Why so few plugins check for available updates on-line?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of the most frustrating things with using VSTs (as opposed to e.g. Rack Extensions) is the fact that I never know if there's a new version of the plug-in available. Very few VSTs do this (Avenger, Voltage Modular... and I can't recall any other) and only the biggest rely on their multi-installers (Arturia, NI, Waves, iZotope).

Why is that? Doesn't VST standard support that and it needs to be programmed separately?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Programming DSP is completely different from programming web services. It always depends if there are developers in team who can handle it. After all it might be too small feature to set up completely different technology stack.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

>Doesn't VST standard support that and it needs to be programmed separately?

Not at all. The VST SDK is an API, not a library (roughly speaking). It's a collection of header files designed to interface your plugin with a host using a somewhat lightweight ABI. It doesn't offer ways to connect to the internet through the host or a library implementation. The VST API says "Here's a native window handle. You're on your own---have fun. We'll let you know when we need you to process an audio block."

VST is also not a package manager (like VCV Library for VCV Rack plugins). This is because Steinberg does not control a centralized VST library but instead offers their SDK free of charge and leaves distribution responsibility to the VST developer.

I haven't used this in a while, but Splice is essentially the package manager for (commercial) VST plugins, if that's what you're looking for. It distributes updates to your VST plugin to users if you distribute through their service.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

There is a cool lil' Windows program called VST Manager that can find & handle updates for many VSTs:

https://github.com/sdunnemucklow/VSTManager

Cheers, Björn

I do an online check for newer version with my plugins but I built i myself.
It is basically very simple, I already have a web server serving an API and the web page. Whenever I upload a new version of a plugin I just change a constant with a version that would be returned from the API.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Same here...

Cheers, Björn

I actually think there are enough plugin calling home, even without my consent. If it would be 100% anonymous I think it's great, but shouldn't be mandatory in a plugin standard as it'S not only part of the plugin side but also a web backend. And I don't want to get notified everytime I open a plugin :D

Totally agree... that's why in my plug-ins you explicitly have to check youself for updates via a menu command.
Remember that we in the European Union and especially in Germany are really concerned about your privacy... :hihi:

check.png

Cheers, Björn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”