the "dated" feeling. There are some places that look a little crowded, but there's already been feedback on that. The interface wouldn't bother me but I understand users are used to a first class experience.

Just as a general note, you may find some value in reading Apple's Human Interface Guidelines. They don't take any chances (that is, you won't find a page discussing the right wood panels to add) but if you're looking to modernize the interface they give some good advice. Microsoft has a page or two on this stuff too but it's not as comprehensive.

https://developer.apple.com/design/huma ... /overview/

Critique first. The biggest problem with it is that the colours are too saturated, which makes it hard to pick things out. See how just removing the hue and improving the contrast make sit look way more professional -

If you take this as a starting point, leave some primary colours in the foreground elements - the sweeps on the knobs and the graphs on the display - and add some muted colours in the background elements - display, button backgrounds, etc. - it will look a lot better.
Fender19 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:09 amWould any of you be surprised if I told you I used Skinman to create the background? Knobman does oversampling graphics (which I use), Skinman does not. I agree the text is not as sharp as it could be.
Maybe it's time to switch to Photoshop? Any other good plugin GUI designers?
I use a vector graphics application made by Xara. I've got the full-fat version but you could get your work done well with a more basic version, like this one, which is on sale at the moment for $50 -
https://www.xara.com/us/photo-graphic-designer/
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

It's not that bad, really. Sure, it feels a bit like something made of SynthEdit but I don't think improving it into something good will require all that much. The fake 3D is probably the worst. Make it a bit more spacier - and the magenta colour... I don't know. It's not beautiful but have a lot of character. Reminds me a bit about the Ensoniq Fizmo (which by many is regarded as the ugliest synth in the world - but I don't agree).

You are doing well. Just need to fine-tune it a bit. Make it spacier and simpler.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Fender19 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:14 am
Russell Grand wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:54 pm...those knobs, font, and overall "feel" scream free Synthedit plugin.
Oooo - ouch! But I asked for it and you're being honest. If that's the first impression I need to fix it!
I hope you also read my Edit in my original comment, Fender. As I stated: upon further reflection, I decided that I like the GUI more than my initial opinion. It's not a bad GUI and I honestly believe that I like your design more than other people here. Admittedly my first impression was not very positive, but as I said in my previous comment, I see where you were trying to go with the GUI design and layout, and with a few tweaks here and there, it could be a unique and interesting looking plugin.

I hope that I haven't offended you with anything that I've said as that was not my intention at all. :?

Clutter. Too much text around knobs, too many extra lines and colors that serve no purpose.

Try mobile-first paradigm - how would your plugin work on a mobile phone?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Fender19 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:16 am
Robmobius wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:26 am Proportions ans spacing could be neater.
LOL - you mean like THIS?

plugin-alliance-shadow-hills-01-770x425.jpg
Definitely not like that... :D
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

A pleasure for the input :tu:
and kudos to you for earnestly seeking out constructive criticism!
Affinity Designer is a UI powerhouse. It's mostly vector drawing with a few bitmap image filter goodies too... not a full image editor. There's Photoshop or Affinity Photo for deep image editing.
My approach to graphics is a lot like my approach to music, I don't expect to do everything in one package, and in fact I enjoy finding the unique strengths in various programs and mixing n matching.
Inkscape is free and very capable, a bit clunky, but patience brings rewards. Xara stuff as mentioned by Bones is good. Serif's pre-Affinity 32bit software is still available to buy at very reasonable prices...DrawPlus, PhotoPlus, or somewhere in the middleground, PagePlus, which I find very useful for document creation and graphic design. Imports and exports a huge variety of formats.
And of course PowerPoint has a few remarkable goodies tucked away in its depths too. If you can approach PowerPoint without any preconceived prejudices it will surprise you :)
For 3D design, I use Hexagon by Daz3D for modeling, and blender for rendering... but I'm a 3D noob (not nurb hehe!)
Last edited by xalama qo on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

I like what Bones did desaturating the image. That's like mixing in mono, gives a new perspective on the design in a clinical kind of way. Another almost mono-colour GUI that I think is good for reference is Dope by ujam. Almost a uniform light grey, but great definition of elements throughout and consistency in lighting and feel. It hangs together as a whole very well.
A bland blueprint type structure is a good place to start, and then add the colour and legending, just like an industrial designer would.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 am Try mobile-first paradigm - how would your plugin work on a mobile phone?
Who cares? Everything looks bad in a mobile phone.

Bones suggestions are a good starting point, IMO. And get rid of that horrible magenta - it's good for a carnival or clown costume, but not for everyday use.
Fernando (FMR)

The only problem I have with the magenta is that in the current market context it "prejudges" this plugin as a synthwave plugin, and I'm sure it's intended to be more versatile than that! So be aware of unintentionally creating the wrong impression just because you chose certain colours.
Red, green and yellow = reggae or dub. It's so easy to inadvertently pigeonhole yourself.

xalama qo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:39 am The only problem I have with the magenta is that in the current market context it "prejudges" this plugin as a synthwave plugin, and I'm sure it's intended to be more versatile than that! So be aware of unintentionally creating the wrong impression just because you chose certain colours.
Red, green and yellow = reggae or dub. It's so easy to inadvertently pigeonhole yourself.
Play safe - greenish, blueish, brownish and grey are the best colors for EVERYTHING we need to look at for a long time, IMO. I would avoid strong basic colors - they end up to be hurtful and tiresome.
Fernando (FMR)

Would you not consider paying a pro to do it? I'm sure if you looked around here you'd get a decent deal.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”