SynthEdit for commercial products

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SynthEdit

I have an idea for a plugin I'd like to sell. I think JUCE would be the best thing to write it in. Its GUI will just be a few sliders and maybe a dropdown. I'm trying to learn JUCE and just discovered SynthEdit (via a YouTuber I watch). Is it a legitimate option for commercial plugins? I would probably just write the guts in C++ and use SynthEdit for the GUI.

Specific things I can't find much info about:
- How is high-DPI handled?
- Can you only export to Windows VST 2 & 3 and Mac AU? Do users expect more than that?
- Is it buggy? After fooling around with it for a few minutes it seems like maybe it is.
- How would licensing work? There seems to be an "Un-Registered (nag user)" checkbox in the "Export VST" screen but I can't figure out what it does (I'm using the demo and the documentation is scarce).

It's buggy unless You make things bare bones. Especially confusing is the realization that there are 32 bit only and 64 bit only user contributions.

I intend to get into synthedit and make all kinds of contributions. with DSPRobotics forum going down, it has Me worried but I will do both. Ableton does not even support VST3 of course.
My Music Site: http://www.leattol.com
My Amazing 32 Bit Win EQ: LA bands 15 band EQ

wolverine6 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:34 pm Ableton does not even support VST3 of course.
Fun Fact : The Ableton Live 10.1 beta has VST3 support
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

> Is it a legitimate option for commercial plugins?

There exist commercial plugins written with SynthEdit, so yes. Also SynthEdit attracts zero licensing fees, so you get to keep all your profits.

>How is high-DPI handled?
SynthEdit's graphics now handle DPI automatically and scale as appropriate.

>Can you only export to Windows VST 2 & 3 and Mac AU?

Yes, but be aware that distribution of VST2 is now restricted by Steinberg. The advantage of sticking with VST and AU only is that you have access to a wide audience, but don't have the cost of supporting the more obscure formats.

>How would licensing work? There seems to be an "Un-Registered (nag user)" checkbox in the "Export VST" screen but I can't figure out what it does.

The 'nag user' option simply pops up a message once in a while, i.e. to nag the user into purchasing your plugin.

Hope that's helpful,
Jeff

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”