Why is Steinberg working so hard to kill off VST2 when it works so well?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

Congrats you MAY have passed the Turing Test :D

Actually it is true. I think, therefore I AM. Consciousness does have affect on reality, even if only in a limited way.

But what is undisputed universal truth since the dawn of time remains and will always be: "VST3 stinks".
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Vertion wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:23 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:12 pm
Vertion wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:09 pm Prove that you exist.
Cogito, ergo sum.
Good guess. But I need to see the facts and evidence first. How do I know it's true?
:D
I have become 'être-pour-autrui' as you struggle to overcome your bad faith. You are not 'être-en-soi', but 'être-pour-soi'; continue to walk your ontological path and you will no longer be haunted by your ens cause sui.

Taylor might be a good place to start if you want to further your investigation into being: he starts with Augustine of Hippo, and progresses to Sartre and beyond.
Sweet child in time...

Actually, I'm studied up. Intellectualization and deep philosophy were the first half of my life, then started a deep spiritual journey and had life experiences few have had. In the end, I can say, it's best to let all that go and just live life, and use VST2 or open standard formats only. Joking aside. How smart we are, or praised for doesn't really matter in the end. Just enjoy the quality time with the good people in your life and be good to them and yourself. Also, VST3 stinks.

Vertion wrote:Also, VST3 stinks.
They said that about Sir John Harrington's invention, but they're not saying it anymore...
Sweet child in time...

quikquak wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:27 pm Congrats you MAY have passed the Turing Test :D
Quikquak, you make the awesomest plugins. Rayspace is discontinued. *cries* i bought the bundle a few years back. Glass Viper is very beautiful. On my current screen, the GUI is very small and too difficult to make stuff. I use both of these, Rayspace especially. May I be of service to help these lovely creations blossom into new versions? GUI work? Anticracking? Code contribution? Atm, The only thing I have going is a midi effect song generator.

VST3 may not be the best path for the future, but we need to move to something based on a more current Windows foundation. VST2 is a ticking time bomb. It is not really a question of if, but one of when a new Windows Update breaks all or most VST2 plugins. I could be 10 years from now. It could be next month. When it happens don't expect Microsoft to care. I hate Windows updates, but you really can't avoid them. A fairly recent one broke the MK1 versions of NI's Komplete Kontrol.

UV1 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:38 am VST3 may not be the best path for the future, but we need to move to something based on a more current Windows foundation. VST2 is a ticking time bomb. It is not really a question of if, but one of when a new Windows Update breaks all or most VST2 plugins. I could be 10 years from now. It could be next month. When it happens don't expect Microsoft to care. I hate Windows updates, but you really can't avoid them. A fairly recent one broke the MK1 versions of NI's Komplete Kontrol.
A windows update can't break the VST2 sdk ....

aciddose wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:08 pm I can write proper documentation[...] This took me EIGHT MINUTES.
Took you 8 min for what? Finding, or writing? (Took me abt 8 min to fully read)
You think that is that long or short?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Vertion wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:43 pm VST3 stinks
As VST2 does but everyone is used to it.

BertKoor wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 am
aciddose wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:08 pm I can write proper documentation[...] This took me EIGHT MINUTES.
Took you 8 min for what? Finding, or writing? (Took me abt 8 min to fully read)
You think that is that long or short?
It's an example of the fact that the lack of proper documentation being written by the authors 20 years ago was ABSOLUTELY INTENTIONAL. The reason they didn't document VST was to prevent competitors from writing compatible hosts or plug-ins using the interface. They provided the interface purely to allow authors to write plug-ins FOR CUBASE and not for any other reason.

It was not a question of time or effort or whether it could be done. My documentation is only a start by commenting members of the aeffect struct. Full documentation would likely be best written in a wiki format and in far greater detail.

One example is where I stated "set parameter = ensure get parameter provides an equal value." This is not required and not even ideal in some circumstances.

The actual rules are:
  • Hosts must allow for the plug-in to quantize input in an arbitrary way and must not rely on set parameter == get parameter.
  • Plug-ins must ensure that set parameter with the value from get parameter results in identical get parameter output.

Code: Select all

// example test case:
// (plug-ins should be tested with this behavior verified on every parameter.)
const float x = get_parameter(i);
set_parameter(i, x);
assert(x == get_parameter(i));
This pair of rules provides the host with access to the plug-in's parameter quantization without an additional quantize() function. In order to quantize a parameter the host need only call set parameter then read the quantized value back out with get parameter.

So there are additional details in many cases that could be expanded upon. My comments should provide some basic info that is essential and should have been included in the struct from the very beginning.

"It doesn't need comments, it's self documenting." said by bad programmers who write unreliable convoluted code every day.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Just trying to make sure I got this right. Steinberg is like acting like Barr coming in and trying to drop his interpretation (VST3), when the people are saying they want the original unredacted version (VST2)? :lol:

Vertion wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:34 pm
quikquak wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:27 pm Congrats you MAY have passed the Turing Test :D
Quikquak, you make the awesomest plugins. Rayspace is discontinued. *cries* i bought the bundle a few years back. Glass Viper is very beautiful. On my current screen, the GUI is very small and too difficult to make stuff. I use both of these, Rayspace especially. May I be of service to help these lovely creations blossom into new versions? GUI work? Anticracking? Code contribution? Atm, The only thing I have going is a midi effect song generator.
Thanks man, yeah Rayspace was heavily 32 bit entrenched and the registration system was a nightmare to admin since the two OSs introduced the gateway malarkey. It might get remade with
Juce like my other plugs eventually.

PLEASE remake it and improve upon the idea! RaySpace was a brilliant thought, just needs to be updated for the new times (and better CPUs, so more rays, better algorithms, more complex room creation...)

Thanks. I don’t want to fall into the absolute accuracy category like Odeon, but yeah, it’ll have multi threaded advantages. Anyway, off topic a tad! 🙂

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”