Audio Programming/Plugin Development Blog for Beginners

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello All!

I'm normally working away on the sound design of games, film and television, but I've decided to open a foray into Audio Plugin Development and Audio Programming. I do not come from a computer science background, so i'm bumping into all sorts of issues, but I thought maybe it would be a good idea to yell this out into the void, and see if others are having the same issues as me. Hopefully they help someone, as I know I have definitely struggled to get started with C++ and audio programming being such a spooky topic to begin.

Anyway, if you are interested, check it out.

http://scowlingowlsound.com/blog​​​​​​​

Hey, I could contribute, if it's ok that I bring in more than JUCE.

I've been wanting to use Cabbage, FAUST and WDL-OL, rather than JUCE.

I think such blogs are most fruitful, when they give a lot of examples, rather than just technical explanations (which can be usually found from official docs, whereas good examples may not).

I'm a masters student in applied maths and I can offer some suggestions as to what to not write about. A lot of the stuff that you seem to write about seems to me to be something that's already said elsewhere. Also, there's some amount of redundant "rhetorics". I'd focus more on the point, rather than "having a talk".

I would suggest two approaches:

Keep your texts short. Make paragraphs as "self-contained" and "separate" as possible. Possibly try if you can add sub-headings to make it clearer as to what parts deal with what issues.

Fantastic! Just the advice I'm looking for. I can implement quite a few of these.

Much of the stuff I'm writing about has definitely been written about elsewhere, I guess I'm looking to climb the mountain via a different path (to add redundant rhetoric). I'm frustrated by the fact that nobody seems to lay it out in the way that makes sense to me, instead assuming I'll already know this from a different place, which is why I'm re-stating things said elsewhere. Much of the verboseness comes from not editing them properly. Sub-headings will definitely help in this way, I'll look at separating them out.

At this stage I'm not entirely sure I'd know how to assist if you're looking to get involved, but I'd be more than happy to share any writings you undertake, and maybe if the need for blogs is definitely there, we could look at setting up a blog with contributors on multiple topics as you've said. I think that could intriguing.

Thanks for the considered feedback, it means a lot!

Will you also be doing some tutorials on Soul?

I'll definitely be giving it a go at some point, considering how exciting it is! @meerpohl

Have been hard at work on the blog, wrote blog no. 5, all on the processBlock and how digital audio actually works! Check it out here;

http://scowlingowlsound.com/blog/2019/5 ... l8oyyjveho

Blog no. 6. More funky audio processing, sidechains and static casting
https://bit.ly/2HOBChY?fbclid=IwAR3k3X4 ... FvlGxVE7Xc

Thanks for sharing, David. We'll check this out too.

Joe
Audio Dev Academy - from JD Young and Yuri Guerin
-----------------------------------------------------------
audiodev.io Instagram Facebook

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”