Whats a good program that will insert auto "loop points" in samples so they can be played continuously ?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have got a few Synth pad samples that I want to loop continuously.

There is a program that will help me do this called Loop-Auditioneer, but I found for these kind of samples there was a slight glitch in the loops it was suggesting.
Maybe I'm not using it right, I don't know....

Anyway, I heard that Reaper can do this too, and other programs called WaveLab I think.

Has anyone got a good recommendation on a program, or better still, a tutorial that will help me out?

(I do own Kontakt5, and you can do it in there I think, but can you save those loop points in the WAV file to disc?)
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

1. If you want to go with sample-based synthesis, something like Iris 2 could help if generic looping sampler with fades is not enough.
2. If you are interested in stretching your pads to infinity creating an ambience, try Paulstretch.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

If your serious about making loops from pad samples, I would suggest a proper wave editor like waveLab (very expensive) or try Magix SoundForge (not so expensive and often on sale).
In SF you have a tool called the loop tuner, it will save loop points in the wav and in the full/pro version, one can create "Acid" loops.
The thing about looping any sample and even more so with pads, is to find the zero_crossing for the loop and have the volumes at both start and finish the same... also the content must be similar or you will get that noticeable "glitch".

Try the demo.
https://www.magix.com/gb/music/sound-fo ... forge-pro/

Although this is the upgrade link... you never know... Magix seem pretty keen on any sale ;)
https://www.magix.com/index.php?id=2500 ... xIg9dkTiWM

EDIT: Completely forgot about the free/donnationware Wavosaur, it can also create recognizable loop points
https://www.wavosaur.com/
Last edited by toonertik on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

That's called cross-fade looping. It's not an easy task as the most essential element is aligning the phase at the loop points to give the most smooth possible effect. There are also multiple types of cross-fade that apply better in situations where phase/frequency/amplitude are not identical apart from the standard equal-power or linear fades.
Last edited by aciddose on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

for that purpose i bought a old version of sound forge (pro 11) at 19€ on the sells and buy forums, and i'm really happy with it.

looping was a pain on audacity or ocenaudio.

High quality samples never include "raw" loops of the input directly. They always apply cross-fade looping because the effect is much smoother than is otherwise possible.

A direct loop is only possible if you match everything perfectly. For example consider the case where you have a tone at a certain frequency plus vibrato applied to that tone. You'll have to sample at minimum the least common multiple of both frequencies in order to find a way to smoothly loop both frequencies so the sample sounds continuous.

By cross-fade looping you can force this by "smudging" the sound together. This is extremely important when you don't just have two frequencies but hundreds of them at once along with various envelopes (such as orchestra samples.)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

toonertik wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:33 pm In SF you have a tool called the loop tuner, it will save loop points in the wav and in the full/pro version, one can create "Acid" loops.
thanks all. .. I actually have Soundforge, but its "Soundforge Audio Studio 10.0" I bought Sony Vegas a while ago and it came bundled. I might install it and look it over..., but first I have to find a DVD player !

Yeah, they only include the "studio" version but it does (well studio version 12 has) the cross fade editor... do have a look at wavosaur as it is a good editor to start to see how to make loops (it has a very simple but doable loop tool thingy )

toonertik wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:33 pm If your serious about making loops from pad samples, I would suggest a proper wave editor like waveLab (very expensive) ...
The "lite" version of Wavelab (WaveLab Elements) can do pretty much all the loop construction tricks that the full version can. It only costs about $100 USD and goes on sale for as much as 50% off at least once a year. For that price, it's money extremely well-spent.

Wavelab even has a section in the manual titled (something like) "Looping the Impossible-to-loop".

One bit of advice. It's considerably easier to construct seamless loops if you start with mono samples. Unless a stereo sample has zero-crossing points in identical locations in both channels, it becomes difficult to find good loop points unless you resort to loop crossfades.

Also, in all cases, you will find it far easier to construct seamless loops if you start with long samples. Don't be stingy with memory - that's cheap and plentiful these days.

dmbaer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 pm
1One bit of advice. It's considerably easier to construct seamless loops if you start with mono samples. Unless a stereo sample has zero-crossing points in identical locations in both channels, it becomes difficult to find good loop points unless you resort to loop crossfades.

2Also, in all cases, you will find it far easier to construct seamless loops if you start with long samples. Don't be stingy with memory - that's cheap and plentiful these days.
1: :tu:
2: I used to take a long sample and scan them for interesting single cycles to use in samplers like the EmulatorX or Dimension. This would turn them into OSCes, OFC this was before we have the new breed os synths that can do this and come with many SC_wavs.. think like synthmaster etc ;)

I've got Sound Forge 10 installed (not Pro).
I managed to create regions, but how do I convert these into endless loop points within a WAV file - what option/menu?
And to do the proper crossfading etc?
(image attached)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't think SF_audio studio has the tools to do what you want. I'm to bed soon, so will have a think tomorrow, unless someone else comes up with a solution.
First a couple of questions.
1: Do you want the WAV to play into the area you have "regioned" as a loop OR just that selected region as a looped WAV?
2: The region will be difficult to loop, try for a different selection.. see my pic with a more suitable loop ENTRY point.. highlight red.
SF_Loops.jpg
Maybe you should download wavosaur, as it has a method to produce loops.
What happens, if I remember correctly, is that some info is placed in the wav header, code that most DAWs, samplers etc can read. Wavasaur writes this code. I am not sure your version of SF does this. Have a look in the SF help, either the manual or included help file. Search LOOP.. ;)
Gonna get horizontal and watch TV now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toonertik wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:16 pm I don't think SF_audio studio has the tools to do what you want. I'm to bed soon, so will have a think tomorrow, unless someone else comes up with a solution.
First a couple of questions.
1: Do you want the WAV to play into the area you have "regioned" as a loop OR just that selected region as a looped WAV?
Thanks. The wave file in the picture is not what I want to loop, I just put it there for demonstration purposes.
I want to loop a synth pad sample. Actually I recorded a number of multisamples I want to loop.
I want the user to hold down a key on their midi keyboard and have the sample synth pad play continuously, as seamlessly as possible.

This may sound stupid.. though:
Wouldn't the possibility to have different loops defined for left and right channel solve this easily?
From hours of Wavelab work my headache is always related to finding zero crossings for both channels at the same point in time..

Naturally playback needs to support this as well though :)

Björn Bojahr Endless WAV (Freeware) is a specialized sustain loop tool.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”