Have you ever had to "motivate" the worthwhileness of musical DSP? How do you do it?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:10 am Again, there is this desperate need to achieve greatness. I'm not buyin' it.
I do not see anything about a need to achieve greatness - more a desire to create order out of chaos, and perhaps a purpose for survival.

It is implied by the first half of the first sentence of the quote - "The greatest men are not the knowers but the artists". I didn't read past there.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

This is an observation or interpretation of the commentator - nothing to do with the artists themselves.

Hi all,

Just to be absolutely clear, the quote is not my own opinion at all, and I frankly find it to be outrageous. My impression of Bloom's book was that it was a desperate attempt to preserve the cushy job as a professor of the humanities for future generations. The OP was asking for ammunition, so I provided it.

My own opinion is that if it were not for technical and other real-world-oriented people, there would be very few artists. If it were not for civilization (farmers instead of hunter-gatherers, semi-competent government and management, etc.), there would be very little if any leisure time for art.

Regards,
Dave Clark

PS: I would appreciate it if the poster who made it look like this was my opinion would edit his post to make it clear that I was quoting Allan Bloom. He has edited it such as to make it look like it's my own view.

I think music is highly therapeutic and the ability to affect one's own emotions with music is empowering. Music is one way to do this and modern DAWs make it very accessible.

Art itself is expression of emotions and ideas over any medium. Art can be used to convey very complex ideas and emotions, thus it can be a commodity in that sense, especially when it is a powerful idea and emotional set to drive it home.

I think most people express music to themselves and their companions, simply for the joy of doing so. I doubt I will ever see a major movie plot that centers around a chiptune, so I believe there is a certain levity to making music.

Mankind is a vain creature to start, measuring all by it's own perception. How many go to the streets and offer shelter and food to the ever-multiplying homeless and poor rather than focus on their own situation and gains... too few. Those that internally put good God above themselves are much more likely to have selfless modalities.

Personally, I think good deeds are the best art of all, an expression of compassion and love, potentially the most fullfilling of all. :)
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

WoodMan wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:32 amThis is an observation or interpretation of the commentator - nothing to do with the artists themselves.
True in isolation but look where it's being posted.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

DaveClark wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:51 pm Hi all,

Just to be absolutely clear, the quote is not my own opinion at all, and I frankly find it to be outrageous. My impression of Bloom's book was that it was a desperate attempt to preserve the cushy job as a professor of the humanities for future generations. The OP was asking for ammunition, so I provided it.

My own opinion is that if it were not for technical and other real-world-oriented people, there would be very few artists. If it were not for civilization (farmers instead of hunter-gatherers, semi-competent government and management, etc.), there would be very little if any leisure time for art.

Regards,
Dave Clark

PS: I would appreciate it if the poster who made it look like this was my opinion would edit his post to make it clear that I was quoting Allan Bloom. He has edited it such as to make it look like it's my own view.
Dave Clark, the Baron of Techno?

If so :hail:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

No, not the Baron. Sorry to disappoint! Nor of the Dave Clark Five. Nor the fan of Monster cables.

BONES wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:51 am True in isolation but look where it's being posted.
Where it was posted was purely a matter of chance, and it addressed the subject of this thread, not previous posts.

Regards,
Dave Clark

DaveClark wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:49 pm No, not the Baron. Sorry to disappoint! Nor of the Dave Clark Five. Nor the fan of Monster cables.
have you or do you work in tescos?

DaveClark wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:49 pm No, not the Baron. Sorry to disappoint! Nor of the Dave Clark Five. Nor the fan of Monster cables.
Sorry for that, you must get it loads.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Art is the ultimate expression and purpose of existence. The hierarchy goes like this:

Survival -> Expansion/Reproduction -> Unbounded expression (= art).

If you look at Maslow's pyramid, "self-realization" is at the top. I would argue, that art is a tangible expression of self-realization.

"The greatest men are not the knowers but the artists, the Homers, Dantes, Raphaels and Beethovens. Art is not imitation of nature but liberation from nature. A man who can generate visions of a cosmos and ideals by which to live is a genius, a mysterious, demonic being. Such a man's greatest work of art is himself. He who can take his person, a chaos of impressions and desires, a thing whose very unity is doubtful, and give it order and unity, is a personality. All of this results from the free activity of his spirit and his will. He contains in himself the elements of the legislator and the prophet, and has a deeper grasp of the true character of things than the contemplatives, philosophers, and scientists, who take the given order as permanent and fail to understand man."
This is very nietzschean.

In fact I'm surprised BONES couldn't bear to read it, as his posts came off a bit nietzschean too. :-p

Wasn’t Nietzsche schizophrenic? That would explain it... I bet Nietzsche would not read his own writings as well... But his writing is useless art anyway. To the contrary for example Goethes “Leiden des jungen Werther” drove a lot of young people into suicide... Its better to ban art, the only safe way to survive...

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”